NewsBlur is a personal news reader bringing people together to talk about the world. A new sound of an old instrument.
NewsBlur is popular for a reason. While also being the oldest surviving RSS news reader, it is used by many news organizations, popular blogs, editors, and individual readers to keep up with the world.
Let's talk about major features:
* Read an unlimited number of RSS subscriptions
* Offline support for stories and images
* Full text extracts the whole story and is sticky per-feed
* Gestures and long presses for feeds and stories
* Share and comment on the news with friends
* Meet new people who share the same interests
* Autoscrolling of text for hands-free reading
* Collapsible folders
* Saved stories with tagging
* Mark stories as unread
* Read by oldest/newest first
* Filter by unread/all stories
* Search for stories by feed or folder
* Send to Facebook/Twitter/Instapaper/Pocket/Evernote/email/etc
* Landscape view
* Customizable offline sync settings
You can also optionally subscribe with a NewsBlur Premium Subscription
* Subscribe to an unlimited number of sites
* Sites you subscribe to are updated up to 10x more often
* Read by folder with the river of news
* Search sites and folders
* Save stories with searchable tags
* Privacy options for your blurblog (shared stories)
* Custom RSS feeds for folders and saved stories
* Use the Text view which conveniently extracts the full original story
The subscription is auto-renewable which means that once purchased it will be auto-renewed every year until you cancel it 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Duration of the subscription is 1 year. Your iTunes Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. Manage your Subscription and Auto-Renewal by going to your Account Settings.
More iOS 13 improvements:
* Added a preference to follow the system appearance (light or dark)
* Fixed issues with the preference toggles that would mistakenly reveal other controls when toggling something.
* Fixed cosmetic issues with segmented controls in light and dark themes, especially the theme ones.
* Fixed incorrect appearance of some popovers, causing them to be truncated at the top.
* Fixed the iPad dashboard header colors.
* Fixed the premium manager trying to do UI on a background queue (StoreKit callbacks are not on the main queue).
* Widened the Preferences dialog
Ratings and Reviews
Love news blur, you should definitely use it. It's totally worth the money.
First let me say that I love newsblur and I have no problem paying for this service. I use it on all my devices. It's awesome.
That said, there are some problems with the iOS app on the iPad Pro 12.9:
- Will spontaneously crash sometimes
- Orientation changes sometimes reveal a white box that obscures ~25% of the article. Only a force close will fix for that orientation.
- Split screen stops the share box from appearing
- On return to the app in Split screen text continues off the screen to the right. Changing the split size will sometimes fix it and sometimes return you to the article list and reload articles, burying the one that you were reading.
- In Split screen options buttons will randomly disappear
- In split screen an attempt to share will sometimes crash the app
My preferred way to read news
I've been using NewsBlur for a few weeks as part of the testing process and am now happily using version 1.5 on my iPad and iPhone. It's a great companion to the web interface and I actually enjoy using the apps far more that the website. I love that everything syncs quickly, the feeds display nicely and the app is intuitive. The UI, while simplistic, is totally functional and mostly stays out of the way. I'd probably share a bit more if the sharing button for a story was more prominently displayed.
I've had a few crashes here and there, but not recently. My guess is that the backend is getting cleaned up a bit.
Overall, this is a great app and I'm looking forward to the continued development.
Thanks for fixing the scrolling issues in this latest update - Jan 2019!
Good, except for spammy redirects
Recently the app has begun redirecting article links to spammy ad sites.
- NewsBlur, Inc.
- 25.1 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 NewsBlur, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- NewsBlur Premium Subscription $35.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.