A simple yet powerful weather radar app that combines science with simplicity for viewing real-time animated weather radar images in vivid color on a highly responsive interactive map.
NOAA Hi-Definition Radar provides stunning precipitation detail. See freezing rain (pink) areas of radar so you know where hazardous road conditions are likely.
• Install and go, no complex setup.
• Select transparency of radar imagery for your preference.
• Sharp weather radar imagery even on retina displays that show the latest radar images within minutes.
• Show the weather map full-screen on your device and hide the app buttons for a fantastic full-screen map view of radar activity. Looks especially great on iPad!
• Tap and hold on the map to check current weather conditions and forecasts (for U.S. locations, and some non-U.S. locations where available).
• Show your GPS position, direction of travel and elevation on the map when enabled.
• Bookmark multiple locations for fast and easy access to weather forecasts and lightning alerts of your favorite places.
• Current road conditions, hourly and five-day forecasts alongside detailed weather information for all your locations, including pressure readings for all your locations.
Show Weather Layers on the map so you can see past weather imagery (for U.S. locations, and some non-U.S. locations where available):
• Radar Map
• Clouds Map
• Clouds & Radar Map
• Temperature Map
• Water Temp Map
• Wind Speed Map
• Snow Fall Map
• Road Weather Map
Show Severe Weather Overlays and alerts on the map so you can see severe weather warning boxes where dangerous weather is happening (U.S. locations only):
• Tap alert boxes on the map to view info
• Tornadoes and Thunderstorm watches and warnings
• Flood watches and warnings
• Hurricane and Tropical Storm forecast tracks
• Hurricane and Tropical Storm watches and warnings
• Storm Tracks showing direction of storm in the next few minutes
• Winter storm watches and warnings
• Marine and coastal alerts
• View Lightning strikes on the map (no additional purchase necessary)
Enhance your app with two optional auto-renewing monthly subscriptions:
• Buy Storm Watch to unlock these 6 features:
1) Future Radar: See predicted radar imagery for the next few hours.
2) Future Clouds: See predicted cloud imagery for the next few hours.
3) Future Clouds & Radar together: See predicted clouds and radar imagery together for the next few hours.
4) Future Temperatures Map: See predicted future temperatures map.
5) Future Water Temps Map: See predicted future water temperatures map.
6) Future Wind Speeds Map: See predicted future wind speeds map.
• Buy Lightning Notifications to unlock this premium feature:
1) Be notified when lightning strikes nearby.
2) Get a push notification whenever lightning strikes near your Saved Locations - up to 10 miles away.
• Current Location is not supported by Lightning Notifications, at this time.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Thanks for using the NOAA Hi-Def Radar Pro Weather app! Special thanks to all of our subscribers, we appreciate your support. Here's what's included in this release:
● This update resolves subscription related bugs in our last release, thanks for your feedback to help resolve them. Everything should be resolved in this release!
Here's what was included in our last update:
● Introducing Storm Watch, our new subscription offering! Storm Watch includes all features of the Future Weather subscription, but now offers a convenient annual option.
● The Storm Watch subscription includes Future Weather imagery layers for Clouds, Radar, Water temperature and Wind speed, removes all in-app advertisements and access to future features and content.
● Don't worry, if you're a current subscriber, you'll see no change to your features or subscription! Lightning Alerts also continue to be available as a separate monthly subscription.
● As a reminder, our last update included new maps & imagery updates for Radar, Clouds, Clouds & Radar, Temperature, Water Temp, Wind Speeds, Road Weather and Snow Fall.
● Several iPhone X optimizations and improvements, plus you can now easily rate the app via Settings.
● Quickly access detailed weather for your current location by tapping the "my location" arrow in the lower right, then either tap and hold the map, or tap the weather icon in the lower right.
● Map Legends are now enabled by default to ensure map readability, this can be disabled in Settings.
