Nico & Nor Coconut Star 4+
Roll through the Coconut Star world and get to each star for the win! Solve each puzzle using pushes, pulls, and textures. With fireworks, water traps, and just-in-time feedback, Coconut Star is a joyful romp through the science of force and motion.
• 16 levels of gameplay and exploration
• Split-screen level for additional experimentation
• Adaptive feedback to support learning
• Aligns with research-based early science learning trajectories
• No in-app purchases
• No advertising
This app is designed for children to to strengthen their science investigation skills and explore the concepts of force and motion as they:
• Understand that a force is a push or pull on an object, and that forces can come from a person, another object, or gravity.
• Observe how forces pushing or pulling on an object can make the object move and that bigger forces make the object move faster and farther.
• Describe the incline of a pathway using words such as steep, steeper, and less steep.
• Describe the texture of a pathway’s surface using words such as smooth, slippery, and bumpy.
• Understand that objects generally move farther and faster on steeper or smoother pathways.
• Make predictions and carry out experiments about how an object will move.
Coconut Star and the entire Ramps curriculum supplement from Early Science with Nico & Nor™ was rigorously researched and developed specifically for preschool classroom use. The Ramps unit contains two apps: Coconut Star and the Ramps Journal. Children and teachers use the Ramps Journal to record videos and results from their ramp experiments.
Each Early Science with Nico & Nor curriculum supplement combines traditional classroom activities with digital learning to promote young children’s engagement with age-appropriate science practices and concepts during circle time, learning centers, read-aloud book sessions, snack time, and outdoor play!
About First 8 Studios at WGBH
WGBH Educational Foundation has pioneered children's educational media for decades. First 8 Studios at WGBH is dedicated to carrying this pioneering spirit into the digital, mobile world. First 8 Studios creates mobile experiences to support the healthy growth of children from birth through age 8. At the heart of this work is a commitment to research-based development and an ongoing collaboration with teachers and children to give them a voice in the digital media development process. You'll find evidence of the big hearts and little fingerprints of our classroom and research partners throughout each Nico & or experience.
Early Science with Nico & Nor™ and the characters and related indicia are trademarks of First 8 Studios @WGBH. ™/© 2016 WGBH Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.
This Early Science with Nico & Nor™ app was produced by WGBH Digital in Boston.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. DRL-1316550. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of NSF.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Added preview video.
Ratings and Reviews
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- WGBH Interactive
- 17.9 MB
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 4+, Made for Ages 0–5
- © 2016 WGBH Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.