Newsela Student supercharges learning in every subject.
It starts with engaging articles on any topic you can think of—each available at 5 reading levels. Articles come with activities to help students take a deeper dive into the content.
As students read and take quizzes, the Newsela app adjusts the reading level to keep articles challenging and engaging. Plus, students can keep track of their improvement over time automatically.
Here’s what students can do with the Newsela app:
- Browse and search our entire library of leveled articles
- Easily organize and view assignments
- Adjust the reading level with a simple two-finger swipe
- Annotate, take quizzes, and submit Write responses both online and offline
- Track and view progress in real time
- Get informed of breaking stories and new assignments with notifications
- Encounter and practice vocabulary words with Power Words (for students with access)
- Sets is a new way for students to explore the world of Newsela. Earn levels and badges in any of our expertly curated Newsela Sets. Or make your own Sets and expand your knowledge on any topic you like.
Today, more than 10 million learners are using Newsela to become better readers and learners.
If you love Newsela, share the app and write a review!
Our mission is to unlock the written word for everyone. Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights. The result is more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
Hi Newsela Students! This release contains more than a few awesome improvements. Enjoy and keep reading!
- One of our most requested features ever: Now you can control the playback speed for our very popular Read Aloud feature!
- Support for Kindergarten and First Grade content in select districts
- Captions for inline images in articles
- Significantly improved handling of links in articles
- Clear indicators for articles that contain sensitive content
- Clear indicators for articles with quizzes that are coming soon
- iOS 14 compatibility updates
- Many, many bug fixes and performance enhancements
Ratings and Reviews
Better then any reading app!!!
This is a GREAT app. We learn from things that I, a kid doesn’t know. Furthermore, we might learn from the corona and every else to be exact! There is lots and plz write more of these amazing articles. And stay safe!!! Also, this is awesome because there is so many cool articles and some were so funny that my tears came out like crazy! Whoever made this app was amazing. The updates are more better. We get more articles and everything the teacher gave us were so much better. By the way, there is no fiction and that is great. I was feeling like I was going to burst out with joy when I discovered that no fiction was hear and I used this app almost all the time! Plz add in more updates and whoever made this app, this app was totally awesome and interesting and amazing and beautiful and funny!
Good for the teacher, not so much for the student
For all the years I have been using this App, something stays the same whether I was in Middle School or High School; the app works for the teacher. Albeit, it is lovely to read an academic perspective about the world in general -the writing portion is the easiest (ironically)- I am troubled with the quizzes. Recently, many teachers are using this app to simplify their grading, and somehow when you get 3/4 you still get a C as a grade, which does not make sense considering you only got one question wrong.
I hear all the time fellow classmates complaining about Newsela because of this system, it indirectly ruins a student’a grade. In my opinion, there should be either more questions or rounded it up to level the ground for students, since in a normal exam even getting an amount of questions wrong can get you a B, yet somehow Newsela works by passing or failing. No room for diversity in grades. Adding more questions would be a good update to move past from this fail-pass system. Otherwise, the app works greatly and will have to, most likely, continue using it because of my teachers.
So great for reading articles
I am a student and I absolutely love this app. The articles are very good, and I love how there are quizzes and articles in Spanish. I need to write four science articles a week, and I can just go the to science section and start reading. My teacher can assign me articles to read, so when we have a project I know what to read. There are different reading levels, so if you are not advanced you can go lower, but if you are an advanced reader you can read at a higher level! This is such a great source for info, and if you are a teacher definitely use this app for your students. They will definitely enjoy it!
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Newsela, Inc.
- 42.8 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Newsela