A beautiful solitaire "black box" game for the iPhone and iPod Touch. This classic game of hide and seek is a puzzle where you fire rays into a grid of cells and interpret the results to locate hidden targets.
Touch and release the red "ray bays" around the edge of the grid to fire a ray. Tap in the grid to summon and drag targets to where you think they are. Tap the "Legend" button for a quick study of the ray results and their meanings.
Obscurant has been crafted with meticulous attention to detail so that it feels like a natural part of your device. It starts up rapidly and always remembers your current puzzle in its current state, making it easy to resume and ponder anytime you like. Perfect for whiling away a few minutes while standing in line, or anytime you want a quick mental workout.
Understanding the behavior of the rays can be tricky for new users, so Obscurant provides several ways to handicap one's score while making the game much easier:
- The paths of the rays can be shown during the game. You can also turn them on at the end of a normal game, in order to understand the results.
- The hidden targets can be kept off of the edges of the grid, where they often produce the most difficult results.
- The number of targets, which is normally four, can be reduced to 1, 2, or 3. (Or, increase the number to 5 for a harder game.)
- A pop-up legend is available to provide quick reminders of the game rules: tap the "Legend" button to see it. A button on the legend page links to more complete online documentation.
Obscurant is back, after a ground-up rewrite, but the same great look and feel.
Ratings and Reviews
Beautiful graphics and animation. I researched Black Box apps and decided on this one, and it was a good purchase. It brings back all the fun of firing hypothetical beams through a mystery matrix to logically determine the location of the hidden targets. The only problem with the board game version was, of course, not always having that other player when you wanted a game. Obscurant plays well and looks good. Get it and have some fun being your own mad scientist.
Best Black Box ever
What the screenshots can't show is all the wonderful animations. Summoning balls from the tray, zeroing in on the actual target locations, and even just opening the game are all mini works of art. The first time I ran the app, I literally just quit and restarted 3 or 4 times to watch the initial fade. I've never really "gotten" the Black Box game mechanic before, but this version makes it much clearer to me. Lots of fun!
I've been looking for this!
I have played a similar game under different names, and I love it...thank you for making this available! I'd like to see the option to (automatically & always) see the rays AFTER finishing the game (rather than having to go thru the menu each time) because I'm having difficulty with understanding the ways the green block can be created... the extra red gridlines are a bit confusing also...Overall, this is a clean and well designed game, and runs smoothly. This game is a keeper!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Derek Jones
- 42.2 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Derek T. Jones
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.