Octachron is a flexible 8 Track MIDI Sequencer with rich modulation and sequencing capabilities. It is optimized for drums but also fun for experimental melody lines. It works standalone or as AUv3 AudioUnit in your favourite iPad DAW (like AUM, Cubasis, Beatmaker, ApeMatrix or Nanostudio etc.).
“An exciting MIDI sequencer with advanced features” (Synth Anatomy)
“Particularly the probability parameters are a lot of fun” (Amazona)
“Octachron controls just everything with iPad” (Gearnews)
*Please notice: Octachron is a MIDI sequencer and does not create any sound of its own*
We believe in specialization, so Octachron is focused on in depth MIDI sequencing. Control your favourite iPad drums like Ruismaker or MV08, synths like Zeeon or Model D or any hard- or software MIDI instrument with it.
*iOS 11 or higher required. If used with a host software, this has to be compatible with the MIDI AudioUnit standard.*
- Standalone or AUv3 AudioUnit
- 1-32 steps with flexible clock divider and custom time signatures
- 8 mutable tracks with adjustable length
- Up to 8 chainable patterns (song mode)
- Swing with flexible swing grid
- Save and restore your presets
- Parameter lock for velocity, trigger probability, ratcheting and MIDI CC
- Scales generator
- MIDI control pattern selection and mute
- Customizable mapping and mapping presets
*Various MIDI mapping presets for popular drum machines*
- Ruismaker & Ruismaker FM
- DM1 & DM2
- EGDR 606, 808 & 909
- Dadamachines Automat
- SB Drumcomputer
- FAC Drumkit
- NS2 Slate
*For melodic instruments generate various scales in all keys*
Octachron is optimized for drums but also supports standard scales like major and minor and also more unusual ones like mixolydian and phrygian. So you can even accompany mom’s church choir, if you like to :)
(See full list of possible scales below)
- Velocity and MIDI CC modulation
- Multiply number of hits per step with ratcheting
- Trigger probability
- MIDI CC on every step
- Assign MIDI notes to each track or use mapping presets
- Individual track length to create polyrhythms
*Live Performance features*
- Instant pattern switch option
- Mute function per track to easily build up layers in live situations
- Sequence other standalone apps, AUv3 AudioUnits or external hardware via MIDI
- Octachron derives its timing from the host application, its internal clock or via AbletonLink
- Trigger on different MIDI channels per track
Major, Minor, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor, Pentatonic Major, Pentatonic Minor, Pentatonic Blues, Pentatonic Neutral, Ionian, Aeolian, Dorian, Mixolydian, Phrygian, Lydian, Locrian, Dim half, Dim whole, Whole, Augmented, Chromatic, Roumanian Minor, Spanish Gypsy, Blues, Diatonic, Double Harmonic, Eight Tone Spanish, Enigmatic, Leading Whole Tone, Lydian Augmented, Neopolitan Major, Neopolitan Minor, Pelog, Prometheus, Prometheus Neopolitan, Six Tone Symmetrical, Super Locrian, Lydian Minor, Lydian Diminished, Nine Tone Scale, Auxiliary Diminished, Auxiliary Augmented, Auxiliary Dim Blues, Major Locrian, Overtone, Diminished Whole Tone, Pure Minor, Dominant 7th
We are very happy to finally ship another free update for you, including:
- Numerical BPM input option via tap
- Drag and drop song patterns to change their order
- Edit-only function via tap-and-hold or shift
- Play indicator and countdown of played repeats
- Patterns set to 0 repeats are skipped in song mode by default
- New MIDI mappings
- Completely new move x and y function in the pattern menu for more experimental grooves
Ratings and Reviews
Ugh so close to perfect
This is the closest thing I’ve seen to a perfect step sequencer on iPad . With minimal work it could be perfect. But it’s missing 2 key features that actually make it worse than a lot of sequencers out there for the user
1. No note length. Makes it useless for anything but plucks and drums. Just adding a gate modulation row would make me use this sequencer above all others. And would raise this review to 5 stars
2. Only 1 octave. This would be harder to fix but also less important imo
In any case this is so close it makes me sad every time I open it.
Extra cool thing would be midi recording.
Developer Response ,
Hey DSB, thank you so much for your nice review of our MIDI Drum Sequencer.
And thank you also very much for your suggestions. They definitely make sense. Though we decided to focus on Octachron being a drum sequencer. But we collect all the feedback and prioritize it for further updates.
Keep enjoying Octachron and best greetings from Munich!
Love this step sequencer but it is buggy!
Ok so i figured out how to midi route this step sequencer with EG Pulse since i can drag and drop my files from files app into EG Pulse very conveniently. All first 8 pads are routed and everything is great but this step sequence keeps repeating notes that I don’t have any repeat on. Specifically with the first slot which i have my snare preset to and it just repeats the snare hit when I don’t want it to. Second bug is for the second slot and the problem i have with that is my kick just mutes when I turn song mode on so i can get 64 steps. The first 32 steps for my kick, which is the second slot, just does play and it unmutes for the second pattern. Super frustrating when this step sequencer is suppose to speed up my workflow.
Developer Response ,
Hey juanthedon888, thanks for your review of our MIDI drum sequencer and sorry to hear that. We tested it again and especially in AUM it went very well. Do you still have these issues?
If you want to sequence drums in IOS, this app is the one to get imo. Straightforward but with a lot of good variation options (probability, polymeter, patterns). It's so nice to control various tracks at once on the same app.
For the price it's absolutely worth it. I do wish that it was easier to switch between the parameter being automated (not easy to change live). Also not being able to set all automation steps to the same value makes automating pitched drums hard. But it's still a great app.
Developer Response ,
Hey disbliss, thank you very much for your nice review. Glad you like our MIDI Drum Sequencer. We collect all the feedback and prioritize it for further updates. Keep enjoying Octachron and best greetings from Munich!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Markus Teufel
- 13.9 MB
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Markus Teufel
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.