StarSeek 5 is much more than the basic astronomy app, and this is its best version yet! It's a full-featured space simulator and guide to the night sky, complete with wireless telescope control capability (with the addition of Orion’s StarSeek Wi-Fi Telescope Control Module, sold separately). StarSeek 5 has terrific new features and functionality compared to StarSeek 4, including:
1) Complete support for iOS 9.
2) Support for Apple Watch! Everything you need to know about the Sun, Moon, Planets, and more on your wrist, at a glance.
3) New Tonight at a Glance view: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
4) Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
5) Completely new sound effects, and a new look to the sky and horizon. Better transitions between portrait and landscape mode.
6) Object lists in the Search menu now show thumbnail images. New options in Advanced Search.
7) Updated object descriptions, now with images in-line. Every object now has a description!
8) A new Share button lets you share your sky by email, text, or social media.
9) Reworked Time Flow controls. Set the date and time directly from the main toolbar. Run time 1000x faster than reality.
10) iCloud or Google sync for your settings and observing lists. Change them on one device, and synchronize your changes across all your iOS devices.
11) An online repository of observing lists from experienced amateur astronomers. A "tour mode" that guides you through objects in each list!
12) An improved deep-sky database with Abell and Hickson galaxy clusters, and globular clusters in M31.
13) A handy Digitized Sky Survey viewer that lets you download images from the DSS.
14) Improved multi-star alignment for telescopes with digital setting circles. Add Barlows and Focal Reducers to your equipment list!
If you haven't used StarSeek before, here's what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up and StarSeek will find and identify stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events with Time Flow.
• Search from our extensive database, and follow the arrow to objects in the sky. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn the history, mythology, and science of astronomy. Browse over 1,500 object descriptions and astronomical images. Explore NASA space missions. Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek for all major sky events every day!
• Control your GoTo or computerized push-to telescope wirelessly from your iPhone or iPad! What a difference compared to the typical two-line, text-only telescope hand controller!
• Plan observing sessions with Observing Lists, log your observations, and share with friends!
All this is built into StarSeek 5 – no need for an Internet connection.
• 2.5 million stars; 31,000 deep sky objects including the entire NGC/IC catalog; all major planets and moons; over 4,000 updateable asteroids, comets, and satellites including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Night Vision mode – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Time Flow – Follow the motion of sky objects as days, months, and years are compressed into a few seconds.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name. Results are sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, and more!
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe through our solar system!
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from six beautiful built-in vistas, or customize your own!
1) Fix for binary stars with invalid semimajor axes now (e.g., 40 Draconis). Updated deep sky database with 2016 NGC-IC, PGC; fixes for duplicate NGC labels on galaxies.
2) Updated LibPNG from 1.5.5 to 1.6.19 to address security vulnerability warning.
3) Fixed cosmetic bug in Time Flow panel when the date was "BC".
4) Can now set motor encoder steps per rev for SiTech telescopes with motorized controllers.
5) Improved 3D models of moons Amalthea and Hyperion; and ISS, Juno, Dragon, and Soyuz spacecraft.
6) Fix problem with Google Drive sync.
7) Telescope FOV indicator is now oriented according to scope mount type if displayed when not connected to a telescope.
Ratings and Reviews
Train Room Gary
My favorite Astronomy App / no mater where you are on planet earth, you will be able to track your favorite planet or stars. Also gives the best targets each day with it’s location and history. I do recommend this App / Also has a telescope Go-To feature / Hope this helps. have clear sky’s - Gary
Help does not help
Attempted to use help files, some opened and others jumped out of the program to iPad screen. Version 3 worked much better. Gyro system also jumps and will not stay steady.
- Optronic Technologies, Inc
- 562.6 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2016 Simulation Curriculum Corp.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.