Explore the colorful side of the English language and have hours of fun browsing this fascinating and informative volume.
The Oxford Dictionary of English Idioms takes a look at over 6,000 idiomatic phrases and sayings found in the English language. These include a range of recently established idioms such as: "the elephant in the corner," "go figure," "step up to the plate," "a walk in the park," and "win ugly."
Inside you'll also find a great number of cross-references, hundreds of illustrative quotations, both modern and historical, to provide readers a clear idea of how the phrases can be used. Extra features offer fascinating additional information for many entries, drawn from the latest findings of Oxford's language monitoring program. Many entries include additional features which give more detailed background on the idiom in question.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• iOS 12 Support
• Beautifully integrated for iPhone XS
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Precise Writing Tool
Oxford English Idioms App is a highly useful Writing Tool for anyone seeking to understand or clarify the meaning of idiomatic expressions or those writers endeavoring to use idioms with precision and nuance. Great for the curious who want to explore and learn the origins of idiomatic expressions and their connections to other idioms.
Stop asking for a 5 star review!
I am giving a review because I am sick of being asked for a review every other time I open the app! It’s very unprofessional and you should stop this silly practice.
It’s a good App but too limited. It doesn’t include many important Idioms, besides the origins are too few. For a long time no updates.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.