News: We invented the collaborative scanning app in 2012. As we turn 10, we’re reinventing it from the ground up!
This app lets you find food that's good for you and good for the planet by scanning their barcodes.
You will get personalized health & eco-impact info for 2.3M foods.
Set your food preferences without ruining your privacy
A scan that truly matches who you are
Green: the product matches your criteria
Red: there is a problem
Gray: Help us answer you by photographing the products
Compare in a few seconds those 3 different tomato sauces left on the shelf.
Get a tailored comparison of any food category
Food criteria you can pick
Additives & Ultra processed foods
Scan, find & compare more than 2,3 million food products
Choose products that are good for you
- The Nutri-Score grade, from A to E : Nutritional quality
- The NOVA group, from 1 to 4 : Avoid ultra-processed foods (Group 4)
Choose products that are good the planet
- Food causes over 1/3 of global greenhouse gas emissions
- The Eco-Score grade, from A to E : a synthesis of 16 environmental impacts
Contribute to Food Transparency
- Open Food Facts is made by everyone, for everyone!
- In short, we're "the Wikipedia of food", as the press nicknamed the project. Open Food Facts has also enabled the creation of over 150+ apps like Date Limite, Yuka or FoodVisor.
- Use it to make better food choices
- The app is also collaborative. If the product is missing, contribute pictures and data to get the Nutri-Score, food processing level (NOVA) and Eco-Score.
- Make a difference today by photographing a product from your kitchen.
- Open Food Facts is a non-profit project made by thousands of volunteers from around the world. Why don't you join us ?
Decipher food labels
We decipher products labels for you. You'll find:
- Nutrition: The Nutriscore (nutritional score), nutrients, fat, transfat, carbohydrates, sugars, fiber, protein, salt & sodium.
- Environment: The Ecoscore (including carbon footprint (CO2 emissions), packaging (as well as recycling instructions), environmental labels (organic, quality etc.), and origins of ingredients)
- Other: brands, allergens, labels (bio, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, halal, kosher...), traceability information (packaging codes, origins, food factories)
- On wines and beers, you'll find the alcohol content.
Our grades are science-based, and Open Food Facts is helping science!
- We don't make up things. We rely on peer-reviewed science.
- The Nutri-Score has been created by the independent French team led by Professor Hercberg.
- The NOVA groups on food processing have been designed by the international team of Professor Monteiro.
- The additives synthesis is based on reviews by EFSA on exposure levels on food additives.
- The Eco-Score is based on ground breaking data by ADEME, the French environmental agency, adapted for the world.
- The Open Food Facts community is collaborating with research teams across the planet for research that benefits all.
Your food, your data. Privacy-friendly app.
- You can use the app anonymously
- Your food data is yours, and is never sent online
Set up allergen alerts on products
- Do you have a Milk, Gluten, Eggs, Soybeans, Nuts, Fish, Celery, Mustard, Sulphites, Peanuts, Sesame seeds, Crustaceans, Molluscs or Lupin allergy ?
- Speed up your shopping with an initial screening with Open Food Facts.
- Be careful that the info and the detection may not be 100% accurate. Always double check by yourself, with the packaging.
Web version: https://world.openfoodfacts.org
Questions, feedback : email@example.com
For cosmetics, you can install Open Beauty Facts.
Various bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Wonderful but could easily be 5
I’m so impressed by the developers who created an open source food database that’s free. It has amazing data in it. However, it needs some polishing. Ceating an account is unnecessarily glitchy. You can’t get an ampersand for the email address because it gives a phone keyboard for the account ID. I found a workaround by using the microphone feature of your phone. Then it gave me a regular keyboard for some reason. Small things like that should be easy to fix. Then I would not hesitate to change my rating from 4 to 5. I guess it might be difficult to test the fix since one only registers once.
Scanner works fast and well
The scanner works well and is fast. Great for the French products but not so much for the US. The database needs to grow more.
Developer Response ,
There's now half a million decoded products in the US :-)
And it's now easier to add even more
Works as described but lacks data
This is a great idea. The problem is that although the scanner recognizes the product (at least generically, but often not the specifics such as the brand) there is no data in the dB for many products. The first four items I scanned all asked ME to enter all the data from the package. Tsk tsk. If you’re crowdsourcing the data it’s going to take a while before this app becomes useful.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Open Food Facts
- 84.7 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Acoli, Afar, Afrikaans, Akan, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Assamese, Asturian, Azerbaijani, Bambara, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Breton, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Chechen, Cherokee, Chuvash, Cornish, Corsican, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, Estonian, Faeroese, Filipino, Finnish, French, Gaelic, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Inuktitut, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kabyle, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Kurdish, Kyrgyz, Laotian, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongo, Mongolian, Ndebele, South, Nepali, Norwegian Bokmål, Norwegian Nynorsk, Occitan, Oriya, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Quechua, Rhaeto-Romance, Romanian, Russian, Sangro, Sanskrit, Santali, Sardinian, Scots, Serbian, Seselwa Creole French, Sesotho, Setswana, Shona, Sichuan Yi, Simplified Chinese, Sindhi, Singhalese, Siswati, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Southern Sami, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tahitian, Tajik, Tamil, Tatar, Telugu, Thai, Tibetan, Tigrinya, Tsonga, Turkish, Uighur, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vehes, Venda, Venetian, Vietnamese, Vlaams, Walloon, Welsh, Wolof, Xhosa, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zeeuws, Zulu
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Open Food Facts