A simple yet powerful weather radar app that combines science with simplicity for viewing real-time animated weather radar images in vivid color on a highly responsive interactive map. Now supporting iOS 14 homescreen widgets!
Weather Hi-Definition Radar provides stunning precipitation detail. See freezing rain (pink) areas of radar so you know where hazardous road conditions are likely.
• Install and go, no complex setup.
• Select transparency of radar imagery for your preference.
• Sharp weather radar imagery even on retina displays that show the latest radar images within minutes.
• Show the weather map full-screen on your device and hide the app buttons for a fantastic full-screen map view of radar activity. Looks especially great on iPad!
• Tap and hold on the map to check current weather conditions and forecasts (for U.S. locations, and some non-U.S. locations where available).
• Show your GPS position, direction of travel and elevation on the map when enabled.
• Bookmark multiple locations for fast and easy access to weather forecasts and lightning alerts of your favorite places.
• Current road conditions, hourly and five-day forecasts alongside detailed weather information for all your locations, including pressure readings for all your locations.
Show Weather Layers on the map so you can see past weather imagery (for U.S. locations, and some non-U.S. locations where available):
• Radar Map
• Clouds Map
• Clouds & Radar Map
• Temperature Map
• Water Temp Map
• Wind Speed Map
• Snow Fall Map
• Road Weather Map
Show Severe Weather Overlays and alerts on the map so you can see severe weather warning boxes where dangerous weather is happening (U.S. locations only):
• Tap alert boxes on the map to view info
• Tornadoes and Thunderstorm watches and warnings
• Flood watches and warnings
• Hurricane and Tropical Storm forecast tracks
• Hurricane and Tropical Storm watches and warnings
• Storm Tracks showing direction of storm in the next few minutes
• Winter storm watches and warnings
• Marine and coastal alerts
• View Lightning strikes on the map (no additional purchase necessary)
Enhance your app with two optional auto-renewing monthly subscriptions:
• Buy Storm Watch to unlock these 6 features:
1) Future Radar: See predicted radar imagery for the next few hours.
2) Future Clouds: See predicted cloud imagery for the next few hours.
3) Future Clouds & Radar together: See predicted clouds and radar imagery together for the next few hours.
4) Future Temperatures Map: See predicted future temperatures map.
5) Future Water Temps Map: See predicted future water temperatures map.
6) Future Wind Speeds Map: See predicted future wind speeds map.
• Buy Lightning Notifications to unlock this premium feature:
1) Be notified when lightning strikes nearby.
2) Get a push notification whenever lightning strikes near your Saved Locations - up to 10 miles away.
• Current Location is not supported by Lightning Notifications, at this time.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Huge update for Storm Watch Subscribers! Monitor active fires and view Air Quality Index with Weather Hi-Def Radar! Here’s what else is included in this update:
◊ Check Air Quality Index for a single location in the ‘Forecast’ page, free for all users.
◊ See active fires on the map with the ‘Fire’ Overlay (Storm Watch Subscribers only).
◊ View Air Quality Index on the map view with new AQI Layer (Storm Watch Subscribers only).
◊ Improved control of radar animation with Past / Future toggles.
◊ In-app search bar to help you find real-time weather data for any city you’re looking for.
◊ New simplified app tutorial with helpful tips.
◊ Landscape view improvements & fixed a bug with Lightning on the map.
Questions, comments, or issues? We appreciate your feedback. Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org for fast and friendly support from our team.
Remember to subscribe to Storm Watch for the ultimate experience.
Ratings and Reviews
Good radar app
The only reason I bought this app was that I wanted to quickly look at precipitation/clouds covering and see where it was moving. It used to be perfect in his regard - I could use the little slider at the bottom to move time forth and back and get the idea very quickly. With the new version the slider is gone and it is only possible to start plying the time loop automatically. I miss the slider a lot!
On my iPhone 7 Plus the app itself seems to be working reasonably fast. I like the new layer settings - it's much nicer than it used to be. Plus, I like that now it is possible to select the combination of precipitation and clouds! As far as I remember, you could have one or the other before. However, this combination has a problem with animation - when I hit the play button it takes the whole loop to show the clouds/precipitation that move. The other layers work fine in this regard so it is only this combination that has the problem.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your comments.
Starting with version 3.5 (released on 6/12/18), a new feature has been added that gives you more control over how much radar imagery gets displayed in the app when on a slow cellular connection.
Tap Settings > Advanced > and scroll down to the new 'Weather Layer Imagery Loops' section. We hope this Advanced feature helps improves the app experience for you.
PS: We also miss the Slider! The reason this was removed in version 3.x is because the weather provider and data that powered the old version was set to be (and has since been) discontinued at the end of 2017. As a result of that change, NOAA Hi-Def Radar for iOS had to either be rebuilt completely or discontinued as a product.
We made the decision to continue the product, and at the same time bring it up to modern iOS standards as the app had not been updated in quite a few years, which caused some technology challenges for both our users as mobile devices evolved and our own development teams having to maintain outdated technology. Unfortunately, some features of the old app, like the Slider, were not available from the new weather provider due to the technology and data source changes mentioned.
From bad to worse
Like many, I have had this app for years and still miss the slider. This has been a frustration for years. I have settled that it is gone. Over the last couple years, I have also looked for a replacement app and found none that compared to this app for resolution of radar and speed of loading. I also use RadarScope Pro alongside this app, but it is a more complex app and loads slower. I have liked the speed and resolution of this app.
Until recently, I have been fine running a year old version of the app, concerned that I would not like the updates and I was content with the app as it was. But today, it just hung and hung and would not load any radar imagery. I figured it may be my old version causing a problem, even though it loaded yesterday just fine. So I updated it... wow, what a piece of junk app this has become. It is near exact to storm radar from the weather channel app but you have to pay for future radar also instead of it being included free. The resolution is so bad, so bad, so bad. You should probably change the name of the app away from Hi-Def. I will not continue to use this product anymore. I have rode out the disappointments for years, with it remaining a better option than many, but this latest version is a fatal wound.
Best weather app
Living in Hawaii the weather is as indecisive as can be. We have passing showers and those really affect me. Not to mention I love rain and geek out when I can tell my friends it’s about to rain and it actually does. This app is flawless. Ive tried to see who the developers are and figure out how their tech is so much more advanced than say the weather channel or NOAA: Clime. This app does exactly what it is intended to accomplish. Even if there is just a brief drizzle, this app will guaranteed show me at least 5 minutes before it’s arrival. One suggestion, I would purchase the subscription if you had Doppler rain alerts. If you could alert users when Doppler shows rain enroute this would literally be the best app ever.
ALSO: please update your developer website
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 90.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 WeatherSphere
- In-App Purchases
- Future Weather $0.99
- Storm Watch Monthly $3.99
- Lightning Alerts $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.