If you are anything like me, sometimes you need to follow a line of text in a book with a bookmark or index card. Sometimes, you can even find a colored overlay to help you keep your focus while reading.
Try to use a bookmark on your monitor and it's awkward. Until now. Overlays! displays a translucent bar on your screen that's controlled by the mouse.
Use to help with reading, or sometimes to help following large tables and lists of data. Battle the wall of text, eyestrain and distractions with this on screen overlay to help you keep your place!
- Keep your place in huge walls of text, tables and lists.
- Pick the color, height and transparency that helps you read better.
- Use a lightly colored overlay, or a completely solid line to help you keep focused. Pick what works for you!
- Easily access preferences from the menu bar icon.
- Works in full screen applications, and even over virtual machines.
- Multiple Monitor support
- Fixed offset slider showing incorrect setting
- Added activate/deactivate in menu
Ratings and Reviews
Intereting idea, needs more functions, though
I really like the idea of using a faint overlay to help you focus on reading — especially when there is a large chunk of text. So I downloaded this app as soon as I saw it in App Store.
Here’re some pros and cons after 10 minutes of using (will update later):
- Nice idea and it actually works well in help me focusing.
- Customizable color and opacity of the overlay, height of the overlay and its distance from the cursor.
- Easily accessible from the menu bar.
- No shortcut available, especially for a quick turn-on/-off of the overlay. The truth is, there are a lot of distractions and I am always quickly switching between reading and doing something else (for which an overlay is not needed). It will be nice to have a quick switch to turn the overlay off and on.
- The “distance from mouse” option in the preference panel is not very intuitive, although you can easily get a hang of it after a few trial and error.
- [Personal pet peeve and this does not really affect the rating I swear] You cannot change the color of the menu bar icon from a red-yellow-green one to a black-and-white one. Some other apps offer this option (e.g., Dropbox), and I just like my menu bar to be all black and white.
In general, good app with a nice idea behind it.
Can't Cover Whole Screen, Won't Stay Put
It does one thing:
It displays a narrow horizontal overlay, for people who find that helps them read.
It can't display a full-screen overlay, for people who find that would help us read.
It won't stay put. It moves with the mouse cursor, so it doesn't help me keep my place, it hurts my eyes, and it doesn't help me avoid hurting my eyes.
same at the other review
Now how do I close it and trash?!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.