Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation. Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Quickly create and edit notes by dragging and dropping documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop.
• Get more done with keyboard shortcuts.
• Secure and lock your notes using Touch ID.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 14 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you open multiple notes at once in new windows.
• Easily access your recently opened notes in the Recent Notes subject.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Easily create perfect shapes and precisely erase all ink in varied brush sizes
• Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
• Ink can be scaled, transformed, rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, and OneDrive are all supported!
iOS app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Keeps getting worse
I like Notability for its synching and auto-backup features but lately it has been horrible. I have run into SO many problems. Half of my notes now have the issue of "unable to load medata" which is incredibly annoying. Even worse though, now when I try to load the previous iCloud version history, I just get a blank page. So I am unable to access that note at all and have to dig through my GoogleDrive back up hoping its there. Another issue is that the formatting changes from laptop to iPad when you type notes.
One of my classes was a pathology class, so it was very important to be able to correctly identify images. I had written pages of notes so that the text would correctly line up with the images. When I went to open that same note on my iPad, all the text was shifted so that all my images were mislabeled.
I am just so tired and stressed of not being able to rely on my notes being correct and accessible when I need them. I keep having to report issues to Notability, and while sometimes they are good about getting back to me or releasing updates to fix glitches, it's too late by then. If I hadn't already have hundreds of notes on here I would have switched to something more reliable like OneNote. At this point I'm just ready to be done and am already dreading having to sort through my GoogleDrive to identify what needs to be fixed.
From Best to Worst
Notability was my favorite go to app for years. As a college professor, I raved about it to my students. Over the past few years, I have spent countless hours highlighting and making comments on PDF books and articles on my iPad using Notability. Now, for some reason, only my yellow highlight markings export. All the text is gone. Thousands of pages of text that I could move across platforms and print out and shared are now only exportable as blank, white pages, with yellow highlight markings. My recommendation is to not buy this app or you'll end up like me with graphics that can only be used to say "Don't eat the yellow snow." I've spent a day trying to find any workaround but am stumped. Thousands of wasted hours using this app. My documents are now stuck on an old iPad. Even buying another copy of this for my iOS laptop didn't help. Moving the PDFs to PCs didn't help. This is a painful lesson. The Editors' Choice must have been staged. I now see why this formerly amazing tool is barely a 2 out of 5. I'd give it a zero if I could. OUCH!
I have used Notability for several years. I also own Goodnotes. As a lawyer I used Notability in the courtroom everyday. Notability, combined with my ipad pro enabled me to never take any files to court. It was all in one package that I could use to take notes or demonstrate evidentiary items. I also own Goodnotes, which I do use occasionally for specific things. It is probably unusual to mention both apps in a Notabllity review. They are both good. However, in my day to day use, which is very heavy, recording client interviews, notes, taking notes in court, use in the library studying, etc.; I have found that Notability is my go to app. I really enjoy it. With a few small tweaks, such as allowing the pen to change a few colors without opening the pen section would be great; and I would like a few more templates, like Cornell notes etc. in Notabilty. I use a Cornell notes pdf in Notability, and that works, but it would be nice to have a Notability template of the same. As I said, Notability is my go to app 9 out of 10 times when I am taking notes. I recommend the app completely.
- Ginger Labs, Inc.
- 98.4 MB
macOS 10.13 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Ginger Labs, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.