It’s like podcasts, but for reading.
NetNewsWire is a free and open source RSS reader. It’s fast, stable, and accessible.
NetNewsWire shows you articles from your favorite blogs and news sites — and keeps track of what you’ve read.
If you’ve been going from page to page in your browser looking for new articles to read, let NetNewsWire bring them to you instead.
Take back control of your news. And have fun doing it!
* Direct feed-downloading
* Syncing via iCloud, Feedbin, Feedly, BazQux, Inoreader, NewsBlur, The Old Reader, and FreshRSS
* Multiple accounts
* Dark Mode
* Custom article themes
* Reader view
* Share sheet
* Starred articles
* All Unread and Today smart feeds
* Importing and exporting OPML feed lists
* Background refreshing
* Hiding read articles
* Timeline customization
* Keyboard shortcuts
* Context menus
* Support for multiple windows
* Special support for Reddit and Twitter feeds
* Home screen widgets for today, unread, and starred articles
* Share extension
* Article themes: several themes included with the app, and you can create your own — make the reading experience exactly the way you want it
* Some syncing bugs and some crashing bugs fixed
Ratings and Reviews
A free premium experience
I’m using voice dictation on the iPhone to write this review. So my apologies for any weird words. I can’t say enough about this app. It has so many features that other paid apps have if it’s absolutely free. Are used to use the Google RSS reader until they shut that project down. And then I used a very nice paid RSS reader. However it was becoming annoying to spend money every year just to keep access to that app. NetNewsWire provides all the features that I liked from thePaid up I used to use. These features include full support for iOS accessibility feature called voice over. Dark mode support, iCloud syncing support, the ability to tap one button and see the full text of the article, and so much more. This is one of those few applications that I don’t hesitate to recommend people. My hat is truly off to the developer.
Could be more awesome
This app is great. I like being able to view RSS feeds in a simple view and access all of the features of a typical feed reader. However, there should be some other features too.
1. Group your RSS feeds. If I have multiple feeds that relate to the same topic, why can’t I group them? There should be a way to browse through your articles by group and see articles that are only related to a specific topic while maintaining iCloud sync in one account.
2. There should be an option to manually “delete” RSS feed items by swiping left instead of right. This is different from deleting an entire feed and all of the articles in it. By “delete”, I mean hide an article from your list and remove the download from your device.
3. Speaking of downloads, there should be an option to see how much space your downloaded RSS feed articles take up on your device and manage the ones you no longer need.
4. More themes would be great. You should be able to make a custom theme using a main color and an accent color. For example, the app can be made green with the menu buttons being a lighter green. Maybe there could be an option to change the app icon for NetNewsWire.
Other than that, I think this app is great!
I really appreciate the light and dark mode support and native experience of the app. Swiping between the articles is great. Works well on iPhone and iPad.
I kinda wish there were headers shown between days so I could easily see when I’ve advanced to the previous day’s content. I tend to open the app, scroll down to the bottom, then read up so I can read them in the order they were created. The Today section usually works well for this except I miss the content posted late the night before so I switch back and forth between that and All Unread which is a bit annoying.
Overall, would recommend! Definitely can’t beat the price ha
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Brent Simmons
- 17.9 MB
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2022 Brent Simmons