One of the deepest, richest gameplay found in any game on any platform, NetHack is a cult classic since its release in 1987, and has since spawned many descendants (including Diablo). gandreas software now presents this classic for the iPhone/iPod Touch:
- Playable in either "ASCII" mode, or graphics mode (just rotate the device to switch)
- Obscure keyboard commands replaced with a simple taps for movement, or a handy command picker.
- Commands can also be activated by a unique gesture based command - want to search for a secret door? Swipe across the top of the play area (all the gestures are shown on the command picker for easy reference)
- Graphics can be zoomed in/out via pinch
- Completely faithful NetHack experience (all the levels, monsters, potions, scrolls, etc...)
- iPhone UI - standard scrolling lists, pickers, etc...
- Multiple tiles sets, from the classic to the sublime
- Never see a keyboard unless you are doing something like typing in a name!
Can you retrieve the Amulet of Yendor and return to the surface?
Ratings and Reviews
Classic game, needs to be fixed
I have always loved nethack and I got to play this port when I found it on the iPhone 4. Interface was great and almost everything worked (occasional crashes were an issue - but just like having your mind eaten by a mind flayer so too, I suppose, is the risk of getting randomly crunched under the mighty heel of a software crash). However I have now upgraded to iPhone 6 with latest software (8.0.2 at time of writing) and it won't even launch properly. Please fix this game! I miss it.
Just a few problems...
My games do crash occasionally, but when they do, if I press restore at the startup, it works fine. One crash cause is selecting an un-enhancable (needs training) skill while there is another skill you can enhance available, and pressing done.
If the game didn't crash when you died, it would be fine. If that crash is ever fixed, when you select 'no' to restore after crash, it should say an are you sure? Message.
The force command isn't in the picker, and options aren't saved between lives (likely because of the crash upon a death). Those would be nice fixes.
All in all, it is very convenient and streamlined, once you learn most of the commands by muscle memory. Instead of using them straight from the picker, close it and do the glyph on your screen. You will learn fast.
Also, it needs a way to enter wizard mode!!!!!!
I've heard nothing except good things from my friends about this game. So I said, "Hey, I think I'll give it a shot." Went to the App Store, and, voila, it's free! So one click and a fingerprint later, it's downloaded. I launch the game, and it's a black screen that says iPhone NetHack 2008 (or something along those lines). Nothing happens. Occasionally, I'd get it to a character creation screen, it seems, and then it'd freeze there. What's the issue? Why can't I play? I have an iPhone 6, why is this miniature game crashing on me? Please help me. And thank you.
- Glenn Andreas
- 6.5 MB
Requires iOS 2.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2009 gandreas software
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.