Local news updates can bring you closer to your community, and we need that now more than ever. Health scares and shutdowns are leaving us separated. Connection is key during these turbulent times. Get ready for your day with an app that delivers local news at scale across the U.S. Receive local headlines, breaking news, and relevant stories that matter to you straight to your phone, with News Break. Be one of the 45M+ locals that trust us to deliver your local news.
Now you can get news you care about directly from your home screen with our newly designed, customizable news widget for iOS 14. It's the best news widget that allows you to follow local and national news topics without any hustle.
Make your home screen a portal to your local community and the world. Get local news, US news and a personalized selection of news stories that matter to you.
Whether you’re interested in celebrity news, political news, business news or any other local news, News Break can help you find it. See all the trending news and get news alerts for what matters to you.
Know what’s going on in your local community and around the world. From curated local briefings to hand-picked national/world headlines, emergency alerts to crime stories, News Break is your must-have news app.
Local News Highlights
• Get a curated daily brief about local news, traffic, events, crime and more.
Follow local news, events and activities.
• Get local weather reports at a glance.
• Stay up to date with our coverage around protests and public safety.
• Browse national headlines and read comprehensive, in-depth stories.
• Use the discovery engine to discover stories from over 10,000 trusted sources, including Fox News, CNN, Business Insider, Newsweek, HuffPost, Reuters, The Associated Press (AP), Bloomberg, Time, and more!
Personalized News Feed
• Get the stories that matter to you with a highly personalized feed, relevant to your likes and dislikes.
• Keep up with celebrity news, business news, sports news and more – whatever you’re interested in!
• Our news aggregator collects and delivers the news that matters to you.
• Get news alerts customized to your tastes.
Your Community News
• Find local restaurants, deals, shop openings, and more ahead of time.
• Read personal and vivid stories from our local writers and content creators.
• Treat us as your personal newsstand, magazine collector, restaurant reviewer, and more.
Create Civic Value - Support the Cause
• Use News Break to revive the local news ecosystem and support small publishers
• Increase local story volume and geographic coverage to stimulate local storytelling and community power
Follow or Block the Trend - It’s Up to You
• It’s totally cool to stay on top of some topics, or totally hate them!
• News Break allows you to follow what is trending, or completely block some topics you don’t appreciate.
• You can laugh, share, think, cry, upvote, downvote, comment, reply...
• News Break is a free ground that welcomes you to express emotions & opinions.
Download News Break today and stay informed on local news!
Better informed, better life.
Hello News Break readers!
We are working overtime to continually improve your favorite local-news app. Our goal is to help people around the country live safer, more vibrant, more connected lives through the power of local news and information.
- This release brings bug fixes and performance improvements
Do you have feedback for us on how we can improve News Break? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
App for local and breaking news’ lovers
In the past few months, my mom and I’ve switched to get my news through Newsbreak. Its entire news feed revolves around our personal interests. I like the way they present the “Following” tab as well as “For You” tab, both delivering personalized news feed. I am also impressed by the numerous good-quality sources they have, which seems to be the key metrics for a good news app right now. The full coverage of local news is the reason my mom love this app and choose it, as my family can get the latest news from our county and the news around the world.
I do not get swamped with push notifications that much. .. the notifications I do receive are nice and gentle reminders of good stories that are available to read, which also reminds me that I have the application (which is nice! ). The only glitch is that sometimes they get me the old news stories in the notification, which confused me a little bit. I am looking forward to a way to report this error to the team so that they can do something about it. General speaking, Newsbreak is my favorite news app among several for now!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your positive feedback, Chrisz!
To keep focusing on “local news,” News Break will be initiating a series of updates that revolve around your local community. From Local Classifieds to inviting more media publishers in your neighborhood to partner with us. Please stay excited about the updates!
This app is fine I guess.... It customizes your news feed and stuff like that but... it always seems to notify me the most depressing of news even if it doesn’t relate to me. Perhaps there’s a setting I don’t know of but I feel like every 3 hours I’m being notified that someone’s grandma has just been diagnosed with cancer and die and painful horrible death alone... an exaggeration obviously but that’s how it feels. I’ll just be chilling then I get a notification, “Oop-, sos was found murdered. Suspect is orphaned child.” Like, 👀👀👀
Now for the *ahem* part. I believe this app can go toe-to-toe with Twitter on the amount of toxicity found in the comments. I swear, every time I go to a comment section- even on non political news articles- there’s some hate group complaining about something, normally more than one. I don’t think this is something that can be fixed because, freedom of speech, human rights, censorship, blah blah blah whatever.
But if you’re sensitive to white supremacist, racists, xenophobia, homophobia, atheist, Islamophobia, proselytizing, *inhale* anti-white, anti-Asian, far lefts, far rights, yada yada yada, ya get the point, you may wanna avoid the comments or idk find another app. 🤷♀️
I won’t say that it’s not frustrating. I hate it more than the depressing news every three hours thing.
I downloaded this app almost a year ago. I’ve loved it because it does provide notifications on what’s happening in my local area. However lately with the current COVID-19 crisis, it’s all the app has become about. It’s great for staying up to date on what’s happening with the corona virus, however as someone who struggles with anxiety, I’m disappointed and frustrated that every 3 hours I’m getting a notification for something virus-related. I could understand if it was letting me know about business closures in my area or info on the ever-changing stay-at-home order, but it’s not. For example, the most recent one had to do with the surgeon general predicting a high death toll in the next week and “9/11-like moments.” Last night it was something to do with Trump’s statements about the rising death toll as well. I get that it’s a news app, but it used to give me more info than just the current world crisis. I don’t need to hear about all the bad stuff, I’d love some more wholesome content. However I’ve decided to delete the app as I can’t see that happening anytime soon. Again, great app for staying up to date, but not if you’re already overwhelmed by it all. I’d recommend not downloading until the pandemic starts to clear up. 2 stars would be my current rating, but before all of this I would’ve given it 4.
Developer Response ,
Dear user, thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry to hear that you have had such a poor experience to read about too much negative news. As a news aggregator, News Break's database contains more than 10,000 media outlets and tens of millions of news articles. We aim to find quality and feel-good content from a diverse set of publishers and deliver the most important news to you.
I will deliver your suggestion to our editorial team and have them factor in your suggestion. Please stay safe and healthy!
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Particle Media Inc.
- 107.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © Particle Media Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.