News Explorer 17+
Newsreader with iCloud sync
News Explorer is a powerful yet remarkably easy-to-use RSS, JSON, Atom and Twitter newsreader with iCloud based synchronisation between iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV.
FULL iCLOUD SYNC
• News Explorer syncs your RSS, JSON, Atom, YouTube, Reddit and Twitter feeds, folder setup, news items, read statuses and favorites across all your Apple devices.
• Synchronisation is based on iCloud, so there is no need to login or to sign up into any other service, it just works out of the box.
• Built-in high speed RSS, RDF, Atom, JSON, Reddit and Twitter feed engine.
• Supports Twitter user, search, hashtags and lists feeds.
• Clean, 100% native, distraction-free user interface
• Article list with resizable thumbnails
• Feed level option to automatically open articles in Reader view
• Size, alignment and visibility of the thumbnails are adjustable.
• Built-in browser for viewing inline links and other references
• Themes, adaptable to your taste and mood
• Widgets for Home Screen and Today View
• Use automatic Reader view to read the full version of articles in a clean and easy-to-read format
• Mark items as favorite for later reading
• Navigate with one click to the original content
• Reply, retweet and like tweets in Twitter feeds without leaving the app
• Timeline view shows your news items in an attractive newspaper-like way
• Full text search
• Built-in image viewer to browse through all images of news items
• Share news items via email, Messages, Twitter, and more
• Built-in support to share items with Instapaper and Pocket
• Add new RSS, Atom and JSON feeds directly from Safari, using the 'Add to News Explorer' share extension
• Add RSS and Twitter feeds via the built-in search form
• Support to add manually RSS, Atom, JSON, Reddit and Twitter feeds
• Dedicated YouTube channel feed support
• Group your subscriptions with collapsible folders
• Rename and reorder folders and feeds, using drag-and-drop
• OPML import and export.
• Article reader with adjustable title and body font settings
• Global filters let you filter all feeds and related news on unread items and favorites
• External keyboard support
• Perform quick actions with horizontal swipes
• Pull subscription list to start a sync session
• App icon badge with unread items count
• Navigate to the next or previous item with animated swipe gestures
• You can set a default primary article view, such as Mercury Reader view, for all feeds.
• The default primary view can be overruled on feed or article level.
• Custom storage period for each item status (read, unread and favorite)
• Syncing with iCloud can be disabled, to use only the built-in high speed RSS engine
• And much more!
STATE OF THE ART
• Supports RSS 2.0, RDF, ATOM, JSON Feed, Reddit and Twitter news feeds
• Supports RSS feeds with HTTP digest and basic authentication
• iCloud sync with CloudKit
• Multiple Reader view engines
• Supports RTL articles
• Background app refresh
• Spotlight indexing with images
• Handoff support
• Notifications with images
• Quick Notes support
You only need to buy two apps to cover all Apple platforms:
• News Explorer for Mac is available on the Mac App Store.
• News Explorer for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Apple TV is a universal purchase app, available on the App Store of the mentioned devices. Universal purchase allows you to purchase News Explorer once, and then access it on all connected platforms.
SUPPORT AND FEEDBACK
If you have any questions or need support on News Explorer, then browse to https://betamagic.nl/support/newsexplorer/help.html, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or twitter to @elemanssoftware.
If you like News Explorer then feel free to leave a review or a rating in the App Store or to recommend it to a friend. It helps a lot!
• Auto high contrast when using Dark or System theme with max screen brightness.
• You can now search within an article with the new ‘Find on Page’ share sheet action (iOS 16).
• Restored the Print share sheet action in the Article viewer.
• An iOS 16 specific crash has been fixed related to incorrectly encoded feeds.
Ratings and Reviews
Love this app
I have been using various RSS readers for many many years at this point using aggregators like feedly after google shut their RSS service down. I have been using the Reeder app for iOS and Mac for the most part (also excellent) but I moved everything over to this app. I love that it illuminates the dependency on feedly, end it works seamlessly and like butter across all of my iOS devices. Meanwhile the RSS reader features are great as well including the various ways to mark articles as read Amongst all the other configuration options. I am looking forward to a little bit more functionality on the watch app as I like to use that when I’m waiting in line at a store or at a stoplight or whatever. Nice job developers
Finally. This is it.
Wow. Finally. I'm a UI snob. I've used RSS since it was developed. I've used the iPad since is was introduced, and instantly I realized it was the perfect RSS reading device. And now, after all this time, I've finally found an app that meets my expectations. I wanted something that uses as much core Apple technologies and UI style as possible. I wanted flexible themes text sizes. I didn't want the UI to be "unique". The best design is "invisible" meaning you don’t notice it because you're fully engaged with your task, and it's not getting in your way. This is it. It's not without fault. Putting feeds in folders is a total pain. But that's something you do rarely. I'm giving it a pass and 5 stars because it is much better than the competition, and allowed me to drop an aggregator subscription. I even had an excellent interaction with support (the dev himself) when I couldn't figure out my OPML file. He showed me what I was doing wrong. Bravo.
Something happened and it simply stopped working
UPDATE: I finally had to delete this app from all my devices because it simply began refusing to sync. Sometimes I would let it go for an hour and it would not sync my feeds. The app would lock up and I would have to force quit. It also cause some websites to think I was a robot trying to access the site and force me to solve a captcha just to read an article. My other news readers don’t do this. I tried EVERYTHING I could find on the dev’s website and nothing. I have no idea what happened but this clean, efficient app simply does not work any longer on my iPhone, iPad, or iMac. Sorry I had to abandon it.
This, quite simply, the best RSS news reader I have ever seen. With two very reasonable, non-subscription purchases, I have News Explorer running on EVERY Apple device I own. No third party account is needed (uses iCloud for syncing). Responses from the dev are quick, helpful, and friendly. Please support this developer and product.
Developer Response ,
Please recontact email@example.com so we can investigate the cause of this problem. Thanks!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ron Elemans
- 42.7 MB
- Requires iOS 14.7 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.7 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.7 or later.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 15.4 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2023 Betamagic
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.