Oxford Italian Dictionary is the most complete and up-to-date Italian dictionary available today. With greater bilingual coverage than ever before, it captures idiomatic, colloquial, spoken, and written forms of both languages - Italian and English. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, the app features advanced search and learning tools, designed by a vastly experienced developer. The dictionary serves as a trusted source of reference and incorporates phrasefinders and cultural information for both cultures.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF ITALIAN BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest vocabulary (2018 edition), with over 300,000 words, phrases and meanings, and 450,000 translations.
• The app contains quick-reference verb tables, grammar notes and vocabulary lists, including specialized EU terminology.
• The included notes about grammar, phonetic symbols, verbs and abbreviations make it the perfect learning tool.
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current Italian at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• Updated 2018 database
• iOS 12 Support
• Beautifully integrated for iPhone XS
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good Italian English dictionary!
I use this Dictionary all the time – it used to be the first one I went to (I have several on my iPhone) it can be used off-line. Unfortunately after some update in 2018 the user interface became cumbersome. Multiple tabs are required to switch between Italian and English and to erase the previous entry. Also Tapping on any link in the dictionary does not work. For example to go to the verb list to see how a verb is conjugated no longer works. I tried to give feedback but was not successful. I dropped my rating to 4 stars. However it is still among my first choices for an Italian English dictionary. It includes good examples and thorough explanations.
This is my favorite app. So many so-called dictionaries give one word or overly simple definitions. This one, like it’s huge hardcover version, gives comprehensive information on every word. It’s like a portable language textbook at your fingertips.
Many definitions begin with a paragraph about subtle differences in usage. The many examples help a beginner like me understand how the word is used in sentences.
Other favorite functions: tap any word in the definition or example and you are sent to its definition. If it’s a verb, there is a link to a page with info on tenses. Another tap and you can hear the pronunciation. There are links to grammar explanations.
Like all similar apps it’s fast. But I love to explore the relationships between words and subtle synonyms. If I search from the English side I can take that info to the Italian side and study it further.........I could go on and on. Love it!
As a an ESL teacher for Italian students, I really appreciate the quality of this dictionary. How is this only $10? I also have the hard copy of this dictionary, which has been by my side for years. Now with the digital version, I am overwhelmed with joy. Nothing beats the convenience of the digital version. It is such a powerful language learning tool! I use it for learning/improving my Italian, too. In my opinion, this is the one and only English/Italian dictionary. Having used practically every available Italian/English dictionary, I believe this one far exceeds the rest.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.