offCents rewards you for offsetting carbon emissions from travel! Track and offset your carbon footprint by purchasing or earning verified carbon offset credits. Through the in-app marketplaceof rewards save money or receive free eco-products for taking action. offCents procures carbon offset credits for you from projects that are scientifically verified for their emission reductions. offCents is also committed to making you carbon negative through our carbon-negative campaign! Do good and be rewarded!
* Earn free carbon offset credits from taking positive actions: walking, biking, and shopping with eco-conscious brands. Connect offCents with the Apple Health Kit to improve step counting and make sure we're rewarding you for all your walking or running.
* The application automatically detects and calculates emissions from car, plane, train, bus, and ferry trips.
- offCents defaults ground transportation to an average car ride, but you can update your default mode of ground transportation.
- After a trip, update a trip’s mode of transportation with a simple tap of the vehicle icon on a trip card.
Individual trips or your month’s total balance may be offset from the application with earned or purchased carbon credits.
* Look out for more rewards to come and ways to save money while combating climate change!
* offCents is committed to reinvesting profits into renewable energy. Why?! The world requires $2.4 trillion of climate-related infrastructure investment each year through 2035 in order to limit warming to 1.5°C. The world is only investing about 25% of what’s needed!
- General bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great Concept, Faulty App
I love the idea that walking + biking will offset automatically calculated travel emissions. For the most part, that is how OffCents functions. However, the app has several bugs—for example, the home screen feature displaying amount of emissions remaining to be offset always shows an incorrect number. On the Trips tab, trips remaining to be offset sometimes show up & sometimes don’t. Clicking the “offset” button sometimes works, sometimes lags, & sometimes crashes the app. These are not essential elements, but they do detract from ease of the app’s use.
The rewards are also, in my mother’s words, “a bit dinky.” Many are simply coupons you could likely find online. I understand that rewards are far from the main purpose of this app, but if you’re going to offer them, it would be far more enticing to be offered something substantial.
OffCents does a good job in being transparent about the types of offsets retired by the company, but making this a bit more immediately visible & interactive would be nice. Some sort of choice regarding which offset the user retires or more extensive background on the offsets would likely motivate offsetting more than offering coupons does.
Great concept, but flawed.
The app has a great concept but there are few things that make it fall short.
1. Steps/walking consistently underestimates.
2. The vehicle efficiencies are too high for some vehicles. Our SUV does not get 27mpg on our commutes, it gets 19 (hills, slowdowns, driving style, etc.
3. The price of a ton of carbon is too low to have any meaningful impact. Estimates for the cost of a ton of carbon dioxide emitted to full encapsulate the social costs and pay for the externality are around $80/ton in US. This app works out at a cost of $15/ton.
If the app developers think this is too high there should be an option for users to change the cost per ton, with $15-20/ton as a price floor/minimum.
Everyone should have this app
This app is freaking amazing to the point where it helped lessen my suicidal thoughts about being a burden on the environment. I love this app and think it’s one everyone should have which is why I gave it five stars. I have however come across a problem where my credits are not loading and I’m not sure why or how to fix it. I’m assuming that either it’s just my phone being annoying since it’s old or that the problem will get fixed in the next update.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the review! We're glad you are enjoying the app. Please try out the Credits tab again, we have made a fix for it as you predicted! If you are still experiencing issues, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- offCents, Inc.
- 89.5 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 offCents, PBC
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.