Official App for Access Server, CloudConnexa™, and OpenVPN compatible services.
WHAT IS OPENVPN CONNECT?
The OpenVPN Connect app does NOT independently provide a VPN service. It is a client application that establishes and transports data over an encrypted secure tunnel via the internet, using the OpenVPN protocol, to a VPN server.
WHICH VPN SERVICES CAN BE USED WITH OPENVPN CONNECT?
OpenVPN Connect is the only VPN client created, developed, and maintained by OpenVPN Inc. Our customers use it with our business solutions, listed below, for secure remote access, enforcing zero trust network access (ZTNA), protecting access to SaaS apps, securing IoT communications, and in many other scenarios.
- CloudConnexa™: This cloud-delivered service integrates virtual networking with essential secure access service edge (SASE) capabilities such as firewall-as-a-service (FWaaS), intrusion detection and prevention system (IDS/IPS), DNS-based content filtering, and zero-trust network access (ZTNA). Using CloudConnexa™, businesses can quickly deploy and manage a secure overlay network that connects all of their applications, private networks, workforce, and IoT/IIoT devices without owning and operating a multitude of complex, hard-to-scale security and data networking gear. CloudConnexa™ can be accessed from more than 30 worldwide locations and uses patent-pending technologies to create a full-mesh network topology for improved performance and routing to private applications—hosted on multiple connected networks—simply by using the application name (for example, app.mycompany.com).
- OpenVPN Access Server: This self-hosted VPN solution for remote access and site-to-site networking provides granular access control and supports SAML, RADIUS, LDAP, and PAM for user authentication. It can be deployed as a cluster to provide active/active redundancy and for operating at high scale.
OpenVPN Connect can also be used to connect to any server or service compatible with OpenVPN protocol or running the open source Community edition.
HOW TO USE OPENVPN CONNECT?
OpenVPN Connect receives configuration information for the VPN server using a “connection profile” file. It can be imported into the app using a file with a .ovpn file extension or a website URL. The file or website URL and user credentials are provided by the VPN service administrator.
- Temporarily ignoring unsupported options in a profile
- Fixed an issue on iOS 17 where the connection would drop during sleep when 'Battery Saver' was enabled
Ratings and Reviews
Works great but be careful with update
I have been using this app to VPN into my ASUS router for about 8 months with no issues until today’s update of the app and the new profile changes. I could no longer connect using the profile I had been using and had to re-import the .ovpn file to overwrite the profile on my phone before I could connect again, a few of the options like save password no longer seem to be available on the profile page.
Update: Thanks to the developer for answering, the arrow to the right of the profile before you connect does allow you to save the password if you want
It would be great if they added optional Touch ID/Face ID authentication for getting into the app.
Developer Response ,
Hello, you should see "Save Password" option on Edit Profile screen (by pushing arrow button on the right side of profile name).
Do NOT Update
This was a generally stable and reliable app that would invariably and predictably time-out after 24 hrs. A simple reconnect is all it would take to reconnect for another 24 hrs. After the recent update, however, I am disconnected from my VPN multiple times per day and the connection (when it works) has resulted in a profound decrease in network speed. As an attorney, I rely on a VPN for nearly everything I do - which means that this failed update had seriously compromised my ability to do my job. I cannot understand and refuse to accept any excuse for why this update does not work. Heads should roll - that is how serious this is for those of us who have built our jobs around the ability to communicate through a VPN. I am now forced to abandon my VPN provider so that I can download a client that does not require openvpn. An inexcusable failure that no amount of blaming apple will excuse.
After seeing multiple updates have been issued since my review, I decided to update and give openvpn another try. I am VERY pleased to report that the previously described problems above appear to be resolved, although time will tell. At this point I am quite pleased with the quick work that was done to make this app usable once again and recommend updating this app to the current version.
Poor since version 3
This app was reliable. No more. Since the new graphical interface came, it acts so poorly. I often encounter issues when the app can’t connect to the VPN server at all. Mostly happens when I’ve turned off cellular data and using wifi, when I activate cellular again I’m unable to connect to the VPN server through cellular. Recently it also happens when I turn off airplane mode in the morning when I wake up, again can’t connect. I need to reboot my iPhone, sometimes even twice. When I check the logs it just freezes at some point after sending the tunnel encryption algorithms to be used. I check the same server on my laptop and it connects without issues. It doesn’t even matter if it’s on TCP 443 or UDP 1194.
The previous version used to work great for so many years, then suddenly this update came out, looks like just a change for the sake of changing.
The tunnel is disconnected few seconds after the phone screen is off. It’s annoying.
And with this new graphical interface the amount of info given on the screen has been reduced. We no longer see the amount of data sent or received live.
I use the app every single day for most of the time I am using the internet. It’s very, very disappointing.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- OPENVPN TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- 36.6 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © OpenVPN, Inc.