Oxford Russian Dictionary is the guaranteed leader in its field. This fully updated and revised edition of the renowned dictionary includes new supplementary material with a correspondence section, grammar help, and special treatment of commonly used, but tricky words. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, the app features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF RUSSIAN BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest database (2018 edition) with over 500,000 words, phrases and meanings.
• Detailed coverage of the latest vocabulary, including business, specialist, and computing terminology.
• The app includes audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including those with varying pronunciations (Premium only)
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
Get even more with PREMIUM:
• Audio pronunciation - Learn words faster with the integrated pronunciations.
• Offline mode - Save words on your device and view them without internet connection.
• Priority support - Get support with priority for any app-related issues.
• No ads – Enjoy an ad-free learning experience.
PRICING & SUBSCRIPTIONS
Premium Subscription is available for $9.99/year. The Premium Subscription includes a free trial. After the trial period expires you will be charged for yearly subscription though your Apple ID account. Any unused portion of the free trial period will be forfeited when you purchase the subscription. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period. You can manage your subscription through your Account Settings.
• Updated 2018 database
• Offline mode feature
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Great! Will continue to buy!
Either I really haven't learned any Russian using this amazing dictionary (which is totally inconceivable!) everywhere from American language classrooms to the back rooms of Russian archives, then the poor reviewers here haven't really used it. I have loved and trusted this on/off line dictionary since I started learning Russian a decade ago. Why? Again, it has stood by me and been the most reliable around the world for language exams, archival translations, and everyday encounters. Better than Google Translate, obviously, even when I had a Google phone. Yes, it would be very very wonderful if your initial purchase grandfathered you into subsequent free updates, especially for a poor college student. And of course all dictionaries need to be taken into consideration with others (e.g MultiTran and WordReference and REAL RUSSIANS). But the cost of this dictionary has definitely been worth it for me up to this point. It's simply the electronic version of paper dictionaries most professors continue to use today (multiple editions of which they encourage students to buy) even if they won't admit it!
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for your positive comment!
Could be much better
I use this app because it’s an app, and my other, more complete resources are books or websites.
On one hand, it’s handy for what it is. It seems to have quite a few words.
On the other hand, it could be so much better. Eg, it could have the keyboard related to whether you do English->Russian (English KB), or the opposite (Cyrillic KB). There is no reason to have to select both.
For some reason I often can’t easily get rid of the previous word typed. The interface just doesn’t work as efficiently as one would hope (sometimes seems better than others).
But the thing that is most unfortunate is that declensions aren’t included. So you can end up searching for a word for which you don’t know the nominative/dictionary case, and not easily find it. Maybe this would just be too big, but it’s something to know and a negative when web-based options do do this.
So plus side: handy, Oxford-based; minus side: word lookup clunky, words not declined.
Still inferior to the original Oxford version on my iPhone 4, which I still use for the dictionary.
The current software company dropped the word forms that were available in the dictionary itself. Very disappointing. Makes my work harder.
The previous versions would detect the alphabet being used and automatically switch to the right language. Not this one.
The “Help” section is worse than pathetic.
The screen design now looks cartoonish and is more difficult to read, and it is poorly organized.
I’ve paid for the same Oxford Russian–English dictionary THREE TIMES as Oxford switched software companies, and the product has gotten worse each time. Oxford, if you’re listening, refund my money or bring back the original.
Addendum, Jan. 2019: A new message from the authors appeared this morning, and it was disappointing and ungrammatical. They said they updated the data base so maybe recents and favorites won’t work so I should delete them and re-add them. This app just keeps getting worse. Oxford, get a better developer.
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 222.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Oxford Russian Dictionary Free IAP $9.99
- ORDFree_50 $4.99
- Oxford Russian Subscription $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.