Silicon Mac users: NeoOffice is an application based on Intel. You must install Apple's Rosetta to run NeoOffice on Apple Silicon.
NeoOffice is an office suite for Mac that is based on OpenOffice and LibreOffice. With NeoOffice, you can view, edit, and save OpenOffice documents, LibreOffice documents, and simple Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents.
Two engineers created NeoOffice in 2003 when they made OpenOffice run natively on OS X for the first time. Since then, the NeoOffice engineers have continually added improvements to NeoOffice that you will not find in OpenOffice or LibreOffice such as:
• Native Dark Mode
• NeoOffice > Open at Launch menu to open Calc or Impress instead of Writer at launch
• File > Browse All Versions menu to restore previous versions of your documents
• Native file locking to safely edit files in iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or network drives
• Native Mac grammar checking
• Native Mac text highlighting
• Support for Mac Services
• Native floating tool windows
Before you buy NeoOffice, please click on the "Support" link and read the installation notes.
This version of NeoOffice fixes the following bugs:
• When running on macOS Catalina or Big Sur, clicking on the menubar would sometimes cause NeoOffice to crash in Apple's native menubar code
• When applying a table theme to a table in an Impress document, NeoOffice would crash due to RedHat crashing bug #1255200
• NeoOffice would ignore any Thunderbird or Firefox certificate paths set in the Options dialog or via the MOZILLA_CERTIFICATE_FOLDER environment variable
This version also includes code backported from the OpenOffice 4.1.11 code that fixes several document signing security vulnerabilities.
Ratings and Reviews
I have a problem with this version.
I have been with Neooffice from the beginning, but sadly the latest version has a quirk that is driving me away. The styles “Default Formatting” function has been replaced by “Clear Direct Formatting.” The “Default Formating” was very useful, in fact essential in circumstances when reformatting a document which was originally badly formatted. It would seem that the new function would just be a name change, but I can’t get it to work the way the old function did. I hope this will be changed back in the next version. This function is so important that I have been using the Classic version, but they keep scolding me with a pop-up web page for using an old version.
Super Office replacement
NeoOffice offers a superb implementation of LibreOffice that is much better-looking and more "Mac-like" than LibreOffice. My only feature request is the following: if a Writer document has a text color of black in "light mode," that text color should automatically switch to white in Dark Mode, without the user having to manually change the text's color to "Automatic."
As Good as Libre Office Software
I have been using Libre Office Suite for several years. I have about 10 years of business spreadsheets and such on it. Wih the recent crack down from Apple to only allow notarized apps to work in Catalina, I decided I needed to go thru the App Store and try Neo Office. I have opened, changed, manipulated, created, etc several spreadsheets and this works as well as stand alone Libre Office. I like the interface better in Neo Office. I was relieved that the App Store had this. Worth the small cost aand peace of mind.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Planamesa Inc
- 255.9 MB
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
English, Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2003 - 2021 Planamesa Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.