Keep your mind sharp with word games from The New York Times. Free to download, the app offers puzzles for every level so you can steadily improve your skills. From the classic Crossword to Spelling Bee, we’ve got a word game for every player.
Upgrade your downtime with the following features:
• AD-FREE WORD GAMES: There are never any ads to disrupt the fun in our Crossword app, so you can play without distraction.
• THE CROSSWORD: Looking for a classic word game? Subscribers can play the same puzzle that’s printed daily in The New York Times newspaper in our app. This puzzle increases in difficulty from Monday to Saturday, so there’s something for everyone.
• SPELLING BEE: Is scrambling your strong suit? Play Spelling Bee and see how many words you can make with 7 letters. Play Spelling Bee at your own pace throughout the day. New Spelling Bee puzzles are available daily.
• THE MINI CROSSWORD: Short on time? The daily Mini is all the fun of our iconic Crossword puzzle, but you can solve it in seconds. These word games don’t increase in difficulty throughout the week and feature simpler clues.
• LEADERBOARDS: Start a friendly competition with our Mini leaderboards. Add up to 25 friends to see who can solve today’s Mini puzzle the fastest.
• PUZZLE ARCHIVE: Sharpen your skills with thousands of word games. Subscribers get access to our archive of over 10,000 editions of The Crossword and over 2,000 Mini Crossword puzzles.
• STATS: Track your progress with performance stats for The Crossword. Monitor your average solve times, see how many puzzles you can solve in a row or improve your solve rate.
DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS:
Download our app to be automatically enrolled in a no obligation 7-day free trial with all subscriber benefits. After the trial ends, you can purchase a monthly or annual New York Times Games subscription.
Get unlimited digital access to all our games, the Crossword archives, and all subscriber benefits with a monthly or annual subscription. See our subscription offers for further details.
PAYMENT AND AUTOMATIC RENEWAL TERMS:
IF YOU SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEW YORK TIMES GAMES VIA THIS APP, PAYMENT WILL BE CHARGED BY APPLE TO YOUR APPLE ID ACCOUNT AT CONFIRMATION OF PURCHASE. YOUR APPLE ID ACCOUNT WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY CHARGED FOR RENEWAL AT THE APPLICABLE RATE SHOWN TO YOU AT THE TIME OF SUBSCRIPTION EVERY CALENDAR MONTH (FOR MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTIONS) OR EVERY YEAR (FOR ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTIONS) WITHIN 24 HOURS PRIOR TO THE END OF THE CURRENT BILLING PERIOD. YOU WILL BE CHARGED IN ADVANCE. YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL AUTOMATICALLY CONTINUE EACH MONTH OR YEAR UNLESS IT IS CANCELED AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE THE END OF THE CURRENT PERIOD. TO CANCEL, PLEASE TURN OFF AUTO-RENEW AT LEAST 24-HOURS BEFORE THE END OF THE CURRENT PERIOD. YOU CAN TURN OFF AUTO-RENEW AT ANY TIME FROM YOUR ITUNES ACCOUNT SETTINGS. CANCELLATION TAKES EFFECT AT THE END OF THE CURRENT BILLING PERIOD.
BY DOWNLOADING THE NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD APP, you agree to:
• The automatic renewal terms stated above.
• The New York Times California Privacy Notices: http://www.nytimes.com/privacy/california-notice
• The New York Times Terms of Service: https://www.nytimes.com/content/help/rights/terms/terms-of-service.html
• Apple Terms of Sale: https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html
Please note: A subscription to New York Times Games does not include access to any other New York Times products, including but not limited to nytimes.com, New York Times Cooking, Wirecutter, mobile news content and other apps on non-iOS devices.
This version contains improvements to keep you solving smoothly!
Have feedback? Email us at email@example.com.
June is Pride Month! PRIDE PARADE has appeared in the Daily Crossword six times, and its clues have included “N.Y.C. event on the last Sunday in June” and “Outmarch?” The Pride flag was the theme of a memorable 2018 puzzle whose wordplay and 17x13 dimensions represented the flag's colorful stripes. Happy Pride!
Ratings and Reviews
Can no longer make in APP purchases
Now when I try to do a purchase there is no confirm button on the bottom half of the screen. On the top half on the right side it says double click to confirm. This banner is slightly moving but the item I am supposed to double click never appears on the screen. I have an iPhone X and have recently purchased Midi puzzles but now I can no longer purchase. I also looked at a annual subscription but the same screen issues.
Good News. I ended up googling my question and found the answer. That double click message: on the X phone on the upper right side there is a button one can push. So when it said to double click that’s the button they want you to push. So I ended up purchasing an annual subscription. Thought I’d have access to all the $2 - $4 Midi puzzles but that’s not the case. Of course you get access to the big Daily puzzle. But for the Midi’s you have to pay extra as if you had no subscription. BUT I do have access to the Midi archives and thus I have access to 28-31 puzzles for every month of archive.
You got a 5 star rating from me on my initial review when I was having technical problems. So no need to update that.
Developer Response ,
Hey cardsharky - please contact us via the Feedback button in the app so we can try to recreate your experience. Also be sure to update to the latest version of the app which supports iPhone X. Thanks for the feedback!
Nice app with some opportunities to improve
In general the basics are fine. Puzzle solving is easy and fun. The historical stats are useful. Restoring “packs” you have purchased previously is slow and unreliable on a new device or after and OS upgrade. This area could use improvement.
A few usability suggestions: - When you display the stats for a complete puzzle, you say “2 minutes faster than average” but most people probably want to know how they did compared to their *best* time. - On that note, a special badge or reward for beating your best time would be nice. - Why not also link to the Stats page from the results screen? It would be a convenient way to see how you’re doing overall. - The “Packs” need organization. For those of us who couldn’t care less about “minis” or “midis” why not at least separate the packs by puzzle type? It would also be nice to see some organization around difficulty and/or theme. The current undifferentiated list of scores of packs that you have to endlessly scroll through is not very useful.
There is a bug lately where the puzzles show a “locked” icon even though my subscription is current. I have to terminate the app and re-open for it to recognize I’ve paid. This has happened a few days in a row now. Hopefully not a difficult fix.
Addicting in a good way
I started doing the NYT crossword a couple years ago (in my 50’s) and while I initially found it difficult and frustrating, I slowly advanced through the week, just as the experts said. The app makes solving more fun and extremely portable, and has been a lifesaver during Covid when I’ve needed diversions from the ever-present bad news. The app is well designed and fun to use. My only “complaint” is the color coding of results. Yellow means you’re on a streak. Blue means you’ve solved it but not on the day of publication OR you needed help. I wish there was a finer gradation of results. To me, there’s a big difference between solving a Thursday puzzle but on a Friday vs having to have the app “reveal” answers that I couldn’t get on my own. For my own interest, I’d like to look back and see how my solving has progressed over months. When they’re all blue, I can’t tell if I really solved the puzzle on my own or not. I don’t really care if I did it in the alloted 24 hour window. Other than that, it’s a winner.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The New York Times Company (iDP)
- 32.2 MB
- Requires iOS 14.5 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.5 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.5 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020, The New York Times Company
- In-App Purchases
- New York Times Crossword Subscription $6.99
- New York Times Crossword Subscription $39.99
- Free Starter Pack $0.00
- Introducing the Midi $0.00
- Games - Monthly $4.99
- Jumbo Mondays $0.00
- 75th Anniversary $0.00
- Bite-Size Minis $0.99
- Mega-Mondays $8.99
- Best Easy Puzzles Ever $4.99