Weather Hi-Def Live Radar 17+
Forecasts: Rain, Snow & Storms
Designed for iPad
- Offers In-App Purchases
Weather Hi-Def Radar is a simple yet powerful weather radar app that features real-time animated weather radar images in vivid color on a highly-responsive interactive map. View future forecasts and detailed weather information with map layers, including fire & air quality index. See freezing rain on the radar so you can anticipate hazardous road conditions. Stay ahead of the weather with advanced alerts, including lightning & precipitation notifications so you’re always prepared.
• Sharp weather radar imagery display current & future radar images
• View weather map full-screen on your device and hide the app buttons for a crystal clear detailed overview of weather radar activity
• Tap & hold on the map to check current weather conditions and forecasts (for U.S. locations, and some non-U.S. locations where available)
• Get advanced alerts for precipitation activity & lightning strikes for all your saved locations
• Set multiple locations for fast & easy access to weather forecasts, to view current road conditions, barometric pressure readings, and detailed weather information for all your saved locations
• View your GPS position, direction of travel, and elevation on the map with location enabled
• Monitor local air pollution data with AQI
• Quickly view hourly weather with Lock & Home Screen Widgets
• Use Fire Overlay to monitor active wildfires near & far
Show Weather Layers on the map to see past weather imagery (for U.S. locations & some non-U.S. locations where available)
• Radar layer
• Clouds layer
• Clouds & Radar layer
• Temperature layer
• Water Temperature layer
• Wind Speed layer
• Snowfall layer
• Road Weather layer
Severe Weather Overlays and alerts on the map to see severe weather warning boxes(U.S. locations only):
• Tap alert boxes on the map to view info
• Tornado and Thunderstorm watches and warnings
• Flood watches and warnings
• Hurricane and Tropical Storm forecast tracks
• Hurricane and Tropical Storm watches and warnings
• Storm Tracks showing direction of storm in the next few minutes
• Winter storm watches and warnings
• Marine and coastal alerts
• View Lightning strikes on the map
Purchase Storm Watch Plus to unlock the following:
• Future Radar: See predicted radar imagery for the next few hours
• Future Clouds: See predicted cloud imagery for the next few hours.
• Future Clouds & Radar together: See predicted clouds and radar imagery together for the next few hours
• Future Temperatures Map: See predicted future temperatures map
• Future Water Temps Map: See predicted future water temperatures map
• Future Wind Speeds Map: See predicted future wind speeds map
• Lightning Alerts: Be notified when lightning strikes nearby.
• Precipitation Alerts: Get a push notification precipitation is detected up to 10 miles away
• Snow Report: See snow conditions for your saved locations.
• Current Location is not supported by Precipitation Notifications at this time.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
A new version of Weather Hi-Def is here! Here’s what’s new:
• Introducing Snow Reports! View detailed snowfall information for current and saved locations
• New Snow Depth radar layer
• General optimizations & stability improvements
Thanks for using Weather Hi-Def! Have questions or feedback? Email us at email@example.com for fast & friendly support
Ratings and Reviews
Good radar app
The only reason I bought this app was that I wanted to quickly look at precipitation/clouds covering and see where it was moving. It used to be perfect in his regard - I could use the little slider at the bottom to move time forth and back and get the idea very quickly. With the new version the slider is gone and it is only possible to start plying the time loop automatically. I miss the slider a lot!
On my iPhone 7 Plus the app itself seems to be working reasonably fast. I like the new layer settings - it's much nicer than it used to be. Plus, I like that now it is possible to select the combination of precipitation and clouds! As far as I remember, you could have one or the other before. However, this combination has a problem with animation - when I hit the play button it takes the whole loop to show the clouds/precipitation that move. The other layers work fine in this regard so it is only this combination that has the problem.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your comments.
Starting with version 3.5 (released on 6/12/18), a new feature has been added that gives you more control over how much radar imagery gets displayed in the app when on a slow cellular connection.
Tap Settings > Advanced > and scroll down to the new 'Weather Layer Imagery Loops' section. We hope this Advanced feature helps improves the app experience for you.
PS: We also miss the Slider! The reason this was removed in version 3.x is because the weather provider and data that powered the old version was set to be (and has since been) discontinued at the end of 2017. As a result of that change, NOAA Hi-Def Radar for iOS had to either be rebuilt completely or discontinued as a product.
We made the decision to continue the product, and at the same time bring it up to modern iOS standards as the app had not been updated in quite a few years, which caused some technology challenges for both our users as mobile devices evolved and our own development teams having to maintain outdated technology. Unfortunately, some features of the old app, like the Slider, were not available from the new weather provider due to the technology and data source changes mentioned.
From bad to worse
Like many, I have had this app for years and still miss the slider. This has been a frustration for years. I have settled that it is gone. Over the last couple years, I have also looked for a replacement app and found none that compared to this app for resolution of radar and speed of loading. I also use RadarScope Pro alongside this app, but it is a more complex app and loads slower. I have liked the speed and resolution of this app.
Until recently, I have been fine running a year old version of the app, concerned that I would not like the updates and I was content with the app as it was. But today, it just hung and hung and would not load any radar imagery. I figured it may be my old version causing a problem, even though it loaded yesterday just fine. So I updated it... wow, what a piece of junk app this has become. It is near exact to storm radar from the weather channel app but you have to pay for future radar also instead of it being included free. The resolution is so bad, so bad, so bad. You should probably change the name of the app away from Hi-Def. I will not continue to use this product anymore. I have rode out the disappointments for years, with it remaining a better option than many, but this latest version is a fatal wound.
A great app for when you want to know what’s happening now. Not only do I use it to track tornadoes and storm patterns during hurricanes (helps me discern just how close a tornado is when I get alerts on my phone so I’m not sitting in my bathtub needlessly😉). I also use it when I go to the pool and check it when I hear thunder (to see if lightening is close and so I know when to shut down my water aerobics class); AND to know when there will be a break in rain/storm activity so that I can take my dog outside to go potty.
I have other weather apps and this is the one that is most useful. After you set up the layers you want to see (like lightening etc.) and your exact location, it’s very straightforward and easy to use.
Well worth the few dollars it costs annually. I have highly recommended it to others.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Contact Info
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 115.3 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © GeoTerrestrial Inc
- In-App Purchases
- Future Weather $0.99
- Storm Watch Monthly $3.99
- Lightning Alerts $0.99
- Storm Watch Annual $39.99
- Lightning Notification Monthly $3.99
- Storm Watch Plus Monthly $6.99
- Storm Watch Monthly $5.99
- Storm Watch Plus Annual $49.99
- Storm Watch Monthly $6.99
- Storm Watch Annual $39.99