Paintation is a simple yet powerful AI photo editor supporting neural style transfer, also known as deep art effects. Unlike many other apps that require uploading photos to a server in order to be transformed, Paintation relies on TensorFlow Lite technology to evaluate neural network locally on your device. For that reason, it can run in offline mode, and your photos never leave your device unless you decide to share them!
Paintation features a processing pipeline that consists of four stages allowing you to adjust the outcome by going back and forth. The stages are:
(1) Prepare -> (2) Stylize -> (3) Filter -> (4) Adjust
(1) PREPARE STAGE
The Prepare stage contains many basic and advance photo editing tools that enable you to adjust input for the Stylize stage:
1) Correct - flip and rotate an image
2) Rotate - fine rotation
3) Crop - arbitrary and constrained crop
4) Vanish - fill-in an arbitrary area of the image by surrounding pixels
5) Clone - clone stamp tool (tap and hold to edit stamps)
6) Selection - an optional selection that is applied as a mask for the following tools
9) Smooth - smooth image on one, and enhance details on the other side
10) Sharpen - sharpen and Gaussian blur tool
11) Noise - add noise (can improve the result for style transfer) and median blur
14) Vignette - adds a dark or light vignette
(2) STYLIZE STAGE
The Stylize stage contains 350 style images based on famous paintings that you can apply to your pics. Styles are divided into 14 groups:
1) Selection (various painters and periods)
2) Renaissance (Van Eyck, Botticelli, Da Vinci, Titian, Raphael, ...)
3) Baroque (Rubens, Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Velazquez, Van Dyck...)
4) Rococo (Fragonard, Reynolds, ...)
5) Neoclassicism (Winterhalter, Copley, ...)
6) Academicism (Knaus, De Blaas, ...)
7) Romanticism (Goya, Delacroix, ...)
8) Realism (Degas, Repin, ...)
9) Impressionism (Renoir, Monet, Manet, Tissot, Matisse, ...)
10) Post-Impressionism (Cezanne, Van Gogh, Toulouse-Lautrec, Malevich, ...)
11) Art Nouveau (Larsson, Mucha, Klimt, Schiele, ...)
12) Expressionism (Gauguin, Munch, Bloch, Dali, ...)
13) Cubism (Picasso, Chagall, Ernst, ...)
14) Abstract Art (Kandinsky, Picabia, Klee, Delaunay, Mondrian, ...)
The first group contains a selection of styles and it is free, while other groups contain premium styles and correspond to major art movements. Each style image contains an info button that is used to display additional info dialog containing links to the WikiArt.org page of the artwork and the artist.
(3) FILTER STAGE
The Filter stage, as the name suggests, contains many color filters that can further improve your result: Warm, Cold, Sepia, Black & White, B&W + Stretch, Bone, Ocean, Pink, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, Hot, Cool, Magma, Inferno, Plasma, Cividis, Threshold, Edges, Glowing Edges, and Negative.
(4) ADJUST STAGE
Finally, the Adjust stage brings most of the previously mentioned tools again allowing you to fine-tune the result.
In each stage, it is possible to adjust the strength of the applied transformation allowing better control over the desired output.
If the implemented processing pipeline cannot fit all the processing you have in plan, you can choose the current result as an input for the next processing cycle. The appropriate option is available from the share screen in the premium version.
When it comes to saving or sharing your work, there are three supported export options:
1) Full picture
2) Collage of original and transformed pictures
3) Collage of original, style, and output pictures
We would like to thank Google's Magenta team for their fast style transfer model used in the implementation of this app.
We would also like to thank Francesca Zama, afkrii, and Godisable Jacob from Pexels for some of the photographs used in making the app screenshots and video.
Minor improvements and bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
- Aleksandar Milosavljevic
- 66.6 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 13.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Aleksandar Milosavljevic
- In-App Purchases
- Paintation Premium $1.99
- Paintation Premium $4.99
- Paintation Premium $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.