Number Pieces helps students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills with multi-digit numbers. Students use the number pieces to represent multi-digit numbers, regroup, add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
• Add and manipulate pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
• Change the starting set of pieces to a basic or an advanced set.
• Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart (e.g., 10 ones into 1 ten and vice versa).
• Use the expanding edge piece like a measuring tape to show the dimensions of arrays created with the pieces.
• Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
• Move, rotate, and duplicate pieces individually or as a group.
• Use the drawing tools to label representations and show understanding.
• Add equations, expressions, and descriptions with the math text and writing tools.
• Zoom and scroll to work with larger collections of pieces.
• Hide and reveal work with resizable covers to create your own problems and model strategies.
• Share your work by saving an image or providing a share code to others.
For more Number Pieces resources and other apps, visit:
To learn about Bridges in Mathematics, an elementary curriculum that employs visual models like number pieces, visit:
This resource is brought to you by The Math Learning Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to K-12 education since 1976.
Number Pieces was made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations. We help improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.
Visit us: www.clarity-innovations.com
Version 4.2 introduced an enhanced palette with additional drawing and annotation tools: highlighter, rectangular and round shapes, variable line thickness, and arrowheads. 4.2.1 contains some bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Wonderful but would like split screen ability
This app is great for playing around with place value and base ten ideas. I would love to see the ability to use the split screen option on iPads- would be so helpful for my virtual learners who are using it to help them with the Bridges workbook pages.
This app is best utilized with teacher-based instruction. Students are likely to be somewhat engaged with the application since elements are basic. . The ability to create base ten blocks with the number pieces are not challenging and students are not distracted by any additional frills. However, there is no instruction, or game-like quality for students to do independently so teacher instruction is needed in order for students to understand the purpose of using the app, what they are creating, and what it represents. Additionally, there is no way for a teacher to assess student’s growth or record their progress.
It deletes itself
So in school everyday we have math and the teacher wants us to use this but then if you leave the app for even a second everything is automatically deleted so please get rid of this feature or fix this glitch because it gets on my nerves a lot.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Math Learning Center
- 8.6 MB
- Requires iPadOS 14.7 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 The Math Learning Center