Newsela Student supercharges learning in every subject.
It starts with engaging articles on any topic you can think of—each available at 5 reading levels. Articles come with activities to help students take a deeper dive into the content.
As students read and take quizzes, the Newsela app adjusts the reading level to keep articles challenging and engaging. Plus, students can keep track of their improvement over time automatically.
Here’s what students can do with the Newsela app:
- Browse and search our entire library of leveled articles
- Easily organize and view assignments
- Adjust the reading level with a simple two-finger swipe
- Annotate, take quizzes, and submit Write responses both online and offline
- Track and view progress in real time
- Get informed of breaking stories and new assignments with notifications
- Encounter and practice vocabulary words with Power Words (for students with access)
Note for Teachers and Parents:
Newsela Student no longer works with Teacher and Parent accounts. To view the app, you must sign in with a Student account. You can also access your Teacher or Parent account with a web browser like Safari.
Today, more than 10 million learners are using Newsela to become better readers and learners.
If you love Newsela, share the app and write a review!
Our mission is to unlock the written word for everyone. Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights. The result is more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
• Shared links to articles and activities will now open directly in the app. This includes links shared via email, Google Classroom, etc.
• Tapping the activity icons on the assignment screen (Quiz, Write, Annotations, Power Words) will now open the article directly to that activity.
• Various bug fixes and performance enhancements
• UPDATE: The Newsela app is now Newsela Student, with a new experience just for students. Teachers and parents can no longer sign in to the app.
Ratings and Reviews
Teacher of English for 24 years!
Articles are excellent! Students are thinking thoughts about other things beside rap, drugs, and sex. They are using their minds for a better society; therefore, caring for themselves and their families. Students have a right and a desire to be heard, because they are the future.
I see the students who I taught how to read Shakespeare, Thoreau, Wordsworth, Hardy, John Donne, Shelley, T.S. Eliot...
And hear their speeches...their platforms, and it makes me so proud that these early readings have fostered in them the desire and courage that they, too, can be effective leaders of good of our society.
Students need a forum to begin venues where their thoughts can be formed...and led the greater good for others.
An amazing source of reading for students
I’m quite convinced with having this app on my mobile! The most distinctive feature that distinguishes this app from the other apps related to the same field is that readers can adjust the articles with their language levels and understand the contents better, also, improve their reading skill with a higher level! Taking quizzes is also another helpful feature that allow you to assess your comprehensive skill. Keep going guys with progressing this app through this technological age. I appreciate your wonderful work.
Very good app for reading but...
Newsela in general is an amazing website and app for education. I personally love it on the website but I decided to download the app because of a problem. (It does not deal with Newsela) As I was doing a writing prompt, I would accidentally hit the “Done” button and then it would submit it when I wasn’t finished. I decided that I would just change the reading level and start again but the same thing happened. A suggestion would be if you can edit you prompt if you didn’t finish it and a erase button for any work you did in another reading level. Also can you explain what the reading level does? Overall I absolutely love Newsela!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.