Indispensable information organization tool for knowledge workers.
Outlinely is the home for all your notes, thoughts, ideas and todos. It’s an elegant outliner and writing tool, with a robust document management system.
Outlinely provides the best environment for ideas and insights. Packed with great features: Search & Navigate, Focus mode, Typewriter scrolling, Word counting. Outlinely is the ultimate solution for knowledge workers.
Library and Folders
- Each document is an outline.
- Organize documents into Folders & Subfolders.
- Access documents from anywhere with iCloud.
- Bookmark a document and access them quickly from the Favorited folder.
- Embedded link to other documents in Library.
Search & Navigate
- Search for any word in the entire library with Open Quickly.
- Search and go to any topic instantly with Search & Navigate.
- Organize text into hierachical structure.
- Expand to reveal detail, collapse to hide detail.
- Zoom to any item (hoisting).
- Drag & Drop to reorder items.
- Add notes and links.
- Insert images.
- Make checklist, checkboxes, completed status.
- Add formatting : Bold, italic, size, highlighted, strike-through.
Versatile writing tool
- It’s almost magical that Outlinely is both an outliner and a writing tool.
- Keyboard navigation, copy/paste, search/replace, undo/redo.
- Markdown syntax highlighting.
- Focus mode.
- Typewriter mode.
- Word count, character count.
- Add tags to your topics.
- Filter outlines with a single click.
- Auto-complete when using previous tags.
- Light/Dark/Sepia and many other beautiful themes.
- Create your own custom theme.
- Or you can import theme from Outlinely’s Theme Gallery.
- Edit OPML files directly (Outline Processor Markup Language).
- Export your outline to: OPML, PDF, Microsoft Word Document, RTF, HTML, Markdown, and plain-text formats.
- Full Screen mode
- Shortcut keys
- Paragraph Numbers
- X-Callback-URL support
- Emoji support
We put our best efforts into constantly improving Outlinely and your feedback is highly appreciated. You can contact us at email@example.com or find us @outlinely on Twitter. We’d love to hear from you!
- Add support for macOS Big Sur
- Bug Fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Pretty great, glad it's being maintained, just needs to fix a few bugs
I was scared that this might not be updated again, but was happy to see some recent updates.
Unfortunately, the new update introduced a bug. When my cursor is at the bottom of a hierarchy, if I start typing, the scroll jumps around so that my text is now at the top of the screen, not even visible, disrupting the flow.
I'll definitely modify this review once the bug is fixed and bump it up to 5 stars. And if the maintainer needs any help, I create iOS apps, I'd be happy to help!
Very good outliner with an uncertain future
I was looking for an outliner, and this is the best I found. Super intuitive to use most of the time (see below), the x-callback urls help me integrate Outlinely with other parts of my workflow, great editing and export features, and nice themes (and custom themes!).
There are some cons that brought the rating down a few stars --
Keyboard shortcuts don't work as expected, or at all. New files created with Command-N are added to the Inbox, not the current folder. My workflow doesn't involve using an inbox, it would be great if Outlinely detected the folder I was in and added it there instead of the inbox. I wish I could use Command-comma shortcut to open preferences, like other apps. Also, it'd be great if the Delete key (or Command-Delete) actually deleted a selected note - users currently have to use the right click menu to remove files. All of these issues make it a bit difficult to incorporate Outlinely in my workflow alongside other applications that use these default shortcuts.
Need customization options for the items in the left sidebar. I will never use Favorites, All, Inbox or iCloud, but I can't get rid of them. At least let me collapse the Library section so I can hide these items from view.
Outlinely hasn't been updated for about 1.5 years at the time of this review, and there is no indication that an update is coming. I would love to know what is planned for the future, if anything.
Please let us know!
Best for syncing with iOS
There are very few outliners that sync with a good native iOS app. If that is something you need, this is your best choice. For a while it seemed to be abandonware, but the developer has begun active development again and has been churning out steady incremental updates for some time now. Also, for those who don't like subscriptions, the iOS companion app offers a reasonable single-payment "lifetime subscription." Looking forward to seeing this app grow.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.