The Oxford Hachette French Dictionary is acclaimed by language professionals over the world as the most complete and up-to-date dictionary of its kind. This latest version has even better coverage of the language, with improved treatment of acronyms and EU terminology, as well as thousands of new words in both English and French. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, the app features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF FRENCH BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest vocabulary (2018 edition) with hundreds of thousands of words, spanning everything from technology and medicine to colloquial slang.
• More material for students on their year abroad or anyone living in the French speaking world e.g. sample utility bills, bank statements, rent agreements.
• Based on real language statistical evidence, both written and spoken, it's the most comprehensive, reliable, and up-to-date dictionary available.
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current French at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• Updated 2018 database
• iOS 12 Support
• Beautifully integrated for iPhone XS
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Always at hand to help translate
I have used this app and similar ones from the same dictionary for years. It helps a lot to have a good dictionary in ones pocket. Searching is pretty straightforward and the translations are not exhaustive but do the trick 95% of the time. I greatly appreciate that it works off-line. Reason not to give 5 stars is mostly because it could be more exhaustive.
Good dictionary, annoying features
It’s a very good, very thorough French dictionary. However, it would be better if they wouldn’t keep prompting every so often to rate them with 5 stars (the prompt gets in the way of typing the word you want to look up, so you have to dismiss it before you can continue). Also, I have their English dictionary as well, and it would be nice to be able to look up the current word there, through a hyperlink, or at least to be able to cut and paste a word from the French dictionary into the English one (or to paste it anywhere else, for that matter). For example, a French word is sometimes defined with it’s English cognate. If I knew what the English equivalent meant, I wouldn’t be looking it up. So then I have to go out to the English dictionary to find out what the French word really means, in plain English.
a great reference
I've used various editions of this dictionary for years. While I was disappointed that my previous app no longer worked when Apple upgraded to iOS 11, I'm glad this app is again available. Needless to say, it's good to know it still works even when an internet connection is not available.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.