Paintstorm Studio is created for professional digital painting. And a major role in this program play the brushes. We did our best so that you can easily and quickly adjust the brushes suitable for your painting style.
Anyone who has ever painted knows it's hard to overestimate the painting tool and the importance of all the seemingly insignificant details. We tried not to miss any of them. Our goal was to create an intuitive, simple-to-use but at the same time functionally powerful tool that brings the process of digital painting to a new level, making it as comfortable as possible.
- Full control of all brush options (Incredible possibilities for brush settings)
- Bristle brushes of any form and kind
- Stroke post correction (You can take an action on any option. Not only on the stroke thickness)
- Parameters binding to the perspective
- Dynamic interface (Global interface scale, panels scale, opacity, color, tab-lock)
- Custom panels
- Full controlled mask-brush (Each brush can work as mask for other brush)
- Takes underlayer's color while blending
- "Close gaps" function when you fill or select
- Individual hotkeys for any brushes
- Fast layer selection
- Smooth zoom and brush resize
- Dirty brush mode
- Stroke stabilizer
- Usable color mixer
- Different gradient strokes
- Mirror drawing
- Standart tools pack (Lasso, Magic wand, Crop, Fill, Gradient and etc)
- Control of the random amounts
- Photoshop PSD and ABR supported
- Tablets supported
- Pick-area now works not only for bristle brush, but for all brushes with GPU on.
- New function: "fast export" was added. it contain 2 in one. It include bunch of options to whole document export & selected layer export
- Crop tool was improved. Now it support: delete cropped pixels, automatically applies to active selection, magnetic binding, square form on shift
- From now when you flip group of layers or folders they will do it by whole group bounding box.
- Mixer panel from now is GPU. And will have only usual brush and blending mode (with turned off color amount and automatically picked-area) Also added few additional buttons in panel options: auto-undo in blending mode and pickarea in pciker mode
- Now you can paste an copied directly inside the mask layers
- New function image rotation added. It supports 90, -90, 180, flip horizontal & vertical, and do physically change orientation of whole canvas.
- Script now included auto-restore mode. Now if you have suddenly turn off power, crash, etc. Script will have preserved and restored with next opening. Save intervals - 1 min
- Now you have ability to flip content inside reference panel by same hotkeys as was to reverse canvas. Also there are few options.
- Now you can fast get BW colours on hotkeys as main & secondary, and same fast get back to previous colors on second press. Define hotkey >> Brush >> Toggle blackwhite color
- PNG files will saves with BG texture now too.
- No need each time activate anchor point in transform tool. Your last choice will be remembered.
- Anything that was copied to buffer from outer than Paintstorm, or from neighboring opened inside paintstorm document, will be pasted now directly in the visible middle of canvas
- New hotkey-function: fit to window . It will fit image (by it larger side) to program borders, without any gaps.
- Files format of long files name will shown on the tabs
- Inactive menu items in Edit and Selection menu will be colored to grey and non-pressable
- Bugs fixed
Ratings and Reviews
The most powerful painter I've used
I've used photoshop, painter, procreate, all great painting apps, but each cannot be customized as deeply as Paintstorm.
This is the only app that allows me to scale the text of the UI for my 4k screen. I'm increasingly farsighted now, and it's been frustrating that virtually no other apps make the consideration to adjust your UI font sizes for legibility as screen dpi gets more concentrated.
This is the only app that allows me to use a graph function to define EVERY SINGLE painting parameter availalable. Wacom's Art Pen barrel rotation is available for any parameter. I can twist for tip shape orientation, color, opacity, sequential stamp shape, anything.
I find it especially intuitive to use tilt for size, and this shines when using Apple Pencil thru iPad Pro. Wacom has a fatter tip, so it doesn't tilt so much, and that presents a problem for painter/photoshop... not so much with Paintstorm, because the graph function can be tweaked to be optimised for your tilt limitations.
Paintstorm Pro is the only app I have been able to a variable gradient to my brush... meaning I can adjust the orientation of the gradient, as I paint on the fly, using any parameter. Similar to Procreate, the blending is beautifully rendered, with none of the muddy washing common on older paint programs.
The graph functions allow enormous variability that make a lot more sense than so called particle brushes in painter (tho painter does have a flashy sound influenced parameter all you DJ's should check out). Painstorm offers real double brushes, deep texture tools, blending modes on brush strokes and or layers, mask options, GPU accelleration, etc etc etc! It really has all these options, everything described in the app store is accurate. Plus, seamless tile painting, kaleidescope, symetry, even brush stroke recorder that you can replay with larger scale brushes to make a video and higher resolution painting whaaaaat?
But this is not complicated. It is a complex tool suite. You make something complicated by unneccesarily requiring dependencies that aren't interoperable; but you make something complex by making a system that expands upon itself organically. The difference is profound.
You don't need specialized watercolor papers for a handful of quirky rendering brushes. Not when you can fully expand upon the qualities of a texture built into any brush, and follow automatically using the double brush as a blender.
Some complain that there is lag- this is a common problem when the throttle limitation is removed from the driver. You have every option available. Of course you are going to challenge your computer's engine. How you drive, wrecklessly or with finesse, is up to you. The other cause is simply the smoothing function, which trails your brush on a smoother path behind, rather than on top of your pointer.
Expect a learning curve, and expect resistence from old school fan boys. They might still believe that a finger is better than a stylus. If you know that you want more than just finger painting pressure... you want tilt, barrel rotation, and every parameter you deserve, then you know you want this app. And just look at that price... it's ridiculous to not buy it... even if just to try to ride the bull that you maybe can't conquer. Put some time into it and you'll find it completely worthwhile. I did.
Powerful but way too complicated
I love all the brushes and I made two paintings with this program that I liked and the renders just like paint! But even after that I felt I was still grappling with the interface which feels buggy and way to elaborate. I think this program suffers from a overly complicated interface. Every time I use it I need to relearn it. The controls on the screen are way too small and even though its nice and customizable I would rather it be simple and much less customizable so that the controls can stay out of the way.
There are some other shortcomings. I could not find rulers and although this program works with photoshop files, some of the basic editing aspects of photoshop are left out of this program, so it is definitely a painting program rather than an editing program.
It runs fine but I was aware that my computer was working on overdrive to run it. Not sure if others have had this issue or not.
Overall Paintstorm has some really nice features but is not the right tool for me.
I never write reviews so this should hopefully help you. I have used Adobe, Corel, Autodesk, and many other programs for drawing, animation, etc. I was looking for something that would be an easy, yet powerful program to use on my Wacom tablet so i can make so really cool images for my lectures (medical). This program was easy to use, has lots of options, is very reasonable priced, and was totally fun to use. I like how I could adjust almost everything on the fly to get the effect I wanted. Congrats on a well thought out program.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Sergei Komarov
- 56.4 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires macOS 10.7 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Paintstorm Studio Developers team
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.