NeoOffice now runs natively on Apple Silicon.
NeoOffice is an office suite for Mac that is based on OpenOffice and LibreOffice. With NeoOffice, you can view, edit, and save OpenOffice documents, LibreOffice documents, and simple Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents.
Two engineers created NeoOffice in 2003 when they made OpenOffice run natively on OS X for the first time. Since then, the NeoOffice engineers have continually added improvements to NeoOffice that you will not find in OpenOffice or LibreOffice such as:
• Native Dark Mode
• Native accents menu by holding down a key on the keyboard
• Native tabs by enabling the "Prefer tabs" system preference
• Native full screen mode
• NeoOffice > Open at Launch menu to open Calc or Impress instead of Writer at launch
• File > Browse All Versions menu to restore previous versions of your documents
• Native file locking to safely edit files in iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or network drives
• Native Mac grammar checking
• Native Mac text highlighting
• Support for Mac Services
• Native floating tool windows
Before you buy NeoOffice, please click on the "Support" link and read the installation notes.
This version of NeoOffice fixes the following bugs:
• When using the Sifr icons while in Dark Mode, most Sifr icons were nearly impossible to see against the color of NeoOffice's toolbar background
• When using mail merge, NeoOffice would unexpectedly quit when transitioning between some of the panels in the Mail Merge Wizard and would fail to save the mail merge results
• When pasting HTML into a Writer document, NeoOffice would sometimes crash
• When undoing text that has been changed using the Chinese conversion dialog, LibreOffice bug #91995 would occur in NeoOffice
• When dragging images from the Finder, dropping the image into NeoOffice would fail
Ratings and Reviews
I have a problem with this version.
I have been with Neooffice from the beginning, but sadly the latest version has a quirk that is driving me away. The styles “Default Formatting” function has been replaced by “Clear Direct Formatting.” The “Default Formating” was very useful, in fact essential in circumstances when reformatting a document which was originally badly formatted. It would seem that the new function would just be a name change, but I can’t get it to work the way the old function did. I hope this will be changed back in the next version. This function is so important that I have been using the Classic version, but they keep scolding me with a pop-up web page for using an old version.
Just got this, and strange behavior already. An RTF document that TextEdit won't open. But NeoOffice will open it! Good! BUT, all paragraph breaks are lost! Okay, copy the text and PASTE it into TextEdit... the paragraph breaks are back! Good! BUT. the first letter of every line is deleted!! The fault of the file? Maybe...but the free BBEdit Lite opens it fine, paragraph breaks and first letters intact! Can only conclude this is a bug of NeoOffice.
As Good as Libre Office Software
I have been using Libre Office Suite for several years. I have about 10 years of business spreadsheets and such on it. Wih the recent crack down from Apple to only allow notarized apps to work in Catalina, I decided I needed to go thru the App Store and try Neo Office. I have opened, changed, manipulated, created, etc several spreadsheets and this works as well as stand alone Libre Office. I like the interface better in Neo Office. I was relieved that the App Store had this. Worth the small cost aand peace of mind.
The developer, Patrick Luby, indicated that the app’s privacy practices may include handling of data as described below.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Patrick Luby
- 363.8 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © 2003 - 2022 Planamesa Inc.