Questions, comments or issues? We appreciate your feedback. Get in touch with us at email@example.com for fast and friendly support from our team. We hope you enjoy this update!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good radar app
The only reason I bought this app was that I wanted to quickly look at precipitation/clouds covering and see where it was moving. It used to be perfect in his regard - I could use the little slider at the bottom to move time forth and back and get the idea very quickly. With the new version the slider is gone and it is only possible to start plying the time loop automatically. I miss the slider a lot!
On my iPhone 7 Plus the app itself seems to be working reasonably fast. I like the new layer settings - it's much nicer than it used to be. Plus, I like that now it is possible to select the combination of precipitation and clouds! As far as I remember, you could have one or the other before. However, this combination has a problem with animation - when I hit the play button it takes the whole loop to show the clouds/precipitation that move. The other layers work fine in this regard so it is only this combination that has the problem.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your comments.
Starting with version 3.5 (released on 6/12/18), a new feature has been added that gives you more control over how much radar imagery gets displayed in the app when on a slow cellular connection.
Tap Settings > Advanced > and scroll down to the new 'Weather Layer Imagery Loops' section. We hope this Advanced feature helps improves the app experience for you.
PS: We also miss the Slider! The reason this was removed in version 3.x is because the weather provider and data that powered the old version was set to be (and has since been) discontinued at the end of 2017. As a result of that change, NOAA Hi-Def Radar for iOS had to either be rebuilt completely or discontinued as a product.
We made the decision to continue the product, and at the same time bring it up to modern iOS standards as the app had not been updated in quite a few years, which caused some technology challenges for both our users as mobile devices evolved and our own development teams having to maintain outdated technology. Unfortunately, some features of the old app, like the Slider, were not available from the new weather provider due to the technology and data source changes mentioned.
Great app! But it has idiosyncrasies in some features. If you purchase the Future forecast capability, it’s 99 cents per month well spent. But for odd reasons, occasionally when you tap Future, the app gives you a No Thanks option or a 99 cents option—as though you never signed up for the Future forecast. Even more weird, when you select the payment option, it tells you that your subscription is active & next payment will auto-occur on xx date. So why the heck doesn’t it work???🤨
Update! These folks actually review reviews—and offered several suggestions to fix this issue. Now the Future forecast works great 👍🏼!
Developer Response ,
Since the v4.0 release on Jan 14, 2020, we've heard from a few users saying that their previously-purchased in-app purchase subscriptions are not active after the app update, while many other users' subscriptions are active just fine without them having to do any extra steps.
Please try these 3 things:
*** #1: On the Map screen, tap Settings (the blue icon at top-right of Map screen) > under 'Subscriptions' tap 'Restore Subscriptions'. If the app is still unable to successfully, or gives you an error, please send us a screenshot of the exact error you receive when trying this 'Restore Subscrription' option so we can further track this.
*** #2: If that didn't work, and after sending us a screenshot of any error message, then please try deleting the app from your device > then re-download it from the App Store > then go into the app's Settings and tap the Restore Subscrription' option again. We've heard from other users that this second workaround has worked for them.
*** #3: If doing these steps still doesn't get your previously-purchased in-app purchase subscription(s) restored, please reach out to our Customer Support team by sending a Support request from within the NOAA Hi-Def Radar app, which provides us with additional diagnostic data to help us further troubleshoot this with you. Thank you!
Newest update is great
I’ve been using this app for a number of years. A previous update totally destroyed its functionality by taking forever to update the data. As a consequence, I pretty much stopped using it and instead started using another app that loaded much faster but it didn’t have the feature set of this one.
A couple of months ago, I decided to launch this app again and to my delight it loaded almost instantly. I can now swipe to different locations and at different zoom levels and it loads the data very quickly. Thank you!
I now default to this app for weather images. Another feature I always liked with this app is it’s ability to zoom almost infinitely anywhere in the world. It’s cool to view streets in different parts of the world.
You won’t be disappointed with this app. It has a lot of features such as selecting layers, thus letting you see different weather conditions.
Developer Response ,
Hello! We appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback with us!
- 77.4 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 WeatherSphere
- In-App Purchases
- Future Weather $0.99
- Lightning Alerts $0.99
- Storm Watch Monthly $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.