The 15 biggest Oxford dictionaries at your fingertips
Powered by Oxford Languages, Oxford Dictionary is widely regarded as one of the highest authorities in the study and reference of languages today. Easily switch and navigate between the 15 biggest Oxford dictionaries along with advanced search and learning tools.
Oxford Dictionary of English & Thesaurus
New Oxford American Dictionary & Thesaurus
Oxford Hachette French Dictionary
Oxford German Dictionary
Oxford Spanish Dictionary
Oxford Russian Dictionary
Oxford Chinese Dictionary
Oxford Paravia Italian Dictionary
Oxford Hindi Dictionary
Oxford English Urdu Dictionary
Oxford Essential Portuguese Dictionary
Oxford Japanese Mini Dictionary
Oxford Greek Mini Dictionary
Oxford Softpress English Bulgarian Minidictionary
Concise Oxford-River Books English-Thai Dictionary
Oxford Dictionary is a valuable resource for anyone using a foreign language in an academic or professional context:
• Professionals actively using English
• Students preparing for ACT, SAT, IELTS or TOEFL exams
As well as anyone else who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary at work or at home.
RICH CONTENT FROM THE AUTHORITY ON THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
• The latest 2023 word database from Oxford Languages
• Over 1 million words, phrases, and definitions
• Thesaurus - thousands of synonyms & antonyms that help you distinguish between similar words and use them correctly
• High-quality audio pronunciations
• Special Topics reference content – easily look up topic-specific content
• Word-of-the-day – learn a new word every day
USER-FRIENDLY APP FEATURES AND INTERFACE
• Favourites list - create custom folders with lists of words
• Recent list – review already looked-up words
• Word sharing - easily share a new word or definition you have just learned
• Home page – an intuitive start to your journey into the English language
• Auto-correction option - correct the spelling of any word, as you type it
• Dark Theme - Ease your eyes and continue learning even in low-light environments.
ADVANCED SEARCH OPTIONS
• Search autocomplete - displays predictions as you type
• Keyword lookup - search within compound words and phrases
• Camera search - look up words in the camera viewfinder
• Voice and fuzzy search - find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled
GET THE MOST WITH PREMIUM
Unlock the full potential of the world’s best dictionary:
• Unlimited dictionary use – unlimited access to the latest database with more than 1 million words, phrases and meanings
• Audio pronunciation – never mispronounce another word again!
• Offline and Fast mode - access the wealth of the word database anywhere, anytime - no data or internet connection is required
• Regular content updates – receive updates to the word database, as soon as it is available from Oxford Languages
• No advertising – enjoy an ad-free learning experience with no interruptions and distractions
PRICING & SUBSCRIPTIONS
Auto Renewable Subscription Terms:
• Subscriptions are billed weekly, monthly or annually at the rate selected depending on the subscription plan.
• The price of each subscription corresponds to the same price segment, which is set in the "Apple's App Store Matrix" for other currencies
• Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period
• You can cancel a subscription anytime by turning off auto-renewal through your App Store account settings. This must be done 24 hours before the end of a subscription period to avoid being charged. The cancellation will take effect the day after the last day of the current subscription period, and you will be downgraded to the free service
You can now create an account to join the Oxford Dictionary community and enjoy custom offers, tailored content, and more.
We update the app regularly so we can make it better for you. Get the latest version for all of the available features. This version includes several bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Oxford comes to you.
I've always regarded the OED as the be all and end all of English language dictionaries, therefore it has been my favourite for as long as I can remember, it may have been the fact that you need a magnifying glass to read the print in the two volumes of the standard print edition and that one was included in a little drawer in the top of the case! Of course, how many people do you know that have a favourite dictionary? Yes, I'm a giant geek/nerd. 🤓
Anyway, this app is as close as you can get to owning the physical version of the dictionary. It has all of the wonderful little details and assists that the print version has, of course, without the magnifier, though you can use the triple-tap option on your iPhone to magnify the entry if you need it.
The app is a bit on the pricey side, especially if you opt in on the translator add-on, but, as with the print version, the Oxford English Dictionary is worth whatever you spend on it. I love that I can look up obscure or unusual words and the OED has them listed! I truly loathe trying to locate the definition of a word that I've come across in my current novel and it's unavailable!! It then becomes a quest to locate the true definition, if not the etymological origins, of a particular word. Being someone who loves and collects words, the OED is the perfect resource for someone like me!😁 I think that the OED app is worth every cent that one decides to put into it.
So, what do I say? Splurge!!🤑
A quick note on the example sentences. It would be optimal if examples would be drawn from classic examples of good writing. Please watch your blatantly misogynistic language. For “mercenary”, the example sentence is “She’s nothing but a mercenary little gold-digger”. Seeing that the vast majority of professional “mercenaries” are men, it would be easy to come up with a sentence that does not viciously target women”. Perhaps we can refer to a business executive with mercenary tactics; there, it doesn’t even specify gender. I chose the Oxford English Dictionary (not American) because I wanted a definitive source for difficult English words. Interestingly, the strength of this dictionary is in colloquial American words. Although the name “Oxford” evokes the idea of old books and traditional education, if you read classic English literature by famous authors from the 18th or 19th centuries, you would be hard pressed to find definitions on this app. I found it terribly ironic that the Dictionary app or Google has more definitions than OED. I had the same problem with an American novel from the 20th century. It appears that the OED app is focused on modern newspapers and light fiction. I would pay handsomely for an app that has definitions for ALL non-technical English words; yes even the obsolete, archaic, and literary. I have no interest in reading blogs. I like to be able to read any book going as far back as Early Modern English, and find the definitions here.
I bought this primarily to replace my old Oxford Spanish Dictionary app, hoping to be able to use the English dictionaries as well as benefit from an updated application. The other dictionaries are all there but honestly, unless you speak or are learning multiple languages, there isn’t much need for all those other language dictionaries. The. Oxford Dictionary of English is most definitely not the OED. Not only is it abridged but all the quotes and archaic meanings are also not included. It’s really just another good but limited dictionary of English.
I am still very happy to have the Oxford Spanish Dictionary on my tablet. In my experience it is one of the best in terms of content and thoroughness, capturing the various nuances of usage in both English and Spanish.
The biggest disappointment with the new application is the slowness of the response. Not only do you have to go through the effort to pick your dictionary but with the foreign languages you then must pick the direction for translation and then type in your search word. Then the response from the dictionary is very slow, it can take several seconds for the application to respond with matching terms. The older interface was much faster. It appears that making the application all inclusive slowed everything down by an order of magnitude.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 95.5 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2024 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Subscription ODE $2.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English $9.99
- Oxford Dictionary Premium $39.99
- Oxford Dictionary Premium $39.99
- Annual Subscription ODE $19.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English $4.99
- Monthly Subscription $2.99
- ODE 2022 Yearly 20 NoTrial $19.99
- Oxford Dictionary Premium $4.99
- ODE Annual Subscription Promo $9.99