Nihongo is an offline Japanese dictionary, flashcard app, and reading assistant, designed to make the best use of the time you dedicate to studying Japanese.
Our dictionary is made to find what you're looking for fast, with the words Japanese speakers actually use at the top of every search result, and every word marked as "common", "uncommon", or "rare".
"Clippings", our reading assistant, is what makes Nihongo stand apart from other dictionaries. Paste in Japanese text from a website, email, an eBook, or anywhere else, and we'll add furigana or romaji to every word. We also enable you to tap on any word to see its definition. This will truly change the way you read Japanese. And now, you can get the same experience right in Safari using our Safari extension.
Personal experience (as well as a good deal of research in second-language acquisition) has shown us that the words that you're most likely to remember are the words that you're encountering naturally. To this end Nihongo automatically draws from your search history and clippings to compile flashcard decks filled with words for which you already have context. This makes it easy to study both the words you looked up during Japanese class, and those that appear in your favorite song or videogame. And by adding notes to the back of flashcards you can further connect each vocabulary word to your personal contextual understanding.
Kanji flashcards prompt you to draw the missing kanji from the words you're studying, creating stronger connections between the characters and their real-world use. Built-in kanji decks give you 2 or 3 key words to study for each kanji.
This app is only possible because of the JMDict (edrdg.org) and Tatoeba (tatoeba.org) projects. I highly encourage you to support these incredible projects that make apps like Nihongo possible!
* Over 180,000 words, 165,000 example sentences, and 6000 kanji entries.
* Every word clearly marked as common, uncommon, or rare.
* Add your own notes to any dictionary entry.
* Quickly identify transitive/intransitive word pairs.
* Audio pronunciations of words and example sentences (Requires Nihongo Pro)
PHOTO LOOKUP (OCR) [Pro]
* Look up words just by taking a picture.
* Uses Google Cloud Vision to provide high-quality text recognition.
* Just tap on a word to look it up.
CLIPPINGS (READING ASSISTANT) [Pro]
* Adds furigana or romaji to text pasted into the app.
* Tap on any word to see its definition without leaving the clipping.
* Flashcard deck automatically created so you can study the new words in a clipping.
* Display text horizontally or vertically.
* Have Nihongo read any clipping out loud.
* Flashcards automatically generated from words you lookup in the dictionary or paste into the app.
* Nihongo learns what words you know, and won't bother you again with words you've mastered.
* Built-in kanji flashcard decks up through Middle School.
* Intuitive spaced repetition flashcard system for vocabulary and kanji drawing.
* Level up flashcards by studying every day.
* No penalty for missing a day of study, come back anytime.
* Search using English, Japanese, or romaji.
* Supports searching for conjugated words in both English and Japanese.
* Search for kanji using radicals and stroke counts.
SAFARI EXTENSION [Pro]
* Add furigana or romaji to webpages.
* Tap on words to see definition within Safari.
Read our full Terms of Service at https://nihongo-app.com/terms_of_use.html.
* Fix a memory leak when displaying photos that could eventually cause the app to crash.
* Fix a rare crash when creating a clipping.
* Fix an issue where you were unable to draw in the kanji drawing area while the tab bar was animating out.
Ratings and Reviews
One of the best but not perfect
One of its key strengths is the UI. Example sentences are plentiful. You can even upload pictures to words! I’ve been studying Japanese for 3 years now and this app never leaves me.
There’s one thing that is missing: desktop support. A MAC app or browser support would complete the package.
One feature I’d like to see is keyboard support for inputting answers for flash cards. I find it more effective than simply flipping the flash cards over. Also be sure to backup your data. I had to re-download this app once and lost all my data! iCloud did not save me.
Developer Response ,
Thought you might want to know, I've just added iCloud syncing to the app, so hopefully you won't ever have to worry about losing your data again! A Mac app is definitely something I plan on adding in the future, and if you have an M1 Mac, you can actually use Nihongo on it today (and the browser extension even works!)
I purchased the app for 3 months and as a dictionary if you know Hiragana works fine. However it’s use of romanji sometimes is off (eg du for zu) I will probably end up buying the app permanent more for it flash cards to review words that I have looked up (a nice feature) however it has some irritating problems and mistakes. 1) the Kanji at times when it gives examples in its usage is outright wrong. You click the Kanji word and a different Kanji appears. 2) Also the example sentences they give with certain word seems to be computer generated so that even more complex words are added to the sample sentence making the sample sentence incomprehensible at times. It seems that a sentence would be generated to use as much complex words as possible so it can be reused for other examples. 3) The sample sentence does not include the the translated word, making me wonder whether the meaning given by the dictionary is correct. eg try look up Osameru/ Osamaru. Has potential to be a five star application but would try the application for a few months and make sure you can tolerate the mistakes.
Best App for Studying Japanese!!!
Hands down the best tool I have found for use as a companion to my Japanese studies. I’ve been able to increase vocabulary and improve my reading skills tremendously through daily use of this app. Taking a photo of Japanese text, using Google translate to turn image into text, then importing that text into a clipping is a very powerful way to improve reading and vocabulary. The words in the clipping are also then automatically compiled into flash cards for study. Wow, easily worth the cost given the increased productivity in learning Nihongo!!!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Serpenti Sei LLC
- 347.4 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Dutch, French, German, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Serpenti Sei LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Nihongo Pro (Monthly) $2.99
- Nihongo Pro (Lifetime) $49.99
- Nihongo Pro (3 Months) $7.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.