Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation. Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Quickly create and edit notes by dragging and dropping documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop.
• Get more done with keyboard shortcuts.
• Secure and lock your notes using Touch ID.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 14 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you open multiple notes at once in new windows.
• Easily access your recently opened notes in the Recent Notes subject.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Easily create perfect shapes and precisely erase all ink in varied brush sizes
• Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
• Ink can be scaled, transformed, rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, and OneDrive are all supported!
iOS app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
***Bug fixes in 4.0.1***
• Fixed a potential crash when inserting images
• Miscellaneous bug fixes and stability improvements
***What’s new in Notability 4.0***
This is an exciting update for Notability! We’ve added powerful new features: Shapes, Partial Eraser, and improved image control.
• Draw a shape, hold the stroke for a moment, then watch as it snaps perfectly into place!
• Shapes can be styled and manipulated like regular handwriting.
• Create circles, ellipses, triangles, squares, rectangles, hexagons, and irregular shapes
• Precisely erase any ink in a variety of eraser sizes, including shapes!
• Partial erase supports both freehand erasing and perfect shape erasing.
• Once a stroke is separated, it behaves exactly like regular handwriting.
• Rotate and crop images easily with a new, streamlined interface.
• Added support for auto-backup to WebDAV
Ratings and Reviews
3 stars for the new update
I absolutely love using notability. I bought it for my mac and my ipad. It stinks that I have to buy both apps but they've been definitely worth it.
HOWEVER, this new update doesn't let me easily delete text boxes or change the font style to italic at all (bold and underline is okay). Also getting out of text box is impossible once you create one without having to click other tools like "click and drag" (like when you're done writing up a note in text box, and I try to get out of it by clicking any other space on the page, but it creates another text box instead...) And it comes with a huge learning curve (should have a brief introduction or direction) - like having to double click the text box in order to manipulate the size or location with the "T" tool, and the fact that the mouse pointer shape stays the same when you change the box size.. I feel like the new update has so much potential (love the new shape tool) but it still has too many bugs and I shouldn't have updated it until the next version.. :(
UPDATED: Works Great
I’m updating this review because of the version 3 update. It now recognizes handwriting very well. I haven’t thoroughly tested it but the problem I had was fixed and seems to be very good. I’m not sure how well the conversion works and if it converts the text and saves it in the note for the iPad version to then be able to search too, but I’ll find out soon.
ORIGINAL REVIEW: I think the app has great potential with a just a small amount of work. The app should match the abilities of the iPad version. The Mac version cannot convert the handwriting to text after it’s selected like you can do on the iPad. If you can it’s not obvious. It would also be nice if you could right click on the pictures that were taken with the program and save them as a JPG. The option now is to copy it to the clipboard, open it in another program such as Preview and then save. It seems to be a poor workaround.
It does sync very well with iCloud and I found it backs up just fine to Dropbox (iPad version). It will only allow one device on your account to back up. I’m not sure why unless it considers a backup just another sync.
Doesn't sync well
So I started using this app about a year ago and loved it at first. It's a great app with lots of very useful features. However, the problem I had and couldn't ever get anyone to help resolve is that it doesn't always synchronize correctly. If you don't use the iCloud Sync feature then you are fine using this app.
I'll try to explain. Using the app on multiple devices and using the iCloud Sync feature if I would enter text in a note on one device but then switch over to another app too quickly, I would lose all of the text or most of it that I entered. So if I didn't go right back to the note again, I never knew that I lost it. Something to do with the sync on iCloud wouldn't work. I thought that maybe I had to shut the app off on all of the other devices, so I did that. Still didn't work. So if the notes you're putting into Notability are important to you, I would make sure everything is syncing correctly because it may not be.
I lost a lot of stuff over the past year and probably more than what I know of.
I use the Notes App now and it's working great. It doesn't have the features that Notability has but it does sync everything very nicely!
Hopefully this helps.
- Ginger Labs, Inc.
- 98.1 MB
macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Ginger Labs, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.