The Oxford Hachette French Dictionary is acclaimed by language professionals over the world as the most complete and up-to-date dictionary of its kind. This latest version has even better coverage of the language, with improved treatment of acronyms and EU terminology, as well as thousands of new words in both English and French. As one of the flagship products in the Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, the app features learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF FRENCH BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest vocabulary (2018 edition) with hundreds of thousands of words, spanning everything from technology and medicine to colloquial slang.
• More material for students on their year abroad or anyone living in the French speaking world e.g. sample utility bills, bank statements, rent agreements.
• Based on real language statistical evidence, both written and spoken, it's the most comprehensive, reliable, and up-to-date dictionary available.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Get even more with PREMIUM:
• Audio pronunciation - Learn words faster with the integrated pronunciations.
• Offline mode - Save words on your device and view them without internet connection.
• Priority support - Get support with priority for any app-related issues.
• No ads – Enjoy an ad-free learning experience.
PRICING & SUBSCRIPTIONS
Premium Subscription is available for $14.99/year. The Premium Subscription includes a free trial. After the trial period expires you will be charged for yearly subscription though your Apple ID account. Any unused portion of the free trial period will be forfeited when you purchase the subscription. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period. You can manage your subscription through your Account Settings.
• Updated 2018 database
• Offline mode feature
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Good but sometimes the search is slow for offline search
Still some room for improvement.
I absolutely love it!
I've been learning French for about a year now, and recently decided I needed to start practicing the four main abilities (e.g., writing, speaking, etc) more systematically in order to approve. Because I have and absolutely love the Italian version (Paravia) of this dictionary, I specifically looked to see if Oxford had a French version, and then immediately bought it. There are several reasons why I love this dictionary. Specifically, it has a large database of words, provides accurate and detailed translations, includes related french words in the definitions, and provides context words to help you distinguish the situations to use the words. The paid version also can be used online, which I appreciate. In addition, and particularly useful, a large portion of words also include idioms/sayings, which I've found are particularly difficult to understand when learning a new language. The Oxford dictionaries are helping me learn and refine two languages, and are one of my most used and go-to resources. Therefore, I highly recommend this app!
Best dictionary ever
Well, this is my fifth review and I still love this dictionary best. I’ve just discovered use of wild letters so I can find words that share the same root, which helps me increase my vocabulary. I use this dictionary --French-English— almost every day. It has wonderful examples, which I read for fun at times, superb customer support (yay, Nedialko!), and many other features I am simply not taking time to note now. If you need a translation dictionary, buy this one!
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 255.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Oxford French Dictionary Free IAP $9.99
- OFDFree_50 $4.99
- OFDFree_40 $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.