The Oxford Spanish Dictionary is the most trusted and widely adopted Spanish bilingual dictionary available. It is used as a key reference tool by language professionals as it offers over 300,000 words and phrases, 500,000 translations, and is full of grammatical usage information for both languages. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, the app features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF SPANISH BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest vocabulary (2018 edition), with over 300,000 words, phrases and meanings.
• Tens of thousands of regionally specific entries reflecting the unique richness and global adaptability of the Spanish language.
• 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including those with varying pronunciations (Premium only)
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current Spanish at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• Updated 2018 database
• iOS 12 Support
• Beautifully integrated for iPhone XS
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Extensive examples of usage
This dictionary has a great strength. That is the extensiveness of the examples of each word used in a phrase or sentence. For most words there are many examples.
At the same time, this may be a weakness. Some entries provide examples only and lack a simple listing of possible translations of a word. For an advanced learner this is fine, indeed excellent because examples are a better way of conveying nuances of meaning and usage in context. But for a beginner this is a less satisfactory solution.
For verb conjugations, the reliance on verb tables is a weakness. They present a model verb whose conjugation is similar to that of the verb you have looked up, are in small print, and do not show all forms of all tenses. For an advanced learner, this is fine. For a beginner, it may be less satisfactory. Some competing dictionaries list every form for every tense for every mood for every verb, a much more satisfying solution it behooves this dictionary to adopt.
Overall, I’d say if your knowledge of Spanish is already well advanced, this dictionary will serve you well. If you’re a beginner, other less sophisticated dictionaries may be adequate. Later you can graduate to this one, which as I wrote at the outset is commendable for the many examples of usage it provides.
Excellent app and dictionary
I've been using this app on my iPhone and iPad for 3-4 years now and it's very comprehensive, and convenient too if you're out and about and need to translate something. It's also updated quite frequently.
My only minor complaint is that I'd like a 'back' button so that, after checking a word, I can go back to the word list. This especially applies when using the Favorites list.
Best English-Spanish dictionary
I have been using the Oxford dictionary for many years, first in book form and later in digital and app forms. It has never disappointed me, and has served me well in my work as a translator.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.