Enhance your Desktop with NewsBar - the top selling Mac newsreader since 2011!
News Reading crafted to perfection! NewsBar is built with a fresh concept: news feeds delivered with a smooth animation, right to your desktop with automatic iCloud sync across your Apple devices. Converts any RSS and Twitter feeds into a realtime live news stream with categories, keyword watching and notification alerts.
All of your favourite RSS and Twitter feeds continuously appear on the selected side of your display or in a regular window. NewsBar is like having your own, personal news agency. You don't have to waste your time checking webpages: NewsBar will show you what's going on right now.
No delays, no waiting: stories appear right on your display, just as they are published. You can easily organize, read, follow, mark, filter and search news from your favourite feeds. Stories are read directly from RSS and Twitter sources without delay. NewsBar is probably the fastest RSS reader in the world.
There is no need to register any account or login into any service, news reading with NewsBar is simple, safe and private.
"If you’re looking for something a bit different in your RSS reader, I really recommend giving NewsBar a try, it’s a surprisingly powerful and enjoyable little app." - Mac Appstorm
Important: NewsBar is NOT a Twitter client. It's just an additional feature which allows to read selected Twitter feeds from sources where RSS not available. Twitter feeds should be added manually.
◦ News without delay
◦ High speed, efficient RSS engine
◦ iCloud sync across all Apple devices
◦ Smooth animation on news arrival
◦ Seamless Mac desktop integration with adjustable opacity
◦ Add new feeds and feed icons with Drag and Drop
◦ Organize feeds into user defined folders
◦ Single click opens RSS content in a popup window
◦ Double click opens news in your browser
◦ Auto hide read items
◦ Mark & share news
◦ macOS Notification Center support
◦ Star news for later reading
◦ News can be highlighted and filtered by keywords
◦ Keyword detection alerts using audible and visible cues
◦ Customizable interface (colors, fonts, size, gradient, opacity)
◦ Assign custom icon for each feed
◦ Twitter @user and #hashtag news feed reading
◦ Sync with Feedly
◦ RSS 2.0, ATOM support
◦ Send news to Pocket
◦ Customizable individual feed settings
◦ Import feed list from Google Reader takeout
◦ OPML feed list export and import
◦ Quick text search in all feeds
◦ Multiple display/desktop and Spaces support
◦ Menubar mode (App icon can be removed from dock)
◦ Very low CPU and memory usage
◦ Different refresh time can be set on Battery power
◦ Runs on all macOS versions from 10.7 and later, iCloud sync 10.10 or later
• Minimize to Dock
• Quick Text Search
• Add new Feed
• Show only Starred News
• Auto hide read items
• Show only Keyword filtered News
• Open Preferences
• Core update: NewsBar now compatible with latest
Mac OS releases
• Dark Mode support: NewsBar desktop now supports dark mode
• Compatible with Apple Silicon
• Improved sync: iCloud and Feedly sync improved
• Minor bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I guess it's exactly what it wants to be.
Like lots of RSS consumers, I've played with dozens of readers. This one is definitely non-intrusive. So much so that I usually completely forget about it. I just don't have that much unused screen real estate so that I can have a bar locked to one side without having other windows over it (and I have three monitors). It's not the app's fault at all. Just doesn't really work for me. 4 stars for executing fairly well on their intended design?
So Far So Good!
I just downloaded this app, based on the excellent reviews here, to replace Shrook which I’ve been using for years. Apparently the Shrook developers are shutting down their operation including the server they use for syncing feeds between devices. I like the fact that NewsBar syncs via iCloud. It was amazingly easy to transfer my feeds from Shrook to NewsBar just by copying and pasting the URL from one to the other. Nice!
Configurability is wonderful - it seems there’s a setting for almost everything. There’s one setting I didn’t see and would like added - to be able to set a value for the length of time that I preview an article before it marks itself as “read”. It appears that the default value is a few seconds. I’d like to be able to set it to an almost instantaneous trigger. I’m used to previewing articles quickly and right now I have to hover over the preview for those few seconds before it gets marked. Not a big deal, but it does slow the process down a bit.
I do really like being able to have feeds up on the screen at all times. What a great idea!
Good looking and useful
I do love the integration with Feedly, and the ease of use in general. I think it would greatly benefit from the ability to run more than one newsbar at the same time, so you could have more than one dedicate source open on different monitors.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Andras Porffy
- 3.6 MB
- Requires macOS 10.7 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Andras Porffy
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.