Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation. Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Quickly create and edit notes by dragging and dropping documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop.
• Get more done with keyboard shortcuts.
• Secure and lock your notes using Touch ID.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 14 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you open multiple notes at once in new windows.
• Easily access your recently opened notes in the Recent Notes subject.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Easily create perfect shapes and precisely erase all ink in varied brush sizes
• Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
• Ink can be scaled, transformed, rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, and OneDrive are all supported!
iOS app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
Notability 4.1 is now available! We added support for 10.15
and a better way to import files into Notability.
• Updated import flow
◦ Import multiple files from Airdrop, cloud services and other apps
Bug Fixes & Improvements
• PNG image no longer lose transparency with certain import flows
• Miscellaneous bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
So many pros, so many cons!
I have been a loyal user of this app since I started grad school 3 years ago and for the most part, this is a good notetaking app if you have multiple electronic devices. I really like the ability to sync all my notes across various devices and the constant improvements that the Notability team implements with each update. However, it seems like with each update, there are always unintentional/neglected bugs that weren't present in the previous version. For example, the startup of this app is now at least 5 seconds slower on the MacBook than in the previous update and I have no idea why. Another example is sometimes my text will not show up in the text box when I'm typing and I have to start all over. Furthermore, there needs to be a more simple and straightforward way to save SPECIFIC files/notes to a SPECIFIC location, such as into iCloud vs. computer storage. There should be a button with every note that asks if this note should be saved locally/into computer storage or onto iCloud. I'm still hopeful that this app will continue to improve and better manage the bugs with the coming updates.
UPDATED: Works Great
I’m updating this review because of the version 3 update. It now recognizes handwriting very well. I haven’t thoroughly tested it but the problem I had was fixed and seems to be very good. I’m not sure how well the conversion works and if it converts the text and saves it in the note for the iPad version to then be able to search too, but I’ll find out soon.
ORIGINAL REVIEW: I think the app has great potential with a just a small amount of work. The app should match the abilities of the iPad version. The Mac version cannot convert the handwriting to text after it’s selected like you can do on the iPad. If you can it’s not obvious. It would also be nice if you could right click on the pictures that were taken with the program and save them as a JPG. The option now is to copy it to the clipboard, open it in another program such as Preview and then save. It seems to be a poor workaround.
It does sync very well with iCloud and I found it backs up just fine to Dropbox (iPad version). It will only allow one device on your account to back up. I’m not sure why unless it considers a backup just another sync.
A very good app that keeps getting better.
The developer has been constanly updating the app and adding helpful features like the new eraser tool. The features aren't necessarily groundbreaking, but rather practical and measured. Features havent been added at the expense of app stability. I really appreciate the reliability because I reaaly dont want to loose data. And so far, I have never lost data or even recall having any issues with the app crashing or behaving strangely.
I use Notability as a substitute for paper and pen notes. While working, I need to keep track of ideas in the form of little notes and mostly hand drawn diagrams. What I love about notability is that I can easily revise older notes and delete parts that are no longer relevant. With paper, this becomes a mess. Having this app on both mobile, tablet and desktop makes this a tool I use and rely upon.
If you have similar needs, Notability would well be worth looking into. As for it's features like handwriting recognition, I dont use them because my notes are often digrams with text. Still, its nice to have the data in document searches.
- Ginger Labs, Inc.
- 99.2 MB
macOS 10.13 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Ginger Labs, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.