Onion Browser is the original free and open-source Tor-powered web browser for iOS. Onion Browser helps you access the internet with more safety and privacy, and no extra cost to you.
“The best Tor-related offering on iOS right now is Onion Browser” - The Daily Dot, October 14, 2015.
Featured in: The New York Times, The Guardian, Salon, TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Boing Boing, Lifehacker, Macworld, The Daily Dot, & others.
• Browse the internet over Tor:
- Protect your privacy from website tracking
- Secure your traffic from insecure wireless networks and ISPs
- Support for HTTPS Everywhere, an automatic switch to HTTPS enabled websites
- Access .onion sites that are only accessible over Tor.
• Fight online tracking: block scripts and automatically clear cookies and tabs, based on your preferences.
• And more privacy-enhancing features!
- Web browsing is much slower than through a normal web browser or a VPN because your traffic is encrypted and relayed through the Tor network.
- Multimedia often bypass Tor and compromise your privacy; video files and video streams are blocked by default and are not supported by Onion Browser.
- Onion Browser might not work on networks with advanced network restrictions. If the app does not connect, try using bridges (or a different type of bridge), force-quit, and then restart the app.
- Use of Onion Browser is at your own risk; remember that sensitive data does not always belong on a mobile device.
** Onion Browser is free and open-source software. You can read more about Onion Browser and how to support development of Tor on iOS by visiting onionbrowser.com **
- Rephrased security levels and improved their description.
- Added Nextcloud Bookmarks support.
- Added optional biometric/device passcode app lock.
- Added automatic retrieval of OBFS4 bridges via Meek.
- Fixed memory leaks, where RAM usage would increase over time, because tabs were never really removed from memory.
- Empty all background tabs on memory warning signal from iOS.
- Fixed problems with sometimes deleted start page.
- Fixed links to onionbrowser.com.
- Updated translations.
- Small bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best iOS alternative
Onion Browser has been the best Tor Browser alternative for iOS. From what I have seen, it behaves the same way that the PC Tor Browser does, offering many of the same features, security and anonymity. Of the many Tor browsers for iOS I have tried, Onion Browser tales the cake. Knowing that The Tor Project endorses Onion Browser is a huge step forward for Tor use on iOS and mobile platforms I general. Until The Tor Project is able to develop and release the real Tor Browser for iOS and mobile, Onion Browser certainly does the trick. These days, in an extremely mobile world, Tor on mobile is much more important than Tor on a computer, and I believe that most people believe the same. Literally the only issue I have with this browser, is the fact that if the app spends longer than a few seconds in the background, it will lose its connection to the Tor Network, forcing us to force quit the app and re-launch it. I understand the limitations and the technical stuff with iOS, and that is the reason for this, but if there were a workaround that could be implemented, that would be fantastic. Because of the app losing its Tor connection, and requiring a force quit to reconnect, it causes me to lose anything and everything I am doing online, which is a real set back. Other than that, it is the best Tor Browser I have used.
Doesn’t work, AT ALL!
Well, the app launches, then closes and nothing happens. Yup, I’m browsing so anonymously that even I can’t see the browser itself! Lol. Great job, I bet the next version will be so anonymous that my entire iPad will, poof, maxx level anonymity yo!
Ok but seriously, I thought this was supposed to be the best Tor variant in the App Store and its the worst as it doesn’t even stay opened. I just used the very first one on the app list when I searched and it turned out to be the best, with the highest rating of 4.8 I believe vs. this one that (prior to my review of 1 star) has a rating of 3.6....that terrible rating made me skeptical to begin with and I should have just gone with my gut as I usually do but I tried to give the benefit of the doubt to Mike since he worked on the original Tor project. Idk what went wrong mike but this is absolutely below sub par, and sub par is already unacceptable. I almost feel like I should be paid for my time to test & evaluate the app and leave a review for the amount of time it took. /sigh 😩
Initially, I was learning more than I imagined I was able to absorb!
Okay a delete and reinstall repaired functional it’s, sorry Onion it’s a noble app by application. And, execution. Educational x10 too.
Now, It fails on open << ever time since 11.5.2 >> if this is going to be a common theme at the AppStore then I trust there is going to be a Great Wave to come crashing in P/E as in recent days but the size is going to be tsunami and final.
Not necessarily your fault their Onion but an ignorance in business is just going to go the way it was imagined we have tort law and consumer protection and agencies to govern these and more than likely as in checkers there’ll be some jumping to Senate as opposed to judiciary digital media and the like laws updated and refined reflecting the standards for trade and brand new ones it’s not a dark day, it’s a a shining moment of truth coming to some and some won’t survive the day. Tough.
- Mike Tigas
- 145.7 MB
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Bengali, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Japanese, Macedonian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2012-2020 Tigas Ventures, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Small Onion Browser Tip $0.99
- Medium Onion Browser Tip $4.99
- Large Onion Browser Tip $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.