Use your iPad and Apple Pencil to take handwritten notes, markup on imported PDFs, type text, convert handwriting to text, record audio while taking notes, create multi-media notes with images and photos and much more. Handwritten notes are searchable and can be stored on any cloud file service.
First released in 2010, Notes Plus has earned love from millions of iPad users for its superb handwriting experience. Notes Plus X is a complete rewrite as a document-based app where you can keep your notebooks anywhere on device or any cloud service. Learning from 10+ years making handwriting apps and reading user feedback, Notes Plus X provides a distraction-free user experience that is both simple and powerful. Completely rewritten in the latest programming language and technology, it is blazing fast and ready for many updates in many years to come.
WRITE LIKE ON REAL PAPER, AND MUCH BETTER
• Write with Apple Pencil or any capacitive styluses, even with your finger.
• Make any handwriting beautiful with patented vector-based inking effects (US 9189695 B2) for fountain pen, ballpoint pen, wet brush and calligraphy pen.
• Offer many smart gestures to keep distraction away like cross/scrub to delete or circle to select.
• Easily customize pen color, thickness, brush type, and switch between favorite pen styles.
• Convert handwriting to text for search or share.
TYPE LIKE IN WORD PROCESSORS
• Support rich text format like word processors.
• Change text font, color, and size for any text selection.
• Provide text boxes to be easily moved around, customized background, border, and shadow.
HIGHLIGHT LIKE WITH MARKUP TOOLS
• Highlight on PDF, text or handwriting with customizable highlighting styles.
• Automatically straighten highlighting lines to quickly perform any markup task.
• Erase only highlighting, not the text beneath it.
SKETCH LIKE IN DRAWING SOFTWARE
• Auto detect and draw perfect shapes and lines. Insert rich collection of shapes like rectangles, polygons, ellipses, and more.
• Move, resize, rotate, group, ungroup, bring to front, send to back, and much more.
• Insert, crop, rotate images and photos.
BE PRODUCTIVE WITH A POWERFUL TOOL!
• Create a to-do list, daily planner, journal entry, ...
• Manage documents in folders anywhere on device or iCloud or any cloud file services.
• Find notes directly from iOS Spotlight search.
• Present on external display as a digital whiteboard.
If these features are not enough, drop me a line suggesting a feature and I will consider adding it in future versions. I’m planning to keep Notes Plus X loved for another 10 years.
- Major bug fixes.
- Update to iOS 17 and Apple Pencil compatibility
Ratings and Reviews
Notes Plus X still buggy
I’ve been a Notes Plus and Notes Plus X user for a long time. I’ve introduced and got colleagues using it as well.
However, although I read comments that they can’t reproduce problems other users have seen, I’ve lost too much critical work. Doesn’t matter if on the cloud or on my iPad, I can change page to check something, come back and my last hour worth of work is gone. I close the app, come back 10 minutes later, my last page is gone.
I want to use it, but I feel the testing group hasn’t taken our concerns seriously enough to duplicate and fix.
Best of the iOS handwriting apps
I have been using Notes Plus for many years on and off, but lately I have been picking it up again and decided to go ahead and purchase this updated version of the app and I’m glad I did for two main reasons…
First of all, It’s difficult to write cleanly on an iPad no matter who you are, but handwriting in Notes Plus X is unparalleled. I’ve downloaded and tested every major iOS app for handwritten notes and none of the others are able to make my handwriting look so good. When you write, what you see is a slight improvement over what you actually wrote on the screen. It’s fantastic, especially when using the fountain pen tip.
Second, this newer version’s user interface is well-designed and practical. Menus, folders, and tools are mostly where I would expect, and it makes it very easy to navigate and just get to writing.
I recently purchased a new 2nd gen Apple Pencil and this is my exclusive go-to app for note taking and marking up PDFs. After a few days of heavy use, it has been glitch-free and stable on my iPad Pro, so don’t worry about old reviews that might be referencing problems that have been long since solved.
DO NOT GET THIS APP OR NOTES PLUS
I got this app thinking it would be an improvement from notes plus; paying $11 for both. For $11 you would think the app wouldn’t be as glitchy as it is. Both notes plus apps are SO GLITCHY it makes it SO HARD to take notes for school. If you wanted a note taking app DO NOT waste your money on this. I will write an entire word and it will be there for a second and then the app will just delete it and i’ll have to keep rewriting it which I don’t have time for because i’m trying to keep up in class. Or I will try to write something over and over again and it won’t show up and i’ll have to stop for a minute and then all of a sudden it will work again. You can’t import word documents, nor powerpoints which is annoying since you have to convert them to PDF first. There are more glitches I just don’t even feel like wasting my time typing this anymore since I already wasted $22 on these apps.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Viet Tran
- 29.6 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © Viet Tran
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.