OmniOutliner 5 4+
Think, write, do.
The Omni Group
- Offers In-App Purchases
This is OmniOutliner 5: a flexible, svelte, and focused app for creating, collecting, and organizing information and ideas. OmniOutliner Essentials is simple—everything you need to get started. Pro adds powerful features like smart columns, password protection, keyboard shortcuts, and plenty more. Try out both for free!
Use an outline to put structure on new ideas, rearrange them and construct beautiful documents for sharing with built-in themes. But it’s way more than just an outlining tool—you’ve got multiple columns, smart checkboxes, pop-up lists, and a fantastically rich styles system.
Draft a simple to-do list, create an agenda for a meeting, take notes, plan events, write anything from diaries to screenplays, or any other task that calls for structured text.
With the free two week trial, you can try all of the features of Essentials and Pro. After the trial, you can continue to use OmniOutliner to view documents for free.
ESSENTIALS EDITION FEATURES (AVAILABLE VIA IN-APP PURCHASE)
• Filters: Use the search field in the toolbar to do a quick keyword filter.
• Document Stats: Row, word, and character count are displayed in the bottom bar.
• Distraction-Free Mode: Automatically hide the toolbar when switching to full screen.
• Side Margins: drag the margin borders to set the width of your outline independent of your display width.
• Cell Highlight: The cell being edited is indicated by a highlight on the left edge to give you more context.
• Touch Bar: Use and customize the Touch Bar for quick access to features.
• Dark Mode: OmniOutliner’s UI adapts to match your document theme.
• Bottom Padding: You’ll no longer be stuck typing at the bottom of the window with the extra padding added below outlines.
• Typewriter Mode: Keep your eye line constant by keeping the active row in the middle of the screen.
• New File Format: OmniOutliner 5 uses a new .ooutline format: a flat (zipped) file that is more compatible with third-party cloud platforms.
• Pro Document Compatibility: Documents with Pro features are fully viewable in Essentials, along with an option to import a copy that removes all Pro content.
PRO FEATURES (AVAILABLE VIA IN-APP PURCHASE)
• Filters: Create and save complex filters based on status, column data, and boolean operations.
• Password Encryption: Add a password to secure your documents (AES-256 encryption).
• Slide-in Sidebars: In full screen, moving the cursor to either edge of the screen makes the sidebars appear temporarily.
• Style Preview: A preview of the style you are inspecting is shown at the top of the inspectors.
• Multiple-Row Focus: Focus on multiple selections by command-clicking them in the section list.
• Resize Column to Fit: Select a column and have OmniOutliner adjust the width with the Resize to fit button in the Column Type Inspector.
• Specify Column Widths: The Column Inspector now has an editable field for the width. Columns can also be set to resize with the window or be set to a specific width.
• Keyboard Shortcuts: Easily customize shortcuts to your own liking.
• Excel Export: Export to xlsx format.
For video tutorials and other information, please visit our website!
If you have any feedback or questions, we'd love to hear from you! The Omni Group offers free tech support: you can reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 1-800-315-6664 or +1-206-523-4152, or on twitter at @omnioutliner.
Subscription Terms of Service: https://www.omnigroup.com/legal
• Stability: Fixed possible crash when trying to print.
If you have any feedback or questions, we’d love to hear from you! The Omni Group offers free tech support; you can email email@example.com, call 1–800–315–6664 or 1–206–523–4152, or tweet @OmniOutliner.
If OmniOutliner empowers you, we would appreciate an App Store review. Your review will help other people find OmniOutliner and make them more productive too.
Ratings and Reviews
I really want to love this app.. but
I've been trying to use Omnioutliner for a couple years. I love the idea of it. I certainly see the potential. However, if you want to hear a user cussing at his Mac, come by when I'm trying to do somethign in this tool. It might be the least intuative piece of software I try to use.
- Promoting and demoting- easy tab and shift tab, unelss it defaults for some reason to makeing every return a child. .and then I have search teh manual to figure out why.
- Open a OPML Doc. and half the functionaliy is missing. Can not figure out how to update or save as the right file..
- Formating is clugey, have to figure you inspector or formatting window you want,
It's a long list for me. Maybe I'm just not that saavy or have a block when it comes to this tool, .. here we are.
The good news, and why it has three stars, when I do finally figure out how to make it work, it's great. Sadly that's about 1/2 the time
Sadly, I'm Done
I used to be an Omni fanboy. I lived my life in OmniFocus. I ran my work in OmniOutliner. I told all my friends about it. But that was then.
In the past few years, other apps have caught-up to the Omnigroup. Other apps aren't this expensive. Other apps dont require me to spend another $50 for the iOS version after spending about the same for the Mac version, which is after upgrading from the previous version, which I also had paid for.
I've been spending more of my time in Linux lately as well (which isn't Omni's fault), but alas I can't use OO on my Linux box (but I do have access to a plethora of other tools that provide the same functionality across all devices, for less cost).
But the coup d'etat is the dreadful sync experience with OmniPresence. When I'm on my Linux I use the iPhone version to access and edit outlines, and coming back to my Mac this evening I have (again) four different files with sync issues! I made multiple changes in several spots to these outlines, which meant I had to go through all four line-by-line and compare the two versions of each to piece together a solid outline. Not using iCloud for default sync at this point is untenable, as is the position taken by Omnigroup that somehow their software needs this special sync agent.
I need a trustworthy cross-platform tool. I will certainly miss OO, but I'm done.
Developer Response ,
With the iOS 13 update for OmniOutliner for iOS which adopts Apple's document browser, iCloud Drive is our recommended solution for cross platform syncing. OmniPresence was released in 2013 before iCloud Drive even existed, but times have changed. It's now easy to both open and create new documents directly on iCloud Drive or any compatible file provider via Apple's document browser. However, using iCloud Drive does not prevent sync conflicts but can provide a better experience under certain conditions. If anyone has questions about this or anything else, our support team is available to assist you at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone Mon - Fri, 10am - 5pm Pacific at 1 (206) 523-4152. Thanks!
Cannot believe the makers of omnifocus are behind this product
This outliner app is just clunky and awful compared to other Omnigroup products. Try editing an outline at all or dragging parts of the outline around. You just can’t. Or at least I couldn’t drag a subheading from one top-level heading to another. Also, Select all doesn’t work, but you can hold down shift and select multiple items individually? Not great to introduce friction into an outlining app.
I feel like I’m back in the early/mid-nineties when drag and drop wasn’t universal and people were just figuring out intuitive elements of the UI. For $10? No thanks. I’d rather outline things in Omnifocus, as silly as that sounds, but it’s actually way superior app for the task. Save your money and just get OF and export as taskpaper.
Developer Response ,
Sorry for the late reply. All the things mentioned here are abilities of the app. You can drag rows around to any location and select rows with Select All. These interactions work the same as they do in OmniFocus. If you’re interested in trying out OmniOutliner again please contact us at email@example.com or by phone Mon - Fri, 10am - 5pm Pacific at 1 (206) 523-4152 and we’ll be happy to help you get set up and answer any questions you have. Thanks!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Omni Group
- 42.6 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2000-2022 The Omni Group
- In-App Purchases
- Free Trial $0.00
- OmniOutliner Subscription $4.99
- Unlock Essentials $19.99
- Unlock Pro $99.99
- Upgrade to v5 Pro $49.99
- Upgrade from Essentials to Pro $79.99
- OmniOutliner Subscription $49.99
- Free upgrade to v5 Pro $0.00
- Upgrade to v5 Essentials $19.99
- Upgrade from Essentials to Pro with discount $29.99