NightCap Camera is a powerful app that takes amazing low light and night photos, videos and 4K time lapse. Long exposure produces beautiful photos in low light and unique Astronomy modes capture the stars, Northern Lights (Aurora) and more!
Do you find your photos and videos dark and grainy in low light? NightCap will help by unlocking the full potential of your iPhone or iPad's camera.
AI camera control makes it easy by automatically setting optimum focus and exposure for a brighter, clearer shot. All you need to do is hold steady and tap the shutter. If you prefer manual control then instant gesture based adjustment is always available, and special camera modes give you DSLR like results. You can even shoot photos, videos and time lapse in black and white if you want to.
Try Long Exposure mode for amazing motion blur effects and reduced image noise in low light. NightCap has an ISO Boost feature that allows 4x higher ISO than any other app, producing much brighter low light photos with low noise in Long Exposure mode!
Light Trails mode preserves moving lights - ideal for moving traffic at night, fireworks or light painting.
These modes are stunning when combined with HD or 4K time lapse!
There are 4 dedicated astrophotography camera modes. Stars Mode is ideal for a starry sky or Northern / Southern Lights (Aurora), or leave your device capturing in Star Trails Mode and watch the stars paint circles in the sky! There are also modes for easy photography of the International Space Station (ISS) and meteors (shooting stars).
Visit nightcapcamera.com for tutorials.
• Video recording with special Night Mode and full manual control.
• Time lapse recording with adjustable speed, long exposure and light trails support and up to 4K resolution on iPhone 6s or newer or 1080p HD on older devices.
• Aidie, a fully automatic AI camera operator chooses the optimum camera settings for you automatically, meaning brighter, clearer photos in low light with less risk of blurring the shot. All you need to do is hold steady and tap the shutter.
• AI enhanced focusing in very low light for fast, reliable focus.
• Automatic camera modes for Meteors (shooting stars), ISS (International Space Station), stars and star trails make these difficult tasks easy.
• Innovative manual camera controls designed for photographers: intuitive gesture-based control of exposure, ISO, focus and even white balance. Simply swipe to adjust.
• Long Exposure mode: Capture detailed, noise-free low light shots.
• Light Trails mode: Perfect for light painting and even astronomy: photograph star trails with unlimited exposure time!
• ISO Boost allows up to 4x higher ISO than any other app.
• Light Boost instantly boosts brightness while preserving image detail.
• Noise Reduction Mode helps reduce image noise.
• 8x Zoom control (camera-style for easy, smooth zoom).
• Full Apple Watch support with live preview and control of the main app features.
Ratings and Reviews
Edit: Noisy images
Edit: I was able to reduce noise by setting the camera to a lower ISO and higher exposure. Definitely better than the stock camera; and less noise in low light than filming with Filmic Pro. I’ll be using this regularly!
This app does not reduce any noise when videoing or photographing in low light. That’s why I got it; so it’s kind of useless to me. If you plan to buy this app to take good night pictures with an iPhone 8 I would recommend looking at other options.
The best time lapse app for iOS hands down
Time lapse photography is my hobby, and I use a variety of hardware and software to do it, from a GoPro to a mirrorless camera to a retired iPhone... and I wish all of that hardware had the software that is Nightcap.
Easily the best thing about this app is its ability to combine its virtual slow shutter function with its timelapse function. This is amazing if you want to capture wind, blur moving people out of public spaces, or just make motion look smooth.
The latest version appears to have resolved one of my two major complaints about the app: it used to have problems with smooth exposure ramping in slow shutter mode, causing big exposure jumps when shooting a sunrise for example... it appears that has been resolved in my last few shoots, and I imagine (although I haven’t tried it yet) that I could do a beautiful night-to-day timelapse with it and have it come out seamless. (The other complaint was how if the phone runs out of battery during a timelapse the whole video is lost, I haven’t looked into that yet.)
Thank you so much to the developer for making this, it has turned an old iPhone I no longer use into my favorite timelapse camera. Cheers!
Low light phone photography made possible!
I have been using NightCap Camera app for more than a year, primarily in long exposure mode. I use it mostly for imaging nebula with my telescope and a night vision device, but I have also captured galaxies and many open and globular clusters. I can positively say that without NightCap and my night vision device, my efforts would be fruitless. I especially appreciate that NightCap will average photos for a period of time which is user set; this eliminates almost all noise that would otherwise be present in the image. You can see one or more of my images in the NightCap gallery... astrophotography with a phone! I give NightCap my highest recommendation.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Realtime Dreams Limited
- 6.7 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Realtime Dreams
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.