Outline – intuitive and convenient digital notebook for offline and online use. OneNote compatible & Office 365 powered.
Capture notes at any spot on a page and draggable around. Organize notes in the world's most natural hierarchy. Store notes in your local file system, and synced across devices with your favorite cloud.
Powered with import from Evernote and Circus Ponies.
- Give your OneNote notes a new start beyond OneDrive or SharePoint
- Export to OneNote, just in case
- Go beyond import/export and do a real time collaboration on notes with colleagues who use OneNote (your Mac and their PCs)
- Choose where you want to store your notes: Dropbox, iCloud, WebDAV, Box, or OneDrive
- Consider a no-cloud option too: some notes need offline and cloud-free privacy
- Even more options: SharePoint, OneDrive for Business / Office 365
- Find everything a note needs by the hand: text, lists, tables, images, checkboxes, hyperlinks, and more
- Put that stuff anywhere in a note and then move around / re-size / edit it all, the way you like
- Keep notes structured in a natural hierarchy of pages, sections, and notebooks
- Access a note fast via recents, search, and note links
- Manage font size and color, apply styles and highlighting
- Attach files and insert printouts, to collect documents in one place
- From OneNote
- From Circus Ponies
- From Evernote
Whether it is your meeting minutes, research, document annotations, ideas, or even a book, give those a chance to go beyond the limits.
Your notes are essential and do matter more than formats, storage, platforms, or even the app for note-taking.
"Outline features a full complement of tools to construct even the most complicated notes" - Mac|Life.
"I like Outline's clean user interface" – iMore.
"Outline has a comfortable Mac look and feel" - Mac Appstorm.
Featured in the "Alternatives to Evernote" collection on Product Hunt: producthunt.com/e/alternatives-to-evernote
Learn more about beyond-the-platform note-taking experience: check out fb.com/outlineapp
This version contains the following bug fixes:
- Inks from OneNote for iPad aren't visible in Outline
- Restored section unlock with FaceID/TouchID
- First symbol lost when you start typing after selection
- Accented symbols inserted incorrectly when copy from Safari
- Missing data when copy indented text with level >2 and paste as plain text
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great App only missing 2 things for me to make it Awesome
This app is great, it really is. It will replace your OneNote app and give you back the power to save your notes where ever you want, webdav, icloud, dropbox, etc. Really great to have this instead of syncing everything to the cloud I can save the notes locally if I wish or to the network server at the office. The only two things I have an issue with is that you cannot set a custom font and size when you start a note, i have to manually change the font size, bold everytime, you also cant pick the type of font you want to use. Come on that should have been an option from the begining. The other one is that I cannot mark a note as a favorite so it shows up like in most used section or favorites section.
Other than the things I mentioned this app is really good and if you dont want to use the cloud and want more control of your data but like OneNote this is the app for you. Check it out, on their website they give you a free 14 day trial at least you can try it and decide if you want it. I tried for a few days and bought it.
Nice Features - Kind of Quirky
Within the app, you can’t move a section group to a different notebook. However, going into the folder system and dragging the specific “section group” - folder group into a new notebook works. Kind of odd. If you want to close a notebook that is stored in iCloud, you have to basically “Move to Trash” for the notebook. That is a scary warning, because all you want to do is close it. Reading the fine print however, states that "deleted cloud notebooks can no longer be accessed in t he app but remain in the cloud”. Isn’t that the same as “CLOSING” a notebook. It’s just the way it is stated that creates a little anxiety.
A few quirky things, but essentially the best alternative to using OneNote (Office365) for Macs, which will only store URLs on your OneDrive, so the notebooks can’t be backed up. Overall a nice basic OneNote without all the bells and whistles that OneNote has and that I don’t use anyway.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback!
Great note taking app! I can finally live without Circus Ponies Notebook
Ever since Circus Ponies Notebook closed it’s doors, my workflow hasn’t quite been the same. While Outline is still missing some of the features that made CPN stand out, it’s the closest thing I have found that fits into how I work best, and has the added bonus of MS OneNote integration and a mobile app. I’ve tried countless note taking solutions since the death of CPN, and this is simply the best solution for note taking that I’ve found that fits in with how I work.
I love the way Outline helps organize my notes, and with it’s integration with OneNote, I find myself using Outline to manage my work notes in OneNote. OneNote simply doesn’t allow for the level of complexity that I want with nested note pages, where Outline is a much more elegant solution when it comes to organization.
The search function is only OK at this time. It will bring me to the page, but many of my note pages are very long, so I have to hunt through the page for specific results. The Multi-Dex search from Notebook this is not, but it has seen some improvements since I’ve started using this as my primary note taking app.
One other feature I miss from CPN is the ability to throw tabs onto pages to get back to them quickly. It was the equivalent of putting a post-it note in a physical notebook that you could use to easily bookmark a page you need to get back to frequently.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.