Map data issues are addressed at OpenStreetMaps.org. About bugs in the Organic Maps app, contact us.
Organic Maps is a GPS navigation app with privacy, for drivers, hikers, and cyclists. The app features navigation with privacy - no location tracking, no data collection, and no ads. Search, routing and navigation operates without a cell phone signal, ideal for travel on distant hiking trails or locations with poor connections. Organic Maps uses the crowd-sourced OpenStreetMap data with contributors from all over the globe. The project is community-driven, the code is open-source, and prioritizes community development and collaboration.
• No Cell Signal Required - Search & Route without a signal
• Efficient Battery Usage - Reduced battery drain
• Fast Search - Find locations quickly
At Organic Maps, we value privacy:
• No Location Tracking
• No Data Collection
• No Ads
• New OpenStreetMap data as of November 13, 2023
• It is possible to zoom in deeper now and see more POIs in dense areas
• Outdoors map style preview (please read on to know how to activate it)
• Removed bottom tab bar to show more map on the screen
• Removed the unnecessary "route" button on the map (tap or long-tap a place on the map or select a search result to build a route using the "Route To" button instead)
• Highlighted the Route To button and hinted the FAQ for new users
• Fixed CarPlay dark/light mode colors
• Fixed keyboard input on iPadOS 15+
• "Inertial" kinetic scroll improvements
• Removed max limit to search bookmarks
• Brands are displayed in the Place Page
• Don't route through access=emergency, military, agricultural, forestry
• Tuned ferry crossing estimations
• Improved cross-country and cross-region routing
• Improved residential routes
• Process platz-pl like strasse-str
• Improved address matching
• Improved search of brands
• Added flowerbeds, rental shops, bicycle rentals, motorcycle repairs, petting zoo, prison areas, compressed air
• Added nature reserves and military zones rendering to the car navigation mode
• Added Docklands Light Railway, Porto metro
• Display names of ski pistes
• Tuned/updated icons of fitness centre, yoga, theatre, artwork, statue, theme park, bbq, lighthouse, windmill, heliport & helipad, hunting stand, Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, paid & private versions of parkings and parking entrances, convenience / deli / farm / grocery / health_food shops, tobacco shop
• Better farmyard & garage landuse area fills
• Increased scrubs, alpine huts visibility
• Updated sanitary dump station icons and adjusted its priority
• Reduced visibility of cave entrances and improved the icon
• Increased visibility of standalone house numbers
• Reduced Tokyo subway visibility
• Removed minor road markers/shields cluttering the map in Estonia
• Fix colors of Estonia and Germany road markers / shields
• Increased visibilities of road markers / shields on tertiary and residential road
• Fixed "gaps" in some densely mapped lines
• Fixed "gaps" in the outlines of bridges and other compound lines
Outdoors map style preview:
• Tailored for out-of-the-city outdoor activities like hiking, backcountry cycling/MTB, 4x4, etc.
• Emphasizes paths/tracks, cliffs, railways, powerlines, rivers and streams, water sources, peaks, mountain saddles and passes, waterfalls, lighthouses, caves, viewpoints, campsites, huts, shelters, picnic sites, gates, stiles, fords, etc.
• Enable by typing `?olight` in the search field and return to the map; type `?light` to switch back to the main style
• Use `?odark` and `?dark` for a dark style
• Developers wanted to add a nice UI for style switching!
• Improved "avoid …" routing options wording
• Improved Arabic, Basque, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Korean, Marathi, Polish, Romanian, Slovak, Spanish, Sweden, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese translations
…and more smaller fixes and improvements, check https://omaps.org/news for details!
Ratings and Reviews
Maps Don’t Get Better Than This
Organic Maps scared me. Using a new maps app, especially one that you’ve only heard about from strangers on the internet, is a very terrifying experience. Will it hold up?
I put it to the test in an hour long drive, from one larger city to a metro area. I made it! While Apple Maps has more bells and whistles during the routing experience, Organic Maps does the job. It makes up for it in many other areas, such as the fact that OpenStreetMap is an incredible project, and it’s great to put it to use; it allows us to download maps; and it’s far more beholden to its users than any closed-source app.
Amazing Offline Maps
Organic Maps is the best map application there is. It uses extremely accurate data from the OpenStreetMap community. It has turn by turn voice navigation that supports walking, cycling, driving, and public transportation networks in various regions. The driving time estimates are accurate thanks to speed limit data. There is also offline Wikipedia data for some POI making it easy to plan a trip with no cellular service.
Love the privacy aspect, but maps are dated
I’ve been on a privacy kick recently trying to limit myself from big tech tracking everything. There aren’t too many FOSS options for iOS, but this app was on a list so I figured I’d try it.
While I absolutely love the offline capabilities and being open source, the maps are severely outdated for my area. My street name is wrong, as well as the street for the house I grew up in. I assume they are pre 911 addresses. Kinda hard to use the app if ALL addresses are that old.
My child’s dance studio is moving to another building. The address doesn’t even exist in this app. Unfortunately I can’t make use of it.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your sincere review, and we hope you enjoy using FOSS products. The reason for the poor quality of map data in your location is the low popularity of OpenStreetMap (our map data source) in your region. OpenStreetMap.org is a collaborative tool where everyone can update the map. In some areas, map data quality provided by OSM is even better than what other popular map services offer. Unfortunately, in your location, as we can see from your review, it is far from being good enough now. We hope this will change significantly when more people learn about OpenStreetMap and start contributing to it.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Organic Maps OU
- 131.8 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Arabic, Basque, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2021-2023 Organic Maps OÜ