NewsTap is a powerful Usenet Newsreader for the iPad, iPhone and the iPod Touch.
- Optimized for offline usage, so you can read and write news articles without an internet connection
- It's easy and simple to subscribe, manage and read news groups.
- Filters (also known as "Killfile") can automatically mark articles as read or mark them with a certain color.
- The application fully supports the portrait and landscape mode.
- Support for binary groups (photos and other files). Photos and pictures can be displayed directly. It's possible to add photos into the photo album or open them in other Apps.
- Quotes are displayed in different colors. Colors are also used to distinguish between read and unread articles, filtered articles.
- Hyperlinks are automatically detected and can be opened in a web browser.
- Optimized article layout for the small iPhone display. The original article layout is also available.
- Navigate within the articles from within the thread view or simply by flipping to the next/previous article with your finger.
- A graphical „tree view“ visualizes a complete discussion and makes it super-easy to follow and participate discussions.
- It's possible to hide articles that are already read and to hide quotes.
- Sync the read/unread states of the articles using a „newsrc“ file with other usenet client. The sync can be done via SFTP, WebDAV, Dropbox and iCloud.
- Post new articles or send followups.
- Build-in help, which explains all the application features.
For more screenshots please look at the developers web site.
- There are a few usenet servers which send the groups list in an invalid or malformed format. NewsTap is now able to get the groups list from these servers as well.
- Fixes an issue where additional text could be interpreted as link, if the link was not delimited properly.
Ratings and Reviews
App cant request permissions to save photos
So you cannot save photos.
At least it crashes each time i try to save a photo.
Which makes this not useful at all. For me
After downloading all the newsgroups, program disconnects while downloading the descriptions. I’ve tried several times and waisted many, many minutes in the process. It does this EVERY time! Very frustrating! At this point, it’s unusable.
Never really expected a newsreader so I was really happy that it's here. Going from one post to the next works well but has a tendency to crash. Binary support is a welcome feature although there must be some high limit on what it grabs as it doesn't seem to grab large files. It would be less data intensive if it allowed you to download headers and mark for retreival. As it stands, it downloads everything in a selected group for offline reading which works, but was expecting something like the great grabit, or pan. For a first release, it works, and works well. definatley looking for a way to mark a whole group read as first review states. Looking forward to future updates!
- Alexander Clauss
- 5.8 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2019 Alexander Clauss
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.