Oxford Dictionary of English with more than 150 years of research behind it, is globally accepted as one of the highest authorities in the study and reference of the English language. Regarded as one of the flagship products in the Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, it features advanced search and learning tools, as well as a smartly designed user interface, making it the best iOS app for learning English, building up vocabulary and use in education.
RICH CONTENT FROM THE AUTHORITY ON THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
• The latest 2020 word database from Oxford University Press
• 350,000 words, phrases and meanings
• More than 75,000 audio pronunciations*
• Special Topics reference content – easily look up topic-specific content
• Word-of-the-day – learn a new word, every day
USER FRIENDLY APP FEATURES AND INTERFACE
• Colourful Themes – transform your learning experience with a comfortable visual layout
• Favorites list - create custom folders with lists of words
• Recent list – review already looked-up words
• Word sharing - easily share a new word or definition you have just learned
• Home page – an intuitive start your journey into the English language
ADVANCED SEARCH OPTIONS
• Search autocomplete - displays predictions as you type
• Keyword lookup - search within compound words and phrases
• Camera search - look up words in the camera viewfinder
• Voice search - find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled
• Wild card search – use '*' or '?' to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
GET THE MOST WITH PREMIUM
Our premium app features unlock the full potential of the world’s best dictionary by providing you with the following:
• Audio pronunciation – learn words faster, when you hear their pronunciations. Available for more than 75,000 entries
• Offline mode - access the wealth of the word database anywhere, anytime - no data or internet connection is required
• Unrestricted use – no limits on how many words you lookup
• Regular content updates – receive updates to the word database, as soon as it is available from the Oxford University Press
• Priority support – receive an answer within 24 hours for any app-related support issue
• No advertising – enjoy an ad-free learning experience with no interruptions and distractions
PRICING & SUBSCRIPTIONS
Oxford Dictionary of English offers the following auto-renewable subscriptions:
• Annual subscription for $19.99 per year
• Monthly subscription for $2.99 per month with a special first month price of $0.99
• The price of each subscription corresponds to the same price segment, which is set in the "Apple's App Store Matrix" for other currencies
• Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period
• You can cancel a subscription anytime by turning off auto-renewal through your iTunes account settings. This must be done 24 hours before the end of a subscription period to avoid being charged. The cancellation will take effect the day after the last day of the current subscription period, and you will be downgraded to the free service
* This is a premium feature
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Oxford comes to you.
I've always regarded the OED as the be all and end all of English language dictionaries, therefore it has been my favourite for as long as I can remember, it may have been the fact that you need a magnifying glass to read the print in the two volumes of the standard print edition and that one was included in a little drawer in the top of the case! Of course, how many people do you know that have a favourite dictionary? Yes, I'm a giant geek/nerd. 🤓
Anyway, this app is as close as you can get to owning the physical version of the dictionary. It has all of the wonderful little details and assists that the print version has, of course, without the magnifier, though you can use the triple-tap option on your iPhone to magnify the entry if you need it.
The app is a bit on the pricey side, especially if you opt in on the translator add-on, but, as with the print version, the Oxford English Dictionary is worth whatever you spend on it. I love that I can look up obscure or unusual words and the OED has them listed! I truly loathe trying to locate the definition of a word that I've come across in my current novel and it's unavailable!! It then becomes a quest to locate the true definition, if not the etymological origins, of a particular word. Being someone who loves and collects words, the OED is the perfect resource for someone like me!😁 I think that the OED app is worth every cent that one decides to put into it.
So, what do I say? Splurge!!🤑
Product great, pricing deceptive
The dictionary is superior. However, the distributor, Mobisystems, seem to expect payment for the “premium” version on each iOS device on which it’s installed by the same account holder. That’s a non-starter. Until they change this deceptive practice (they mention it nowhere, and “restore purchase” functionality only works on the “original” device) and end their extortionate price levels, I’ll use it on the one device and not deal with it further. Caveat emptor. You cannot pay once and use the app on both an iPad and an iPhone.
I have changed the rating to 4 stars, because there is still some trouble getting the app to restore purchases on additional devices. It required deleting the unresponsive download and a new download and installation.
Also, to be fair, the developer did respond to my original derogatory review by email, which sat unread on an unused server for six weeks. Their instructions for restoration, clearly well-intended, were not helpful. I had to fiddle further on my own. On the basis of the app itself and the product, this deserves a 5-star rating. An app that carries the brand “Oxford” however should not be flawed in terms of fulfillment in this way, I believe. I misjudged initially. There is no deception.
OED’ Word of the Day Needs Complexity
Might you consider upgrading this “word of the day” automatic feature? Granted, I acknowledge the disclaimer that the word on every given day is randomly generated. That, however, is why the user can’t adjust it, not a fact that makes it impervious to the developer modifying the software.
The problem as I see it is simply, if you will, that the words are too simple. My experience with such novelties is that they highlight words not usually found in common usage, in order to expand one’s vocabulary. Your app, on the other hand, serves up a daily dose of hopelessly commonplace nouns and verbs; for example, “rodeo” and “nibble”, respectively, as two recent offerings. As such, the feature is uninformative at best and, unless one shuts down the notifications entirely, a nuisance.
The distinguished OED should expand the mind and the vocabulary of the educated user, not cater to popularity in pursuing the least common denominator among the crowd. Please consider this sensible upgrade to your software. Thank you for your attention to my concern, meant constructively of course as a longtime faithful adherent to the OED.
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 307.4 MB
Requires iOS 11.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Oxford Dictionary of English $9.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English $4.99
- Monthly Subscription ODE $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.