Oxford Russian Dictionary is the guaranteed leader in its field. This fully updated and revised edition of the renowned dictionary includes new supplementary material with a correspondence section, grammar help, and special treatment of commonly used, but tricky words. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, the app features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF RUSSIAN BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest database (2018 edition) with over 500,000 words, phrases and meanings.
• Detailed coverage of the latest vocabulary, including business, specialist, and computing terminology.
• The app includes audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including those with varying pronunciations.
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current Russian at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• Updated 2018 database
• iOS 12 Support
• Beautifully integrated for iPhone XS
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good but needs improvement
I like how this dictionary has a satisfactory amount of words ranging in the hundreds of thousands, and I like that they have different sections in the definition of a word so one can see how to use the word in different contexts and generally see how it is used. I also love how they added a pronunciation feature so now I can hear how the word is prounounced. That being said, they need to do more work on defining the distinctions between similiar words. For example, посещать and навещать both mean "to visit", but there is still a slight shade of difference between these words. посещать is usually used when saying you are visiting a museum or someone you are not that close with, while навещать is used when visiting people who are close friends or family. There are a lot of words like this in Russian, so when the dictionary just has the same definition for both words and doesn't define in what situations you can use each of them, it makes things difficult. Words like либо/или. Also, words that don't have an English equivalent need a big explanation. Like тоска, which is written as "melancholy/anguish", but is actually a complex Russian emotion of dissatisfaction that has a large scale of shades ranging from boredom to heartache.
Good and improving...
Generally a comprehensive dictionary as would be expected from Oxford. Wide variety of meanings and idioms, succinct and helpful grammatical notes. Occasionally even short explanatory essays (see “politically correct); more of these would be welcome. Hyperlinks to other entries are good but there are rare “duds” that do not work (probably < 5%).
My main wish — a minor objection, really — for next upgrade: do not revert to English entry and keyboard when exiting the app, or even when leaving the app without closing to consult another reference on one’s device. If I was working in Russian to English, I would like return to Russian to English, and vice versa.
So many great reasons to hate this app
Oxford has broken all the rules with their English-Russian dictionary. First, you don't charge old customers more money for reduced functionality. Second, you don't set up a new app that strips away all of the user preference data so that language learners lose their capacity to track progress. And third, you don't advertise features that don't exist.
There were some bugs in the old app. It loaded slowly and its orientation was somehow restricted whenever switching between apps. But its basic functionality was much more adequate than the current version. Oxford ought to refund all its app sales from this app, sell it for $5 or less, and then increase the price when a meaningful feature set has been implemented.
Now, in the new app, the app nags repeatedly for a review. So, here is a review. I use it. I hate it.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.