NDI HX Camera 4+
The official NDI® Camera. Turn your phone or tablet into a live video production camera.
NDI® (Network Device Interface) is a low latency IP video protocol developed especially for professional live video production, and is supported by an extensive list of broadcast systems from many manufacturers.
NDI® HX Camera turns your iOS imaging devices into high-quality wireless a/v sources for NDI-enabled broadcast systems and software on the same network. Your device’s output is automatically recognized by NDI-enabled* video systems, ready to be mixed into live shows or even for use as a web camera when used in conjunction with NDI® Tools (ndi.tv/tools).
* Note: Requires support for NDI v.4 or better.
• Easy to use
• iPhone and iPad compatibility
• Front/rear camera selection
• Auto Focus, AF Lock, or tap to focus
• Auto Exposure, AE Lock
• Manual exposure compensation
• Light on/off (on supporting devices)
• Audio mute
• Optional grid overlay
• HI Bandwidth (up to 4K), medium (up to 1080p) and standard (640x480) modes
• Simple pinch zooming
• Automatic NDI device recognition
• Connection notification and tally (on air/preview) displays
• Knowledge Base Articles https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=iphone&commit=Search
• NDI Forums https://forums.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php/360-NDI-%28Network-Device-Interface%29
• Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XZujmgL3uc&t=4s
Now serializing the bandwidth setting. Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Heats up both iPhone 6s and X
I used the app on both an iPhone 6s and an iPhone X. It does look much better than a webcam, specially the iPhone X because of the camera. It was simple enough to connect it to OBS as well; however, I had some challenges:
1) Both phones heated up too much when running the app. The iPhone 6s even issued a warning and shut off itself which I never saw doing before. Therefore this avoided me from using this app to replace my webcam, which is why I gave it three 3 stars, because it’s a free app I didn’t give it a lower rating.
2). The WiFi generates a delay between the audio and the video, so I had to tune it on the OBS mixer, it took several tests, but it was ok. The real problem was that the next day the delay was different so I had to readjust the settings which was annoying. There should be an option to use the cable from my point of view.
Again, since the app is free I didn’t want to give it a lower rating and I’m hoping the heating up issue can be fixed with an update. I want to try a different application which allows to connect the cable since I’m just looking to replace the webcam with the iPhone 6s. Unfortunately I’m hesitant because the other apps cost money and they have bad reviews.
Was working great, started to get choppy
I was using this to connect my iPhone 11 to OBS on my Mac to record 1080p. I’m also planning to use this to stream. The video recording that came out was nice and smooth for the most part. However, today the video seems to be choppy. I tried using another app called EpocCam to connect to OBS also through NDI and the connection was much more smooth - and there was a lot less latency from what I could monitor on my phone to what OBS was monitoring - it was almost instant. The issue with EpocCam is it was not recording audio. Although I am recording audio separately from video, I use the iPhone audio in order to sync up the video after the recording. I am wondering if this choppiness was introduced because of the most recent update... my internet speeds are well above 200Mbps albeit on WiFi. I can’t really explain why just two days ago the app was working much better than now. Can anyone from NewTek help out? Otherwise the app and functionality are great. I do wish they would add ultra wide support for the iPhone 11 though.
Color coded borders are cool
I’ve been using this every day since April. It is rock solid good stuff!!
Recently, I have added camera operators - not just setting up 3 static shots. The operators noticed that when using this app to send video to Wirecast, the border around the image changed. Blue connected, Green in preview, Red the image is live. I love it, that really helps them out.
There are red covers you can put over the flash on the phone because some video software can turn on the flash when the camera is live. I don’t know if this would be a Wirecast feature or an NDI app feature to enable turning on the flash. Being able to signal to the front of the camera that it is live would be useful to let people know what camera to talk to.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- NewTek, Inc.
- 4.2 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 NewTek Inc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.