Noto is a simple, pretty, and straightforward plain text editor for macOS.
With few but focused features, Noto is the ideal tool to maintain short notes, lists, and source code files without clutter.
Customize the appearance of the editor with your preferred colors; download themes, or create and share your own. Toggle different panels to customize the appearance of the editor, such as a line numbers bar, the toolbar, and an information bar that displays statistics about the document (characters, words, and lines count; document encoding).
Open and save documents using specific file encodings (especially useful to read and write files from/to older systems, for example).
Some of the other features include:
* iCloud Drive support: Store your files on iCloud Drive and have them always with you.
* File versioning support: Browse, copy, and restore previous versions of your file. Works out of the box on macOS, but works even better if you tore your files on iCloud Drive and/or if you have Time Machine enabled.
* Distraction free mode: Work on full screen and see only your content. You can hide all non-essential panels to make most use of your screen space.
* Multiple-selection indentation: Select several chunks of text by holding Command to increase and decrease the indentation. Useful for quickly fixing a piece of code.
* Invisible characters rendering: Enable this feature to have Noto show hints of invisible characters in the text, so you can see those pesky whitespaces at the end of lines.
Noto is Free Software distributed under the GPLv3 license, and with source available on GitHub. Please notice: Due to the way the Mac App Store distributes applications, you can't redistribute Noto if you downloaded it from the Mac App Store. If you wish to have a freely redistributable binary, visit the Noto website and download the signed binary from there.
Updated invisibles rendering. Now uses more intuitive invisible character representations.
Adds new help book.
Plenty of performance improvements (and more under work to be released in the next version).
Ratings and Reviews
Why did it take so long to find this?
I've been using macOS for four years and have wanted to find just a plain-ol' no-frills text editor, like Notepad on WIndows or gEdit on Linux. macOS does provide TextEdit, but it has all the Rich Text and other bloat that I don't want. (TextEdit is closer to Windows Wordpad than Notepad.) Noto is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you!
I found this because I needed an editor which would let me show hidden characters (like page breaks). It worked perfectly for that purpose and is also very pleasant to use. I normally use Moped, and this compares very favorably.
THE notepad replacement for the Mac!
Having left Windows years ago, I've never found the perfect Notepad replacement for Mac... until now. Noto is the perfect replacement for that simple Windows app that Textedit, even after much customization, can never be. I can't recommend this app enough!
The developer, Bruno Philipe Resende Silva, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Bruno Philipe Resende Silva
- 5.9 MB
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2017 Bruno Philipe. All rights reserved.