A powerful, simple, award-winning podcast player. Featured by the App Store as Editor's Choice and critically acclaimed by The Verge, TechCrunch, 9to5Mac, AppAdvice, and more.
And there's no big company or VC funding here — Overcast is the only major podcast app written by a single person.
The Verge: “The best podcast app for the iPhone”
9to5Mac: "Overcast is the best podcast app that I’ve ever used”
AppAdvice: "Our favorite podcast client"
Six Colors: "My podcast player of choice"
The Sweet Setup: “Overcast is our favorite”
Cult of Mac: “It’s the best podcast app out there”
TIME: “Overcast lives up to its lofty claims”
iMore: "My personal favorite"
TechCrunch: “There is no reason why you should still be using the Podcasts app over Overcast”
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast app with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Smart Speed saves time without distorting the audio or sounding unnatural.
- Voice Boost makes every podcast the same volume with a broadcast-quality remastering engine.
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get personalized recommendations.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Sleep timer automatically stops playback after any time interval you set.
- Apple Watch app with standalone playback and cellular streaming.
- CarPlay support.
And Overcast has world-class privacy, with no third-party analytics, ad services, or tracking code.
Overcast is funded by ads that promote other podcasts. If you choose to purchase Overcast Premium to hide these ads, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Current price for Overcast Premium is $9.99 USD per year, and may vary from country to country.
Proudly made in New York.
- Fixed playback of Anchor-hosted podcasts
- Minor design tweaks (MUCH more coming soon!), including many improved icons throughout the app
- Now exclusively uses the system font for practicality, modern design priorities, and broader world-language support. I bid a very fond farewell to the excellent Concourse font that served us well for many years.
Ratings and Reviews
Overcast really loves podcasts. You can tell. Everything here has clearly been the result of a lot of podcast listening, and the result is an app that does everything you want to do without unnecessary features or unnecessary fuss.
Nice alternative to Apple’s.
I’ve been well pleased so far. It isn’t always the most intuitive, but I’ve eventually figured out how to achieve most everything I’ve wanted to. The benefits of adding a show via RSS have become immediately clear. Being a subscriber to a show and getting early access episodes and bonus material right in my podcast manager makes it so easy to stay up with all my shows. The clip function has made it so much more effective to get friends interested in shows than years of recommending downloads ever did.
The one thing that sticks out at me the most: sometimes I want to keep an episode for a while so I can go back and reference it later, however, although the episodes are marked as “played” the show doesn’t drop down to the “Played Podcasts” section. That doesn’t seem to happen until the episodes are deleted out of the library. This makes it difficult to know when a new episode is available; this show doesn’t release episodes according to a schedule, I have to randomly check to see if there’s anything new in the episode list. It feels nitpicky but it’s important to me. I listen to a lot of podcasts and I listen while I’m working. The less amount of time I have to spend poking around in menus, the better.
Continuous Play? - UPDATED
EDIT - still couldn’t get Apple Podcast to work so I stuck with this awhile. I found out where continuous play is, and you have to add episodes to allow them to play or something? Still believe the app is not intuitive, and could really benefit from a touch-screen walkthrough when first installed and opened. It’s kind of ridiculous that this doesn’t already exist, given the amount of features this app seems to have. Robust application with some good features, but those features are lost to users without some kind of explainer.
Original: I’m playing catch-up on a podcast I just started listening to that has been around for two years, so there is a lot of content to get through. I used to listen to it on Apple Podcasts, but for whatever reason that app has stopped working on my phone, and after looking at reviews for Overwatch I thought I’d give this a try. If Continuous Play exists, it’s not intuitive, nor does the app seem to have a feature where it will automatically pick up where the listener left off in a show. As soon as I downloaded the app I went to Settings and toggled ‘Continuous Play’ on, but it isn’t doing anything. I’ve tried playing the podcast from the episodes pages, creating playlists (the Smart Playlist is a joke), nothing works. The app just stops after it plays whatever episode your selected. Will be troubleshooting the issues with Apple Podcast and deleting this app immediately.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Overcast Radio, LLC
- 10.7 MB
- Requires iOS 14.5 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.5 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.5 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.3 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2014–2022 Overcast Radio, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Overcast Premium $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.