Showcasing the beauty of Nixie tubes that were used from the 1950's and are still available until today.
Nixie tubes use layered vacuum tubes to show digits and have a characteristic orange glow. Nixie Calculator provide basic arithmetic functions consistent with the original devices - with a few modern additions.
Features of Nixie Calculator:
• Menu bar item. Can be used to easily launch the full Calculator or a Menu Bar version.
• Paper tape to display what you have entered. Can be copied, saved or printed
• Paper tape can be used to paste results back into calculations
• Conversions for common measures
• Copy and paste entries
• International number formats
• Exponential modes
• RPN Mode
• Dark mode support
• Can be resized
• Color schemes & layouts (in-app purchase option)
• Calculator size (can also be resized by dragging on the window)
• Rounding options - including showing trailing zero's
• Scientific and engineering exponential modes
• Use classic Nixie font for the display
• Classic key font
• Show menu bar item
• Dark mode support
• Separators embedded with the digits
• Classic pyramid and illuminated thousand separators
• Classic red filter
• Always on top
• Accessibility Options
• Keyboard Shortcuts
• Key press beep
• Button assignment can be changed
Purchase to unlock access to Color Layouts in preferences.
The calculator is a rounding or truncating type to fit numbers into the fixed display.
Please enjoy this calculator that combines one of the first display technologies with state of the art in PC technology.
Bug fixes and improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Nixie is nifty!
Nixie is a basic calculator and that's exactly what I was looking for to replace the widget that went away with Catalina. It looks good and does everything I need...which includes a memory function. I didn't want the clutter of a scientific calculator (but the addition of an exponent key would not be unwelcome).
Developer Response ,
Thanks. You can simply press E (lower case - e) to enter an exponent in either the small or the scientific mode.
v1.74 that is about to be released includes an option in preferences to add your own keyboard shortcuts for all the functions available. You can see all the existing shortcuts in this preference screen.
Great little calculator, but a few suggestions
There's nothing "wrong" with it per se. It's the best calculator for how I use it...
But it would be awesome if...
1)... the full calculator (that can be moved around the screen, not attached to top bar) could run without a dock icon being visible, that would be cool (just no need for the dock icon). I say this cause I leave it constantly on and just hide/show it via the following ->
2) If we could record a shortcut to open/close the calculator. I'm currently doing this with Better Touch Tool and using command ; ...command l (L) is more convenient but sadly already in use in the nixie.... See Calculator Pro Topbar (or whatever their free version is) if you don't know what I mean (sadly that calculator barely functions now as the maker hasn't updated it in eons, it crashes constantly, again, talking about another calc, not Nixie).
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. We will see what can be incorporated as an option to hide the dock icon when running and to include a shortcut command (from the Shortcuts apps) to simply open the calculator. Update: Version 2.13 includes a Shortcuts App action to open the calculator. An option to remove the dock icon when the app is running has been investigated, however this unfortunately introduces some problems and makes the app more complex to use.
The best calculator for MAC.
The numbers are big and every calculation is recorded and displayed to help keep track of what calculations the owner is doing. It has scientific and also a basic model that one can use per program.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- UNB SYSTEMS PTY LTD
- 75.8 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Czech, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © UNB Systems Pty Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Color Layouts $3.99