Oriental Strings is a professional sound module app for oriental keyboard players and for musicians who simply want to resemble the typical sound of the Orient and Middle East in their songs. Connect an external MIDI keyboard to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch by using Bluetooth MIDI or by using the Apple USB camera adapter or another adapter supported by Apple, or launch Oriental Strings as virtual instrument directly within your favourite DAW app on your iOS device!¹
Watch and listen to the demo video on our product website!
This app supports "Audio Unit", "Audiobus" and Apple's "Inter-App Audio" System for audio & MIDI connections from/to other audio apps, as well as Bluetooth LE MIDI !
The sounds of Oriental Strings were exclusively recorded with players who are professionally dedicated to oriental style of music. Typical string instrument sounds for the Arabian genre are covered by this app. Besides rather exotic instruments like the Chinese erhu, typical western string instruments were used as well, but since the players of the recording sessions are focused on oriental music, those western instruments sound completely different than you might be used to from western orchestra players.
The sounds of this app were once again created by Kurt Ader, winner of the NAMM 2015 "Best Sound Designer of the Year" award.
32 Sounds are included with this App:
• Chinese Erhu 1 - 3
• Chinese Erhu Trill
• Turkish Strings 1 - 4
• Arabian Strings 1 - 3
• Tremolo Strings 1 - 5
• Spiccato Strings
• Oriental Spiccato Strings
• Oriental String Quartet 1 - 3
• Oriental Staccato Strings
• Arabian Solo Strings 1 - 3
• String Quartet
• Oriental String Ensemble 1 - 5
• Slow Oriental Strings
There is no in-app purchase in this app. So all sounds and all app features are immediately available to you as one buy.
• Sounds based on high quality stereo sample set.
• Master Tune & Scale Tuning (including factory presets for common Arabian & Turkish scales).
• Low latency disk streaming.
• Configurable audio latency down to 1 ms.
• Polyphony up to several hundred stereo voices.²
• Integrated effects with 18 presets.
• 16 parts.
• App States: Save app's entire state as user presets.
• MIDI velocity response curve editor to fine tune the feeling of your MIDI keyboard.
• App can keep running in the background, so you can play on your keyboard while e.g. using Safari or another app to display scores or surfing the Internet.
• Audio Unit plugin version of this app, to be used as virtual instrument directly within third-party multi-track DAW apps.
• Audiobus support.
• Supports Apple's "IAA" system for audio & MIDI streaming between other apps.
• Virtual on-screen piano keyboard with velocity support, scalable & scrollable.
MIDI Player / Recorder:
• Record, save and load your songs in standard MIDI file format.
• Share your songs easily as audio file.
• Unlimited amount of tracks.
• Configurable target MIDI channel per track.
• Unlimited recording and playback length.
• Open MIDI (.mid) files directly from other apps (i.e. from Safari, Mail).
• Download or upload MIDI files with iTunes.
• Load your favorite songs as MIDI files from the Internet, and watch at the virtual keyboard how to play it.
• Use the "Tempo Zoom" dial knob to i.e. slow down playback at any time and learn your favorite songs more easily.
¹ For more information about adapters and connecting external MIDI keyboards: https://doc.crudebyte.com/iOS/External_MIDI_devices/
² Some sounds are using several voices per note. Polyphony depends on the exact device model being used. You find a polyphony table on our product website.
This update provides the following corrections and improvements:
• Fixes noise at beginning of new notes that happened under rare situations.
• Fixes crash on certain MIDI messages (stand-alone app and Audio Unit).
• Audiobus: Fixes connection problem with Audiobus on iOS 14 and higher (see NOTE below).¹
• Audiobus: If session is restored from Audiobus, don’t ask the same question dialog again whether IAA MIDI or IAA MIDI + CoreMIDI shall be used.
• Audio Unit UI: Fixes sound selection list from being cropped if AU UI height inside AU host app was rather small.
• MIDI recorder: Fixes crash on 2nd iOS “Open with …” request for user imported MIDI files.
• MIDI recorder: Supports now MIDI files with “.midi” file extension (instead of being limited to only “.mid”).
• Sound selection: Fixes readability issue of placeholder text regarding search filter options if iOS was not running in dark mode.
• Volume knob: Shows now that MIDI CC#7 is associated with this control.
¹ NOTE: This version asks you for permission to access the local network, which is required for Audiobus to work on iOS 14 and higher. If you are not using Audiobus you can safely ignore or decline this permission request. You can also grant and revoke this permission under iOS Settings -> “Privacy” -> “Local Network” at any time.
Ratings and Reviews
This little library is bomb. It works great on its own. If you’re using iSymphonic. The attack’s from this library can take the legato patches in iSymphonic and give you a whole new set of patches for iSymphonic. Think of this as another expansion for iSymphonic and you’ll be glad you did. And it completes the thing I feel is missing in iSymphonic: edgier attacks for some of the patches. Found em. And on its own. This library is KILLER. amazing quality. Accurate as heck to the genre it’s nAiling.
It's not just limited to exotic tonalities. It is also great for solid "English strings" (George Martin, Glyn Johns, Paul Buckmaster, etc...)
Incredibly versatile and worth every penny.
The strings sounds don’t sound like real instruments. It’s not even close.
I’m sorry guys but these strings don’t sound even close to the real thing. Please try to get some decent sounding string in there. Otherwise this is great. I feel kind of cheated. The garage band strings sound way better than these ones that I just bought.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Christian Schoenebeck d/b/a Crudebyte
- 2 GB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2014-2021 Crudebyte & KApro Kurt Ader Productions
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.