Grab any text on the screen, convert images or scans to searchable PDFs, open QR-coded URLs, integrate via CLI, access with Finder Extensions and more!
OwlOCR allows grabbing a part of the screen and having any text in that area be instantaneously recognized and copied to clipboard. Additionally, the application supports recognizing text from PDF files, images and converting the contents to plain text. All conversion is done securely on-device - none of your images or files are sent to third-party services in the cloud.
The output of OwlOCR is plain text that you may copy and then paste to your target use or application. Exporting a PDF file with the text recognition results as an invisible text layer is also supported.
- Grab a screen area for instant OCR and result copied to clipboard
- High quality text recognition performed on-device securely
- Run text recognition page-by-page or for a directory or a group of files
- Take a photo or scan of document with your iPhone or iPad device (please note requirements: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209037)
- Export searchable PDF files
- Create searchable PDF, extract text to clipboard or plain text right from Finder using OwlOCR Finder Extensions
- Scan barcodes and QR and automatically open links in browser (NEW!)
- Integrate your favourite tools to OwlOCR CLI (NEW!)
- Customize OwlOCR to behave as a menu bar- or dock app
- Wrap naturally or as in input
- Custom dictionary for industry-specific lingo
- Choose line spacing 1.0-4.0
- Automatically start on MacOS launch (option)
- Input filetypes supported: PDF, GIF, PNG, JPEG, JPG.
- Keyboard shortcut Cmd + F1 (configurable) for a single screen area OCR even when OwlOCR is in the background
- Keyboard shortcut Cmd + F2 (configurable) for multiple screen area captures
- macOS Catalina or newer required
- Language support running under MacOS 11.0: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese.
- Language support under MacOS 10.15 limited to English only.
- Dark Mode supported, B&W/Color options for Menu Bar icon
- Runs natively on Apple M1 and Intel processors
- 3 week free trial automatically starting upon installation (no sign-up required)
- After trial expiration, the Pro mode can purchased as a lifetime license
Features exclusively in Pro mode:
- Batch text recognition for multipage PDFs and multiple documents in parallel
- Use Finder Quick Actions on multiple files
- Take up to 20 screenshots with multi-screenshot feature
- Run post-process rules automatically
- Command line support for integrations
Fix issues with Finder extensions that could cause them to hang.
Apologies to all users for the inconvenience of the issues as of late and thank you very much to those that have sent kind emails about them. Issues are being fixed as soon as possible to ensure OwlOCR provides a robust, performant and accurate operation for all users.
Ratings and Reviews
I Love this app.
I have been looking for an app that allows me to digitise my notes and this app is wonderful at it. I am able to create searchable pdfs from my handwritten notes and I love that we have the option of either copying to the clipboard to exporting as a pdf. Not to mention the developer is incredibly kind and responsive. This is a suprisingly underserved market for a very common use case and this app delivers. Thanks, Tommi
Developer Response ,
Thank you shahrviral for all our correspondence offline and also for taking a moment to leave this review! Definitely appreciate it a lot!
Have been looking for this app for awhile. Every feature highlighted on the website was important for me -- fast, on-device, and accurate. As another reviewer remarks, this is surprisingly hard to find! So far it has 100% accuracy for me extracting text from images. Definitely plan to upgrade to the Pro version.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and great to hear the app is working well for you! As an independent developer there is nothing more gratifying than a happy customer. 🙏
I've had good results so far!
Using this OCR for a project and after two test pages have ended up with an error rate averaging six percent, which is quite good in my opinion! I'll definitely be using it more. The developer seems very responsive, and the logo's cute, which is also a plus. :)
Developer Response ,
Super stuff! Thanks a ton for taking the time to leave a review, glad it's working for you!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Tommi Urtti
- 17 MB
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Tommi Urtti
- In-App Purchases
- OwlOCR Pro - Lifetime License $13.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.