WILDLIFE GUIDE APPS
From the National Wildlife Federation, America’s oldest and largest wildlife conservation education organization, comes a series of comprehensive and interactive apps that bring field guides into the 21st century.
The National Wildlife Federation Wildlife Guides will help you discover the wild animals, plants and mushrooms of North America via 50,000 pages of expert-curated content, thousands of the highest quality professional photographs, maps, and drawings, and more than 4,000 bird, mammal, insect, and amphibian sounds.
Get all the apps and carry one of the richest field guide series in your pocket wherever you go with 24/7 access at your fingertips!
This authoritative and easy-to-use guide features 627 North American butterflies and common moths, with more than 1,850 photographs, range maps, dynamic search functions and more.
Utilizing the latest iOS technologies, you can:
• Search by name (common and scientific) using either keyboard or verbal search systems; type or speak all or part of a butterfly’s name to search for its detailed account.
• Organize butterfly species alphabetically or taxonomically.
• Search by family, shape, habitat, region, color, size—or any combination.
• Touch to open any or all of the text sections, and to enlarge photos.
• Take notes and upload photos to keep a digital journal of your observations and share them with family, friends, and our growing online community.
Each species account contains:
• description with identification details
• habitat description
• range information
• discussion of the species’ behavior and other notable characteristics
• Family and Order information
• photos of similar species with links to those species’ accounts
• links to additional information for every species
Other National Wildlife Federation Nature Guide apps in this series include:
• National Wildlife Federation Guide to Birds
• National Wildlife Federation Guide to Mammals
• National Wildlife Federation Guide to Reptiles
• National Wildlife Federation Guide to Amphibians
• National Wildlife Federation Guide to Insects and Spiders
• National Wildlife Federation Guide to Mushrooms
• National Wildlife Federation Guide to Herbs
• National Wildlife Federation Guide to Vegetables
© 2020 National Wildlife Federation. All rights reserved.
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Don’t forget to rate us and review—we love your feedback!
Ratings and Reviews
Good but not great
This app has a lot of great information about butterflies as well as pictures of adults. I hope they will add photos of butterfly larva at least and pupae would be great as well. I would also love if they could have a way to mark a species as a favorite or have a life list to keep track of species you’ve seen and are commonly seen by the user to more easily access info about them.
Had trouble opening initially but now working. Nice adult pics but wish I’d seen the review stating it doesn’t help with ID of the larval forms before I bought this.
App help is limited.
This app looks good and has beautiful images of butterflies, but is essentially a small set of flash cards. The identification feature is not robust, and there are several butterflies in my midwestern backyard that are not included. Feels very much like a beta version. I bought the app despite its extraordinarily high price considering it a donation to the NWF. Better, I think, to donate directly without buying the app.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Fieldstone Publishing, Inc.
- 459.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Fieldstone Publishing, Inc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.